Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Says Deadlifts are too risky. Thinks Olympic Lifts are super exercises. Discussion can end there.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Nothing. Literally the same movement to get the bar off the ground coupled with a shoulder shrug for minimal benefit because it's utilizing momentum. Its a Deadlift into a Shrug increasing risk of injury because of the extra momentum from the extra height of the bar when moving back towards the ground. Lendarios is not smart.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
What is safer about a clean pull vs a deadlift?

to start the amount of weight you are lifting is significantly lower.

on deadlift you keep your hips higher and static and then you extend your upper torso, in what it looks like a stiff movement, transferring all the weight down through your spine as you are extending it backwards.

In a clean pull, you are more of a spring, powered by your legs, with your butt closer to the ground than on a deadlift. Look at how he starts with his quads almost parallel with the ground.

Look at this comparison
1527613026993.png

Look at the height of the butt. and compare it with
deadlift-shoulders.jpg

That is a big difference in angle, the lower you are, the more Legs you use to lift the weight.

Khane Khane do you actually think those two are the same?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Lendarios Lendarios I disagree with pretty much everything you've said, but you've argued your position well and with good intent, so thanks.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Are you even paying attention to the graphic you posted? Here's The Mountain with a world record deadlift. Look at his angle when engaging and compare it to your "clean pull" bro.

The height of your butt, the position of your hips, what grip you prefer. All of these things are subject to an individuals own body and limitations. The clean pull is started with a deadlift whether you like it or not and you even trying to argue it is crazy.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
1527613610505.png

that right there is the moment he starts. Look at how high his butt is compared to the clean pull.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I stopped deadlifting about 4 years ago. Hit 425 at 170 bodyweight (2.5x bodyweight) and figured I was happy with that.

Never had any major back injuries, but I did start to get forearm pain (felt like a tendon rubbing over my elbow joint and wrist) anytime I went over about 300-320.

I honestly haven't missed it.

Khane

that right there is the moment he starts. Look at how high his butt is compared to the clean pull.

Doesn't surprise me you'd say that's the beginning of the lift even though the bar is flexed and the plates are clearly off the ground

But you keep arguing that the two lifts are different and that adding a shrug to a deadlift somehow makes it safer.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Doesn't surprise me you'd say that's the beginning of the lift even though the bar is flexed and the plates are clearly off the ground

But you keep arguing that the two lifts are different and that adding a shrug to a deadlift somehow makes it safer.

The shrugs means that you are not distributing the weight of the bar through your spine, instead the weight is kept in front of your center of gravity. You are never holding it with your back alone. also the back angle when the motion begins makes a huge difference . The clean pull is less efficient than the deadlift, and requires more muscle work from the legs.

Razzes

Trakanon Raider
I don't think you are grasping the idea of "risk vs reward" here.

Most people are amateurs lifting weights. Must people will do it with improper form,. Why because it is super easy to bend your back.

You make it sound like

1) it's hard to deadlift with good form

2) the risk of a game-ending injury is high if you bend your back a little

both 1) and 2) are false. If 2) was true there would be no crossfitter left.

Also, hip positioning has a lot to do with the ratio of torso/leg. People with longer legs vs torso will deadlift with the hips higher.

Anyway, deadlifts are fun and manly, so fuck it.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
God I hate when people say something is unsafe because they're too stupid to be able to do it properly. I don't think I've EVER felt soreness in my back from deadlifts. You know why? Cause I have proper fucking form. Your lats are nothing more than a stabilizer, same with you erectors -- they should NOT be exhausted from deadlifting. Quads, glutes, hamstrings are the primary movers in a deadlift. If you're feeling it in your back to the point its either sore for days or you're in pain, you're fucking doing it wrong.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
God I hate when people say something is unsafe because they're too stupid to be able to do it properly. I don't think I've EVER felt soreness in my back from deadlifts. You know why? Cause I have proper fucking form. Your lats are nothing more than a stabilizer, same with you erectors -- they should NOT be exhausted from deadlifting. Quads, glutes, hamstrings are the primary movers in a deadlift. If you're feeling it in your back to the point its either sore for days or you're in pain, you're fucking doing it wrong.
They always say don't lift like you're doing a back lift, but pretend you're pushing the floor away from you; like a leg press. It's really hard for people to feel that movement. Most people I've ever talked to say they never feel a dead lift in their hamstrings. That's the one place where you should be sore as fuck the day after. If you're not, you're doing them wrong.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Someone showed me an interesting thing to try at the gym during deadlifts. Put a 5 lb plate under the front part of your foot before lifting. This forces you to engage your hamstrings almost entirely and places very little stress on your lower back. I had a pretty bad issue with rounding and it's fixed it almost completely. I don't ever really have to worry about tweaking anything like I have before.