Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I realized I need a workout partner. Never ask for spots, but I did yesterday on week three, cycle 2 for for my bench. Got 235 for 7 on my 1+ set. Was very happy.
Did he touch the bar? Cause he's stealing gainz if he did.

Also, I prefer the fear of death so I always train alone.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Training alone definitely affects my squatting potential. On bench I'm confident a random gym bro can spot me if I ask him to so I have no shortage of confidence on that and OHP I don't really need a spot because I can just drop the weight if I need to. But squats I don't trust anyone to be able to actually spot me correctly so I never have confidence on max effort days. That combined with skipping leg day far too much in the past has left my numbers all kinds of fucked up. Slowly correcting it as I squat 3x a week now.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
You don't have a power rack? Set the pins to the right height and learn how to bail.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Which is why next week is a deload
Good man. 235x7 is solid, I don't think I could even do that, although 5/3/1 is much more of a peaking program than what I'm currently running.
I do all that. It doesn't instill confidence. The issue I have is all about confidence.
Yeah I somewhat understand, there's a lot of days I stop short especially with squatting and benching. Deadlifts are a different animal. Just gotta say YOLO, and pray you don't die.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Also re: deadlifts, I'm still following a beginner weight lifting program (phraks GSLP) that has me deadlifting 1x5 once a week. I'm up to 330lbs now and feel pretty good about how difficult it is. Right now I'm limited by my grip strength (I do mixed grip on the heavier lifts) and my ability to keep my back straight, which seems correct. I'm not sure if I should buy a lifting belt or straps or whatever. I kind of like doing it without gear and feel like I shouldn't be getting all geared up two months into barbell training.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Also re: deadlifts, I'm still following a beginner weight lifting program (phraks GSLP) that has me deadlifting 1x5 once a week. I'm up to 330lbs now and feel pretty good about how difficult it is. Right now I'm limited by my grip strength (I do mixed grip on the heavier lifts) and my ability to keep my back straight, which seems correct. I'm not sure if I should buy a lifting belt or straps or whatever. I kind of like doing it without gear and feel like I shouldn't be getting all geared up two months into barbell training.
Never use straps, start practicing a hook grip for heavy singles and doubles.

Can't hurt to start getting use to a belt, but you shouldn't need one to brace your core even at heavy weights

• 1Like

Khane

A belt isn't "gear". Lifting Suits are gear. Everyone who lifts should have a belt. They help you stay stable and safe.

Khane

Yea I'm not gonna argue with you about that. You can "bro out" all you want. I'll always use my belt.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Yea I'm not gonna argue with you about that. You can "bro out" all you want. I'll always use my belt.
Are you taking in a belly breath, expanding your stomach as much as possible and holding? Then a belt is helping you. It is not to help support you in any way.

Khane

It is not to help support you in any way.

It acts a brace. It is used precisely for support.

That's what taking in a deep breath and expanding your gut does... it helps the belt clamp tighter around your core. If your abs give out your back tries to pick up the slack and that's when injuries happen.

Belts are entirely for support and safety. Which also helps people lift more consequently.

Papashlapa

Lord Nagafen Raider

Get chalk. You've never felt forearm soreness until after your first deadlift workout with chalk. If your gym won't let you use chalk, get straps. But chalk is strictly superior. Edit: also nothing wrong with a belt, and is still considered a "raw" lift with belt. EliteFTS has good products, if you're in the market.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The risk vs reward ratio for deadlift is not worth it.
Why is this true for deadlifts and not for squats and bench press, or the many other lifts that put a tremendous amount of stress on the body?

• 1Like