Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
WOD and box. My wife does Crossfit so I hear shit like that all the time. It's like hipsters not wanting to call it workout and gym. There are also a bunch of people at my work who do it.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Fuck is a WOD?

And opiate you could do that at a regular gym for $20 instead of Crossfit for $1,205 per session.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Fuck is a WOD?

And opiate you could do that at a regular gym for $20 instead of Crossfit for $1,205 per session.
This. I know a guy who does crossfit shit at a regular gym. He just goes online to some website to see what the crossfit WOD is and does that every day at the gym.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yeah, I hadn't really looked into the cost, I just know that she was interested and I figured anything that keeps her motivated could be a good thing. But the local place here wants a $150 per month per person or some shit like that. Fuck that. I'm not much of a gym guy anyways, prefer to do shit on my own. I'll buy her some Jillian Michaels DVD's for $10 a piece and call it good.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
So I managed to get to 320lbs on my squat today. Think I've hit my max for a bit since I'm a little unsteady with that weight. :|

krysanth

Golden Knight of the Realm
Been getting back into lifting. I lift only at work, which is every third day at the firehouse.

I do a full body workout as follows

squat
deadlift
bench press
cable row
shoulder press
curls
tri pulldown

seeing imrpovements in weight lifting over a month and a half.

feels good to push weight again

On my off days I run 5 miles with one day resting

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Do you do them in that order? Never been a fan of full body workouts, but it seems solid, especially if you're doing the compound movements first.

Squat straight into deadlift sounds like death, though.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sooooo.... I haven't really read through this thread at all so forgive me if this has been covered:

Crossfit, good workout program or creepy fitness cult?
A little of both. I have to say, I'm seriously considering opening one up myself now. I know the owners of 5 crossfit boxes. It's growing like crazy. The one I go to he has well over 300 members and it's 200 bucks a month full time membership. Yeah.

Granted he has one of the bigger and more successful ones. And the thing is you can tailor it to be how you want. For instance at mine we have a barbell program that you can do Starting Strength or 5-3-1 as well as the crossfit stuff. Yes you can do that on your own for much less money, but the coaching and community is what you're paying for, not the use of the weights.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The ridiculous thing is they're basically bare bones. From the ones I've seen, they're less well equipped than a normal powerlifting gym. Just get some barbells, bumpers, kettlebells, tires, jump ropes, and pullup bars and you're set. I can't for the life of me figure out why they're so fucking expensive.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, some people aren't motivated to do things on their own. Becoming part of a community like CrossFit definitely helps a lot people, from what I can tell anyway.

Any meathead who wants to do CrossFit just looks the shit up online and has everyone at the gym staring at them like "wtf are you doing?"

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Grab a 20-30lb dumbbell and place it between your feet and lie down on a bench. Do 20-40 reps of leg curls.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
RDLs rape your hamstrings too. Basically same as stiff leg but starting from the top and using the stretch reflex. For me though, just doing low bar back squats has had a massive effect on my hamstrings.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I added RDL's about 2 months ago to my routine. My leg routine is currently:

Back Squat 3x3
Pin Squat 2x8
RDL 3x5
Bulgarian Split Squat 3x5
Calf Raises 3x12
Front Calf Raise 3x20

Bulgarian split squats hit your hamstring pretty well too. But they absolutely fry my glutes.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'll look into it. I also like that your back squat is 3x3. I was starting to raise the volume and was just like fuuuuck this shit. Same with deadlifts, I did 225 for 10 and just wanted to vomit from my head going up and down, up and down, up and down lol. Next set I just 275 for 3 and left. Could probably pull 315, but I changed my grip and my hip placement, it's a lot more back focused now.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
If I could do 3x5 at my current squat weight I would. But I just can't. And dropping the weight doesn't do me any good for progression, so I just said fuck it and dropped them to 3 rep sets.

My deadlifts I do 1x5. Any more than that and I can't stand for the next 2 days. It's weird though, because my best deadlift was 375x5. And I definitely worked my way up to it, but I don't remember having the issues I'm having now. Might just be old age and I can't recover from it as fast (was 26 or so when I pulled that). But I'm up to 340x5 at the moment and I feel like dogshit for half the week afterward. I'm also 10 pounds heavier, so I dunno what the fuck it is.