Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
I'll be 32 this month, so I'm the same way.

I generally do chest/bi, back, day off, shoulders/tri, legs, 2 days off. So I get 3 days between the mostly chest day and secondary triceps day, and mostly triceps day and secondary chest day. That said, my shoulders get fucking hammered. They're really getting 3 days of decent work within 4 days.
Lol. You two may as well still be in your late 20s, there is not a lot of difference. 30-40 though, just wait it'll creep up bit by bit. Turning the corner into the 40s and bam, the reality of aging hits you like a sledgehammer.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Lol. You two may as well still be in your late 20s, there is not a lot of difference. 30-40 though, just wait it'll creep up bit by bit. Turning the corner into the 40s and bam, the reality of aging hits you like a sledgehammer.
They have noooo idea.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I hope you guys are kidding because my body started going south at like 27. 33 now and my shoulders are in bad shape already.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I'm the strongest I've ever been, and just a little heavier than I'd like to be. Not sure what you mean by "going south" at 27. I could see going downhill in my 40s, but I'm still on an upswing in my 30s.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I'm 44. For me I can say I started to notice my reflexes, strength, stamina, etc start to dip at like 40. This year my eyes aren't as great.

30 is still prime I believe. But 35 it does start to decline, you just can't tell I guess. 40 for me I definately felt the change.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
Hell my natural test level is through the roof and it makes zero difference. Enjoy your thirties bros. It goes annoyingly quick.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Shit like that is going to have massive variation from one person to the next based on genetics/family history, how well they took care of themselves, past injuries and medical conditions etc. I don't feel like I've started "going downhill" at 35 too badly yet. Despite a lot of sports over the years my body is holding up pretty well without any chronic conditions (back, knees, shoulders etc are fine). I definitely have to work harder to stay in shape in terms of exercise and diet, though, and no question that injuries take longer to heal than they used to. I think of my parents at 66 and compare them to other people in the same age range, and some of those people seem like they're either 20 years older or younger despite being within a couple years of actual age.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm 44. For me I can say I started to notice my reflexes, strength, stamina, etc start to dip at like 40. This year my eyes aren't as great.

30 is still prime I believe. But 35 it does start to decline, you just can't tell I guess. 40 for me I definately felt the change.
I've started researching test boosters, to make sure that my 40's go well, training wise. So far, the only supplement that has given me noticeable results is ZMA. It's not a test booster per se, but it puts you in REM sleep longer, and helps you sleep deeper. I'm a business owner, and I always have stuff waking me up in the middle of the night. Not anymore. My wife is taking it too, and we both agree, it's the best sleep we've ever had. Since I'm healing faster, there's almost no DOMS, my joints feel better, and I wake up feeling good. As hard as I'm training, there is less stress to my CNS. I have more energy.

I can't believe there's an over the counter product that actually works better than advertised. And it's cheap too, maybe $10 for a month.

Here are some studies done on it (The anabolic effects of ZMA - Nutrition Express Articles). For the most part, it's positive data. Myself, I definitely noticed a difference after the first night, and my weights and reps are up. There's no placebo effect here. The quality of sleep has gone up so much, that I'd take this even if I wasn't training.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Jesus dude, that's beast mode
TY. And yet, my shoulders still look a little narrow. I've been doing low reps for the last three months to build strength, now that I'm upping reps, but keep the weight the same, perhaps I'll see a difference.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, that's some real man weight right there. I generally don't watch people at the gym, but a 2 plate press would definitely be worth watching.

I did bench press today and got 235 for 2. I was a bit disappointed. My previous one rep max was 235 over a year ago; that said, I was also about 10 pounds heavier. I'm sitting at 167 as of this morning. I think I'll just never be a good bench presser.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I've started researching test boosters, to make sure that my 40's go well, training wise. So far, the only supplement that has given me noticeable results is ZMA. It's not a test booster per se, but it puts you in REM sleep longer, and helps you sleep deeper. I'm a business owner, and I always have stuff waking me up in the middle of the night. Not anymore. My wife is taking it too, and we both agree, it's the best sleep we've ever had. Since I'm healing faster, there's almost no DOMS, my joints feel better, and I wake up feeling good. As hard as I'm training, there is less stress to my CNS. I have more energy.

I can't believe there's an over the counter product that actually works better than advertised. And it's cheap too, maybe $10 for a month.

Here are some studies done on it (The anabolic effects of ZMA - Nutrition Express Articles). For the most part, it's positive data. Myself, I definitely noticed a difference after the first night, and my weights and reps are up. There's no placebo effect here. The quality of sleep has gone up so much, that I'd take this even if I wasn't training.
ZMAs great if you're deficient and can have some pretty great sleep benefits. I tried it many years ago and went from some slight insomnia to sleeping for 12-13ish hours straight the first or second night I took it.

Unfortunately, the benefits didn't seem to last longer than a week or two and I've tried it since without any noticeable difference.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Yeah, that's some real man weight right there. I generally don't watch people at the gym, but a 2 plate press would definitely be worth watching.

I did bench press today and got 235 for 2. I was a bit disappointed. My previous one rep max was 235 over a year ago; that said, I was also about 10 pounds heavier. I'm sitting at 167 as of this morning. I think I'll just never be a good bench presser.
That is great for your weight. Not sure what you are expecting to lift man.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I always wanted to be able to get 275. Just the fact that I've had very little progress in probably the last 2 years is kind of disappointing. That said, it's pretty close to a 1.5x BW bench press.

I actually went and started reading some, and I think I'm actually okay with it. I've got about 6 inch wrists, so unless I start wearing wrist straps that will probably be a pretty big limiter.

I'll probably run another 1-3 cycles of 5/3/1 and see if I can get to 255 or 260 as a max (yesterday was the end of a 245 1RM cycle).

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thinking of making my own programming based on hitting a PR every time I'm in the gym around 6 exercises and 3, 5, and 8RM in a rotation, so each cycle would be a three week block, and the fatigue shouldn't be too bad since the heaviest I'll go is within a 3RM range.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Been doing a variation of Strong Lifts lately with A day being Squats, Bench, Deads and B day being Squats Military Press and Power Cleans. I thought I'd be way more sore than I am after doing it for a few weeks.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
One of the other detriments of getting older. I don't ever bother with trying to find 1 rep max. Too much risk and no one cares what my shitty 43 year old bench number is. I know there's plenty of guys powerlifting well past my age but thats probably greatly attributed to having good genetics for it.