Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There's a big difference in being a little sore but being functional and having DOMS. And the idiots in this thread claiming DOMS is a good indicator of a good workout are ridiculous. DOMS is a completely different level of "I can't even wash my goddamn hair today" of sore, yet people were defending that as being good. And that's what started the entire conversation.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
DOMS are an indicator of hitting a new muscle area, or being new to lifting in general. I didn't realize anyone was actually claiming that delayed onset muscle soreness was an indicator of having done work. However, at the same time, if you are new to lifting and you don't get any kind of soreness from a workout, you're probably doing it wrong. The study that Ambi linked had a baseline of soreness for each group, so it would be really hard to say (from looking at the study) that being sore or not wasn't a good indicator of workout worth. Now, rates of soreness being an indicator is misleading at best. Had that person ever worked that muscle group in a similar fashion or not; had that person worked out to that intensity for that muscle group? There's a lot of questions that go beyond the scope of that specific study. I was just addressing the study itself being a bad indicator beyond "level of soreness =/= quality of work" but a binary "did you get sore or not" question is still a valid indicator of work.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Eccentric focused training (ie what I mentioned in my post which caused so much vaginal bleeding) will give you DOMS -100%- even experienced lifters. But some guys don't like feeling "sore" due to how it is all but guaranteed when you do heavy negatives where soreness almost exclusive comes from (compared to the concentric portion of a lift they are not even in the same universe of the damage). Most guys have no clue about even how to maximally push their muscles because they have no clue about the actual work being done during different parts of a lift and assume dumb things.

Do you push your muscles to their peak capability? If so, explain to me in detail how -- a yes will not suffice. I doubt 99% of you are, and there is a *very* specific reason why. The answer to this is why most guys are not nearly as strong as they should be given the time they spend in the gym.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Eccentric focused training (ie what I mentioned in my post which caused so much vaginal bleeding) will give you DOMS -100%- even experienced lifters. But some guys don't like feeling "sore" due to how it is all but guaranteed when you do heavy negatives where soreness almost exclusive comes from (compared to the concentric portion of a lift they are not even in the same universe of the damage). Most guys have no clue about even how to maximally push their muscles because they have no clue about the actual work being done during different parts of a lift and assume dumb things.

Do you push your muscles to their peak capability? If so, explain to me in detail how -- a yes will not suffice. I doubt 99% of you are, and there is a *very* specific reason why. The answer to this is why most guys are not nearly as strong as they should be given the time they spend in the gym.
Pretty much this.

I go to the gym. I go home sore. Plain and simple. I am lifting most days the maximum I can lift with up to 9 sets on exercises. OR I am trying a new angle on a muscle.

Lift light? Me no go home sore. Pretty simple. Why is this a big deal?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yep

Resistance training, and particularly high loading during eccentric contractions, results in delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). Previously attributed to the accumulation of lactic acid during exercise, it is now understood that DOMS is due to structural damage in sarcomeres, particularly to the z-disks and contractile filaments. Z-disks provide the structural support for the contractile filaments of the sliding filament mechanism. Overloading of muscles damages these connections and the orientation of the contractile filaments .

Source: Boundless. ?Exercise-Induced Muscle Damage.? Boundless Anatomy and Physiology. Boundless, 21 Jul. 2015. Retrieved 09 Feb. 2016 fromExercise-Induced Muscle Damage

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
My poundages are reduced to 70% right now. I have a vein in my nose that needs cauterized. I'm getting uncontrollable nosebleeds, and had to make a trip to the ER. I bled half a day. I'm not used to working out the cold, like I have been this Winter.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
So i'm giving up the meth and attempting to actually put on some muscle. Anyone got a decent starting program for a beginner? For the past 3 months or so i've just been doing pushups and some crunch variations but winter is almost over and I want to actually start hitting some weights. Sadly I don't have access to a squat rack, only a bench and dumbbells. Won't have a spotter so preferably no going for maxes and whatnot. My diet still needs improvement but i'm working on it (mostly eating enough calories to gain weight). I do a protein shake after my workouts (60g whey protein, 1-2 cups oatmeal, 3-4 cups milk, maybe half a cup of peanut butter (i just put a few big spoons, i don't measure it)) but was also wondering if maybe I should snag some creatine or mass gainer to add for more calories. I would prefer to end up fairly ripped instead of just getting big (it's already easy for me since i'm so skinny) and I can already see a nice 4-pack and some chest developing from just what i've been doing.

Edit: Apparently the whey powder I use has 3g of creatine, too.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
What weight dumbbells? 1 legged squats can be a pretty good starting weight. Depending on how heavy the dumbells go it might even last you a while.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Hmm, not sure how high they go but i'd guess at least 60s, they might even have them up to 80s or 100s.

This is also only a 3-6month plan. I can actually get my license back now so by this summer I should have a car and then I can join a gym with all the equipment i'd ever need and a bunch i'll never need.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I never wonder in this thread, but here it goes.
Try doing do small sprints, max 10 sec to increase your testosterone. If you have 2 dumbbells you can do dumbbell thruster, a combination of a squat and a push ( in sets of 6-10) at heavy weights they can be a bitch. Pullups as well for a combined back and bicep workout.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Zombie, I'm not really sure how to work legs with just dumbells. The only thing I can think of is a dumbell squat

Dumbbell_Squat.png

Do as many reps as you need to feel the burn. You can also forgo the weights and do squat thrusts.

squat-thrusts.jpg

I have a question for everybody. Can someone either explain or point to an article that explains the different 'types' of workouts. I've always lifted for strength. I remember my coaches telling me that basically you do high weight low reps to get stronger quicker, and you do low weight high rep to get swole up. I think I get the basics of those, but there are also people who lift for other reasons, like for tone, or weight loss. How does your workout change for those goals? My wife and daughter started working out with me and right now I've got them on my strength routine because neither one wants bulging muscles, but I'd like to be better versed in the other options.

I also notice on the stationary bikes that they have preset programs for cardio and fat burning. What's the difference there? It looks like the fat burn is an easier workout but I can't tell for sure because that program doesn't work on the bikes I have access to.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It's pretty well accepted nowadays that training for definition, size, and strength all being completely different is mostly bunk.

Working out to be "toned" and weight loss is pretty much all on your diet. You might want to lower volume all around if you're on a severe calorie reduction since it will eafect your recovery and you'll be more susceptible to overtraining.

Overall, though, it's what works best for you and 5x5 and similar programs have always worked best for me.

The bike riding for cardio/fat loss is all about and aerobic vs anaerobic metabolism. The goal is to have more of the calories you burn be "fat" while for cardio the goal is to strengthen your heart/lungs and improve circulation.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Goblet squats, dumbbell lunges, and bulgarian split squats would work the hell out of your legs. It won't last you for very long, but a few months would probably be okay.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Meh, I needed to have a nasal cauterization yesterday, for my unstoppable nosebleeds. No working out until next Tuesday, Doctor's orders.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Hmm, not sure how high they go but i'd guess at least 60s, they might even have them up to 80s or 100s.

This is also only a 3-6month plan. I can actually get my license back now so by this summer I should have a car and then I can join a gym with all the equipment i'd ever need and a bunch i'll never need.
1 legged squats with 60lb dumbbells should easily last you the 6 months. Dumbbell bench should most likely last you as well, but if not you can always switch to flyes. Throw in 1 arm rows for your back, military press for your shoulders, alternate hammer with bicep curls and skullcrushers for triceps and you're good

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Holy fuck DO NOT listen to this ^^ retard. On anything in this thread. Ever.

Goddamn the guy looks like a Holocaust victim with zero experience lifting and you want him doing 1 legged squats with 60lb dumbbells? Could ambiturner honestly be any more fucking stupid? Normally your stupid pseudo bullshit can be tolerated, but in this case you are going to get someone hurt.

Let me do you a favor even though you're a Pats fan. If you're a beginner just stay away from forums like this or even worse reddit or bodybuilding.com, period, you will get loads of bad advice like the above.

I'll even point you in the right direction to someone who will educate you from knowing nothing.

Just go to the youtube channel Athleanx and listen to Jeff Cavaliere. He was a S&C trainer and chief physical therapist for the New York Mets. The guy knows his stuff and explains the actual science ie not broscience behind lifting and training for performance. Dont bother buying his training system, just watch the free videos. Not only will he give you the hows and whys, but most importantly as a beginner you will see how to lift with form which is everything starting out. It wont be powerlifting, its not focused on making you massive, but it will give you a good base to move on from if you want to go there. And you will add plenty of muscle since you are starting from nothing.

Most important thing I tell people starting out: its a marathon not a sprint....own that saying and you will keep focused. You'll want to spend a solid year just building a good base.....most guys you see who are big in the gym have been consistently doing it for years as the key is its a *lifestyle change* not just a hobby. Knowledge and proper form are going to get you the fastest gains and are your biggest ally, and since you are just starting out you will add more muscle in that first year than you ever will after. But you will fuck yourself if you go trying to do something your body cant handle. Be smart and be real with yourself, most people quit because they are not.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Holy fuck DO NOT listen to this ^^ retard. On anything in this thread. Ever.

Goddamn the guy looks like a Holocaust victim with zero experience lifting and you want him doing 1 legged squats with 60lb dumbbells? Could ambiturner honestly be any more fucking stupid? Normally your stupid pseudo bullshit can be tolerated, but in this case you are going to get someone hurt.

Let me do you a favor even though you're a Pats fan. If you're a beginner just stay away from forums like this or even worse reddit or bodybuilding.com, period, you will get loads of bad advice like the above.

I'll even point you in the right direction to someone who will educate you from knowing nothing.

Just go to the youtube channel Athleanx and listen to Jeff Cavaliere. He was a S&C trainer and chief physical therapist for the New York Mets. The guy knows his stuff and explains the actual science ie not broscience behind lifting and training for performance. Dont bother buying his training system, just watch the free videos. Not only will he give you the hows and whys, but most importantly as a beginner you will see how to lift with form which is everything starting out. It wont be powerlifting, its not focused on making you massive, but it will give you a good base to move on from if you want to go there. And you will add plenty of muscle since you are starting from nothing.

Most important thing I tell people starting out: its a marathon not a sprint....own that saying and you will keep focused. You'll want to spend a solid year just building a good base.....most guys you see who are big in the gym have been consistently doing it for years as the key is its a *lifestyle change* not just a hobby. Knowledge and proper form are going to get you the fastest gains and are your biggest ally, and since you are just starting out you will add more muscle in that first year than you ever will after. But you will fuck yourself if you go trying to do something your body cant handle. Be smart and be real with yourself, most people quit because they are not.
God damn you're retarded. He said his "gym" has nothing but dumbbells that go UP TO 60lbs and that's it. So i told him that's fine and something like 1 leg squats with 60lb dumbbells would be more than adequate for the 6 months until he joins a gym.

Nowhere did I mention starting weights for anything, just ideas for exercises with his limited equipment.

L2read and stop giving shitty advice.