Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's about getting your nervous system prepared for a heavy load. If you just say, warmed up with a high set of 8 at 225, you're going to get crushed when you do your max.

I can't speak for the sets from 405-445, but the idea is correct. You'd probably want to ask on a powerlifting forum though for a better idea of what the sets should be (Itlan could be right though).

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
OK...last night I tried with the 8 set buildup. Way too many sets. I got the 440 on set 7 up no problem. So easy that I may have gotten 3 with some assistance on that third rep. Went for what BB.com says would be my max weight. 470 slammed thru my chest to the floor. I was gassed. No way I can hit that weight with that many sets.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Brahma, I don't really require a warm up etc so you might want to try:

225x5, 275x3, 415x1, then go for the max.

But I'm designed funky, and how I lift etc is not normal.

Edit: Lol, forgot what I was going to ask. We have any people here able to do 100+ pushups at a time? Used to have a friend that could, was always jealous of it.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
8 sets with the majority of those only being singles is not a lot of sets at all. Most powerlifters will have 15+ main sets, depending on the program of course.

If you're not used to powering through singles and doubles, then maybe I can understand. Also, don't believe those 1RM calculators. It's a very, very rough estimate of your strength.

Did you jump from 440 to 470? Have you ever hit 440+ before?

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Brahma, I don't really require a warm up etc so you might want to try:

225x5, 275x3, 415x1, then go for the max.

But I'm designed funky, and how I lift etc is not normal.

Edit: Lol, forgot what I was going to ask. We have any people here able to do 100+ pushups at a time? Used to have a friend that could, was always jealous of it.
Tenks probably could, lanky fuck.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I saw some thing online a few weeks ago about how to get to the 100 pushups mark in a couple months of work. Seemed like it would work (I did it for a few weeks and went from 20-25 to 35-40 but now i'm doing weights instead).

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
8 sets with the majority of those only being singles is not a lot of sets at all. Most powerlifters will have 15+ main sets, depending on the program of course.

If you're not used to powering through singles and doubles, then maybe I can understand. Also, don't believe those 1RM calculators. It's a very, very rough estimate of your strength.

Did you jump from 440 to 470? Have you ever hit 440+ before?
Nah. Never even tried past 405.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Nah. Never even tried past 405.
Then those calculators don't mean shit. You should've worked up in 10 pound increments, your body was probably in shock from 470 hanging above it's chest.

God damn you're strong though.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Then those calculators don't mean shit. You should've worked up in 10 pound increments, your body was probably in shock from 470 hanging above it's chest.

God damn you're strong though.
LOL...maybe you missed the part where I said it pretty much slammed on my chest!

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Well today is our gyms (and a couple other gym's are joining in) bench press competition. We figure that 435 will win my weight class. I SHOULD win this. Free gym membership on the line here! Wish me luck.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Well that was the most boring comp ever. Everyone backed out when they saw who was in their weight classes. Such bullshit. I won Super Heavy at 425.

Warrian

╰⋃╯ლ(´ڡ`ლ)
Well that was the most boring comp ever. Everyone backed out when they saw who was in their weight classes. Such bullshit. I won Super Heavy at 425.
Were you bringing the bar all the way down to your chest with a pause rep? Just curious since I saw your video doing 315 and your reps were at least 4 inches away from your chest.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Were you bringing the bar all the way down to your chest with a pause rep? Just curious since I saw your video doing 315 and your reps were at least 4 inches away from your chest.
You have to touch your chest. Ass and back must remain on bench. Bouncing not allowed.

Warrian

╰⋃╯ლ(´ڡ`ლ)
You have to touch your chest. Ass and back must remain on bench. Bouncing not allowed.
Sorry if I missed it, but what's your typical chest routine? I'm looking to do something a little different... I can feel myself starting to plateau after I hit 365. I'm wondering if I should just start eating more or change up the routine a little. I'm not really looking to be a power lifter or doing a ton of sets with higher weight and low reps.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Sorry if I missed it, but what's your typical chest routine? I'm looking to do something a little different... I can feel myself starting to plateau after I hit 365. I'm wondering if I should just start eating more or change up the routine a little. I'm not really looking to be a power lifter or doing a ton of sets with higher weight and low reps.
I do flat/incline/decline 3 sets of 10 each. I then do cables high/low/mid 3 sets of 10. I then finish off with machines, at lighter weight flat/incline/decline for 3 sets of 10. That's 3 of the 4 weeks a month.

I then swap to machines primarily and benches as finishers. cables always in the middle.

My bench is different in a couple ways. I either never touch my chest...like 3 inches above. Or I rest the weight on my chest for 2 seconds. (lower weight of course) keeping the same reps and sets.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
I do flat/incline/decline 3 sets of 10 each. I then do cables high/low/mid 3 sets of 10. I then finish off with machines, at lighter weight flat/incline/decline for 3 sets of 10. That's 3 of the 4 weeks a month.
So for chest, you're doing 27 sets? Jesus fuck. If that's what's required to push 450, gonna go ahead and scratch that off my bucket list. Do you do any cardio? Supplemental muscles with chest? I usually do Chest/Bi's, Back/Tri's, Shoulders/Traps, Legs and work in abdomen work throughout the week. With 20-30 mins of cardio, I'm already at the gym for 70-90 minutes. It sounds like you're there for at least 2 hours, maybe 3. Fuck that.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
No. Supplemental sets. My gym routine is never more than an hour really unless I talk to scrubs. 30-40 minutes for back and legs depending on exercises. Not there long at all. Longest day is shoulders...which may go like 1 hour 15 minutes.

Chest Monday
Back Tuesday
Shoulders Wednesday
Legs Thursday
Arms/Core Friday
Off Weekends usually.