Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's like you don't understand the point behind working out.
Yes, because everyone who works out has the exact same goals.

And one of those goals is to impinge my shoulders by doing stupid fucking btn presses. You got it bro.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Shoulders are delicate and get more delicate as you get older. I'd err on the side of taking care of them.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Ok

Fuck that behind the neck shit. I didn't even attempt them. Even taking the bar off the damn bench feels awkward.

I was able to get 280 on the standing press ( got the 405 on my normal incline/shoulder bench). It wasn't that my shoulders were weak...It was the balance and my fuckin core. My spine felt like it was going to be crushed!

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I cannot believe people in this thread do behind the neck lifts and actually recommend them to others. There is almost no scenario where doing behind the neck lifts involving the shoulders is a good idea. The shoulder joint just does not work that way.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Love how I got negged for saying btn presses are shit.

Also Brahm, if you're not used to doing it standing your form may be off and you may be leaning way too much. For the record your max is about 100 pounds more than mine lmao. My shoulders are currently a mess though, I should probably see a physio.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Love how I got negged for saying btn presses are shit.

Also Brahm, if you're not used to doing it standing your form may be off and you may be leaning way too much. For the record your max is about 100 pounds more than mine lmao. My shoulders are currently a mess though, I should probably see a physio.
Yeah...and the one guy I could have asked for proper technique was not at the gym.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
I wish I could be disappointed to only bench 280. If I were you I would spot guys like me all day at the gym and pick their failed bench presses off their chest and press them overhead before I racked it.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah...and the one guy I could have asked for proper technique was not at the gym.
The main difference is you're locking the weight over your head when standing, versus when sitting it's more like you're locking it above your chest. Personally prefer standing but whatever works for you.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I wish I could be disappointed to only bench 280. If I were you I would spot guys like me all day at the gym and pick their failed bench presses off their chest and press them overhead before I racked it.
Lol... I now have a strange desire to see this happen at some point (when I sign up for a real gym).

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
First day hitting the weights today, it kicked my butt. Ran out of juice on some of them before I could get all the sets in that I wanted but I guess it gives me goals to work up to. All sets of 10:

Bench: 45, 65, 85, 85 (barbell)
skull crushers: 35, 35, 35
bent over rows: 20, 20 (two sets each arm)
shoulder press: 15, 15, 15 (two dumbbells)
one legged squats: 35, 35 (two sets each leg)

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
First day hitting the weights today, it kicked my butt. Ran out of juice on some of them before I could get all the sets in that I wanted but I guess it gives me goals to work up to. All sets of 10:

Bench: 45, 65, 85, 85 (barbell)
skull crushers: 35, 35, 35
bent over rows: 20, 20 (two sets each arm)
shoulder press: 15, 15, 15 (two dumbbells)
one legged squats: 35, 35 (two sets each leg)
Ummm. Pick a body part for the day man.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Eh, I do an upper/lower split with upper back work every day. But yeah, idk why those squats were randomly thrown in there. Or why shoulder press was done at the end.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
When you're a super beginner, you dont need to split. The body is so unaccustomed to dealing with the stress you are putting on your muscles, that 3 sets for each muscle group is likely sufficient. In the very beginning stages of starting a routine. That's how I was when I started lifting as a teenager and everyone else who started as skin and bone.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
When you're a super beginner, you dont need to split. The body is so unaccustomed to dealing with the stress you are putting on your muscles, that 3 sets for each muscle group is likely sufficient. In the very beginning stages of starting a routine. That's how I was when I started lifting as a teenager and everyone else who started as skin and bone.

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
NOT doing full body workouts as a beginner is stupid.

Most people that start out lifting can easily go 3-4 months of three full body workouts per week before they need to ease off and focus on single body parts. And that's if they stick with the regime. Most normal people who miss some workouts and don't always eat/sleep well can probably do 6-9 months of full body.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Shoulders are delicate and get more delicate as you get older. I'd err on the side of taking care of them.
Shoulders are delicate, period. And yeah, you've got to be cautious with them at all times. I don't train to failure on shoulders presses for a reason.