Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Papashlapa

Lord Nagafen Raider
Because medical science can repair a fucked up knee/shoulder a lot better than it can fix a fucked up back.

Also the amount of weight you have to do in bench press in order to fuck up your shoulder is a lot, an amateur would have a very hard time fucking their body doing bench presses.
With deadlift, any person of the street can do 125 pounds deadlift and fuck their back in the process.

I don't think you should do back-squads with a spotter, do it as much as you can, and when u cant, you walk out of it. That guy behind you its not going to hold the weight when those 300-400 come crushing down.

Practice escaping a backsquad. Practice it at low weights, know your body, know when you are about to give out and then you bail out safely.

some quick search for walking out of a squat.

Or just squat in a power rack with pins set slightly below your ideal depth...

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Alright.... never been great at getting in good shape. Basically tall dad bod kind of deal. Skinny arms soft gut. Ive recently gone over the year from 210 to 190 and im 6ft1.

Ive been doing some running and hour long steep incline fast walks. Started because of failing a joke work physical because 6 mins walking st 7% I was exceeding a 140 heart rate. Doctor wants me to do a stress test because after a month off work due to it, I tried my like 5th time and passed with like a 130 despite being on 2 atenolol (beta blocker) My dad has various issues like SVT.

Due to the time off, I started to apply to various LEO. Ive continued to run but slacked off on pushups etc. Finding it scary how fast I sent from doing like 25 to 10 being rough... But ive passed multiple agencies obstacle courses and did the 1.5 mile runs in like 14:20 out of allowed 15:50.

The agency i really want the academy starts sort soon. Start of july. So now I'm needing to find an effective beginners program that will work best to Gerry me some basic strength training. The academy pre fitness guide for working on is meant for like 3-4 months prior but the hiring process has been quick 1.5 months from job posted to academy.

Their pre fitness calls for pushup, sit up, leg raises, and 30+ minute sustained runs. Situps and leg raises a little painful without a pillow under my low back because i have a blown disc. Had surgery so I'm not debilitated, but aggravated it and seems to stick around. So long duration sitting gives me sciatic leg pain, but when i do situps etc, I get a popping sensation on every one if I don't have that pillow. Oh also need to do pullups which using steel rafter at home I struggle to do a couple...

Such a broke dick I might be best staying in my cakewalk federal contract job. But I'm taking a pay cut as is to pursue my dream and all that happy horseshit.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Alright.... never been great at getting in good shape. Basically tall dad bod kind of deal. Skinny arms soft gut. Ive recently gone over the year from 210 to 190 and im 6ft1.

Ive been doing some running and hour long steep incline fast walks. Started because of failing a joke work physical because 6 mins walking st 7% I was exceeding a 140 heart rate. Doctor wants me to do a stress test because after a month off work due to it, I tried my like 5th time and passed with like a 130 despite being on 2 atenolol (beta blocker) My dad has various issues like SVT.

Due to the time off, I started to apply to various LEO. Ive continued to run but slacked off on pushups etc. Finding it scary how fast I sent from doing like 25 to 10 being rough... But ive passed multiple agencies obstacle courses and did the 1.5 mile runs in like 14:20 out of allowed 15:50.

The agency i really want the academy starts sort soon. Start of july. So now I'm needing to find an effective beginners program that will work best to Gerry me some basic strength training. The academy pre fitness guide for working on is meant for like 3-4 months prior but the hiring process has been quick 1.5 months from job posted to academy.

Their pre fitness calls for pushup, sit up, leg raises, and 30+ minute sustained runs. Situps and leg raises a little painful without a pillow under my low back because i have a blown disc. Had surgery so I'm not debilitated, but aggravated it and seems to stick around. So long duration sitting gives me sciatic leg pain, but when i do situps etc, I get a popping sensation on every one if I don't have that pillow. Oh also need to do pullups which using steel rafter at home I struggle to do a couple...

Such a broke dick I might be best staying in my cakewalk federal contract job. But I'm taking a pay cut as is to pursue my dream and all that happy horseshit.
You can look at recommended prep for events like Tough Mudder and Spartan races.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Those are pretty much all cardio and body weight (the training exercises). He sounds like he wants to get into actual weight training.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Oh I got the impression he wants to get ready for the fitness test.

Sludig

Oh I got the impression he wants to get ready for the fitness test.
I don't know what I need I guess you could say. Im not sure if I should focus on just the listed excersizes or more.

Ive passed the PT test, its just thats the starting point. Thru academy I will be doing things not on the PT test and the public guide looks intimidating given my current fitness level and complicating injury. Generally PT in the mornings then spending the day on arrest control is goingto be rough.

Heres the pre academy thing. PdF

https://www.jeffco.us/DocumentCenter/View/598

Sludig

Just follow that program.
Problem is just time with like a month until academy. Not sure if they expect you to be performing to the end of that training regimine day 1 or not. Our state patrol I know is more hardcore. I Might be more ok given my agency is smaller and may have different standards than jeffcos own applicants. They are only one not to have had me done a run and obstacle prehire. Also being an old man at 32 might save me some on testing.

Im setting to work on that pdf. Just wasnt sure if anything extra may be helpful in accelerating or broadening gains. Just for the off chance actually going to see a chiro about my back since on my time table I wont have time to get time off for dr visits and a follow up mri to see if I need a follow up microdiscectomy. Insurance had. Changed so would be starting over with new doc and ins. Would be different again in a month if im hired.

Maximize hydration, plenty of protein. Anything else smart to help myself out?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

I havne't followed this much but I hear it frequently recommended to LEO-types looking for strength + endurance training, which to me is "How can I run down some perp, tackle him, and then subdue him.":

You might also learn a lot from:
getting_started - Fitness

But I think following that Jefferson County Fitness guide and doing what you can with it is a good bet, while making non-retarded food choices (which you're already doing if you dropped 20lbs in the last year). At the very least it'll get your body used to doing movements that they expect you to do.

Sludig

Went with the wife to her trainer. Got embarrassed with how fast my little shrimp arms got tired after doing various power band and other beginner pull up options. Worked on a bunch of things for my shoulders since pullups/pushups are probably my weakest things. For my sciatic issues from my blown disc had me doing sideways lunges and stuff.

I guess I need to find out what kind of situps we have to do in academy. (feet braced vs not, where your hands can be. I struggle bad with behind the head but flat against chest or suspended in air by shoulders (not cheating them for momentum) is much better. Biggest issue. Every fucking situp if I dont have a pillow is popping my back and quickly starts to hurt. Not sure if there is going to be a possibility of a little bit of padding support.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Went with the wife to her trainer. Got embarrassed with how fast my little shrimp arms got tired after doing various power band and other beginner pull up options. Worked on a bunch of things for my shoulders since pullups/pushups are probably my weakest things. For my sciatic issues from my blown disc had me doing sideways lunges and stuff.

I guess I need to find out what kind of situps we have to do in academy. (feet braced vs not, where your hands can be. I struggle bad with behind the head but flat against chest or suspended in air by shoulders (not cheating them for momentum) is much better. Biggest issue. Every fucking situp if I dont have a pillow is popping my back and quickly starts to hurt. Not sure if there is going to be a possibility of a little bit of padding support.

It's probably not standardized, but Nevada POST had your feet braced and your fingers had to stay behind the ears.

My suggestion would be to do weighted pushups, sit ups, and pull ups. You could also see about wearing some sort of brace for back support under your shirt since it's probably not against the rules. A lot of our guys wore knee braces for the running so don't see how this would be any different.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Depending on how bad he means they're a weak point, going straight to weighted variants might not be the best of ideas.

On a side note, anyone know where I can find a decent diet plan (cheap, I can't be spending $150 a week on food) for losing a little belly fat? I want some nice abs and will probably have to burn a little belly fat to achieve that vs just working them.

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
Depending on how bad he means they're a weak point, going straight to weighted variants might not be the best of ideas.

On a side note, anyone know where I can find a decent diet plan (cheap, I can't be spending $150 a week on food) for losing a little belly fat? I want some nice abs and will probably have to burn a little belly fat to achieve that vs just working them.

I always see a bunch of diet plans in the magazine cosmopolitan that say they can magically target fat loss results on specific parts of your body, maybe try that.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 3 users

Sludig

Speaking as the other skinny fat sack of shit. But this year when I've dropped 20 in 4-5 months, and previous times. Big things are portion control and not eating out. I am blessed in that I am fairly happy eating bachelor food. IE a lunch of a can of kidney beans with some seasoning on it is great.

Breakfasts when I'm trying to be good is usually 2-3 fried eggs maybe on something 100% whole wheat. (not just the bullshit fake "wheat" or made w/ WW) Or my other big go to is a blender cup of like 2-3 icecubes, big scoop of peanut butter, 1 banana and half full of unsweetened almond milk. Great smoothie and I like both options for keeping me fuller longer. I also really like the Oikos triple zero greek yogurt. Low cal, high protein and high fiber because of powdered chicory root, it's like metamusil in a yogurt. I had to stop eating it though as I'm either getting lactose intolerant or it otherwise gives me some pain and gas.

Harder in summer but I will usually try sipping hot tea all day helps keep cravings down. Lunch like I said something simple like frozen bag of veggies of some kind or can of beans. If you go to costco, they sell bulk packages of boneless skinless sardines in olive oil. Ewww gross but these are actually I find really good and go great either with Cholula or I'll dump them into something mash them up and kinda make a meaty soup/chili out of whatever. (Bad example because it's fucking ramen but I like the Thai Tom Yum seafood ramen with the sardines in there is amazing) I need to learn to make them, but thick soups of lentils with maybe some meat are supposed to be great cheap and really not that hard, but I'm a lazy fuck who didnt want to soak shit over night etc.

I recently discovered another way of getting veggies in me is a small stovetop steamer pan and just steaming the shit out of mini carrots and broccoli with a little salt and pepper at the end. I also like sauteing onion and peppers in a tiny bit of oil and coating in a bit of chili powder, red pepper, and other seasonings. Can always marinate in a bag chicken thighs with teriyaki, bbq, whatever also is a decent cheap lean protein though too much sauce is of course a ton of sugar. I try to watch for the occasional big sales on lean burger and buy a ton use it in various things.

Basically I hated going gourmet or anything fancy that combined takes like 1hour plus to cook, so I've always been a big fan of breaking it down into the more base ingredients and figuring out how to eat them.
Stay out of the processed chips/carbs/granola bars/etc anything from a bag.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider

Any diet plan that promises it will target belly fat is a scam. Most "diet plans" are scams, but most work anyway. Pick one that you like the sound of and includes foods you enjoy.

Start a food journal and be 100% honest with yourself for 14 days. Most good nutritionists require this anyway. Pay attention to what you eat.

The easiest diet? Cut out 200 calories a day. Another easy diet? Cut out all foods that begin with the letter "B," or, if blueberries are your favorite food, choose any other arbitrary letter.

The hardest part of any diet is making the lifestyle change. Diets don't fail because they're based in bad science, but most often because people don't adhere to them. There's a lot of reasons people choose diets they don't stick to, and a good nutritionist will guide you towards what works for you long-term and is sustainable path for your preferences.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm switching to a cut now and took another progress pic. Below left is me right before I jumped off keto in Oct 2017 @ 192lbs. I started working out more seriously about two months ago. I was 217lbs at that point, but didn't take a progress pic. Below right is tonight @225lbs. I'm 6'2"

1527994680172.png

I also changed a light bulb :D

Up till now I've been strictly following a basic beginner lifting routine: http://i.stack.imgur.com/OUcEY.png and eating 3200calories, 200g protein. My calculated 1rm (left) and my 3x5 rep weights (right) for the big three lifts look like this:
1527994795852.png
1527995679193.png

I was kind of hoping to switch to a cut when my big three combined hit 1klbs, but I figure it's time to lose some weight anyway. I'm getting tired of eating so much.

Last month when I checked in I was having some problems squatting. It's still my weakest lift, but I've improved it a lot and it feels pretty good. The last two times I've felt light-headed when squatting. I don't know if that's because of the hotter weather, or the weight is high enough to tax my body in a different way. Or both.

The only lift I haven't made consistent progress on is my bent over row. I've failed to get 3x5 twice now, both times at 190lbs. With my program a failure to get 3x5 sets back the weight 20%. I'm almost back at 190lbs and I think I might fail it again. I'm not sure why I'm not progressing in it. It's just really hard to get the last inch of motion for me.

I'm up to 30lbs on my weighted belt for pullups which I'm proud of. I was barely able to do a pullup when I started working out.

I don't have many specific plans now. I'll work it out but right now it's loosely:
1. Target 2200kcal, 200g protein.
2. Intermittent fasting between noon and 8PM.
3. Keep doing the same workout, but deload the weights and try to reduce the duration of the workout. I don't know if I'll be able to make gains or not, but I don't really care.
4. I started a couch to 5k program tonight. I'd like to run a 5k sometime this summer, and a 10k this fall.
5. I might do HIIT sprints or something, not sure.

I don't know how long I'll stay on a diet. At least two months.

Any thoughts / advice are welcome.

Last edited: