Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
My friend explained it to me once that if you hit a PR, you're most likely going to lift like shit for the next few lifts, mainly because a new PR taxes your CNS moreso than anything else, and when you're an advanced lifter, it takes a couple months for it to recover?

Idk, he's a fucking meathead.

As for squats, going from 3 times a week to once really killed my strength levels. Like... badly.

Also, you Wakandans do delts on back day or shoulder day? One dude does them on chest day, that's a little too wild for me.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I hit them on shoulder day, since they're the shoulder muscles. I do rear delts (facepulls) on back day, though.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah I only did side delts today and rear delts on back day. Whatever lol.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Technically, if you bench press a lot (flat or incline), your anterior deltoids already get a ton of work. Personally I do flat, incline, and also military press, so my anterior delts get a fuckton of work. I only do side lateral raises for medial delts (and I've been having some kind of pain in my upper traps doing them recently), and face pulls for posterior.

At some point I will probably have to build up the medial and posterior because I'll develop a pretty large imbalance between them.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Whoa bro. It's either lateral raise or side raise. Don't be getting all redundant on me. Don't be calling front raises front laterals either.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thinking of adding a 3rd leg day per week. Tues light, Thurs heavy, Sat/Sun light. What you guys think?

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Thinking of adding a 3rd leg day per week. Tues light, Thurs heavy, Sat/Sun light. What you guys think?
I have legs like tree trunks, and do 1 day a week. How much cardio are you doing? Any running, biking etc? I guess cycling on the weekends has helped beef them up or something, as I always see people complaining about legs. Mine are pretty big/defined - easily some of the biggest at my gym - calves as well (which also only get hit 1 time a week). What are you doing for legs?

Got my weak ass back in to the gym after small break. Going with extremely basic program atm:

Tuesday:
5x5 Chin-ups with added weight
5x5 Front Squat
5x5 Bench

Friday
5x5 Overhead press (standing)
5x5 Deadlift

Plan is to put on more weight on the bar every week until fail and then think about a new scheme.

This picture makes me want to go back and do some more deadlifting
rrr_img_42775.jpg

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not knowing how big the guy is, I can't really say for sure, but I have my doubts that his physique was achieved using only body weight exercises. That said, the guy is small anyway, and the only reason he looks like he does is due to low body fat.

He certainly looks to have a good deal of strength though, but like I said, I doubt that was all through body weight only (he also uses chains in the video, does bench press, dips with belt, etc, which obviously makes it not body weight...plus he's in a gym for fucking half of it). If it was, he could've gotten to that point a LOT quicker by using weights.

I guess my question just becomes, why would you want to restrict yourself to doing only body weight routines? The whole point should be to stress your body in a way that makes it improve (whether that be for aesthetics or performance). Using weights is a good way to progressively stress your body to force it to adapt. In fact, it's the only way to. Using body weight only your body will pretty quickly get used to the stresses your body can provide...and then stall out.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Functional strength? Idk. Some people like to contort their bodies in strange ways and shit, like hanging sideways on poles. Never understood that, but everyone has their own goals in mind I guess.