Armenia

woot!

Trakanon Raider
Just got back from a 2 weeks journey through Armenia + Artsakh (it's a fairly small country, about the size of Belgium).
All in all, fantastic trip ! I'll share a few things that I enjoyed there, so that you get an idea what to expect.

-Fantastic landscapes. It's a landlocked mountainous country (avg altitude is ... 5,900 feet (1,800 metres) above sea level. If you enjoy hiking/trekking, this will be paradise for you*
(*in winter you might get devoured by a pack of wolves)
-Rich history / culture. Many medieval monasteries, built in gorgeous locations, with stories/legends attached to them.
-Nice people. Some people might think that a lot of Armenian males look like mobsters, or grizzled war vets. Well ... a lot of them might actually be ! but they are really super nice. You always feel welcome (always try to learn a couple words from the local language, goes a long way ! )
This might be linked to the fact that there is literally no tourists (I mean no "non-armenian tourists", in two weeks, outside of the capital city, we only met a group of swiss trekkers (twice ! ), so the local's curiosity towards you is genuine, they are not trying to sell anything to you.
-Clean and comfortable. Pretty much on par with european standards. Both in the streets and in the kitchen. It's not a country where you'll get sick.
-Cheap. Cost of living / accommodations / transportations are dirt cheap. Excellent bang for your bucks :p
-Food was seriously delicious. The quality of their fruits and vegetables is far better than anything you can get in the US/europe, AND they know how to season it and make it tasty (I am looking at you Romania ! How do you get your food so bland with the ingredients you have is beyond me >_< ). Lots of grilled meats, confit vegetables and roasted potatoes.
And as mentioned previously, the country is clean : No traveler's diarrhea here. Expect to get a couple extra pounds (or ten).

Note about language : pretty much everyone knows russian there, so if you speak it you'll have a great time. If you only speak english, you'll do fine in the major cities, but in the countryside it will be uncommon. Hiring a private guide/translator for your stay is not that expensive and might be a good option (for ex : Armenia Travel agency)

DSC06370.jpg

Zvarnots ruins, close to Yerevan (with Ararat peak in the background)

DSC06636_HDR.jpg
Hagpath monastery

DSC06707.jpg
the Odzun fault

DSC06784_HDR.jpg
Lake Sevan

DSC06831.jpg
invited by locals to toast with them in the graveyard

DSC06893_HDR.jpg

Dadivank monastery (in Artsakh / High Karabakh)

a few more pics in the Your Own Photography thread

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

kudos

<Banned>
Does every woman look like Kim Kardashian? That might make me switch a trip from Budapest to here if so.