Armenia

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

woot!

Trakanon Raider
Just got back from a 2 weeks journey through Armenia + Artsakh (it's a fairly small country, about the size of Belgium).
All in all, fantastic trip ! I'll share a few things that I enjoyed there, so that you get an idea what to expect.

-Fantastic landscapes. It's a landlocked mountainous country (avg altitude is ... 5,900 feet (1,800 metres) above sea level. If you enjoy hiking/trekking, this will be paradise for you*
(*in winter you might get devoured by a pack of wolves)
-Rich history / culture. Many medieval monasteries, built in gorgeous locations, with stories/legends attached to them.
-Nice people. Some people might think that a lot of Armenian males look like mobsters, or grizzled war vets. Well ... a lot of them might actually be ! but they are really super nice. You always feel welcome (always try to learn a couple words from the local language, goes a long way ! )
This might be linked to the fact that there is literally no tourists (I mean no "non-armenian tourists", in two weeks, outside of the capital city, we only met a group of swiss trekkers (twice ! ), so the local's curiosity towards you is genuine, they are not trying to sell anything to you.
-Clean and comfortable. Pretty much on par with european standards. Both in the streets and in the kitchen. It's not a country where you'll get sick.
-Cheap. Cost of living / accommodations / transportations are dirt cheap. Excellent bang for your bucks :p
-Food was seriously delicious. The quality of their fruits and vegetables is far better than anything you can get in the US/europe, AND they know how to season it and make it tasty (I am looking at you Romania ! How do you get your food so bland with the ingredients you have is beyond me >_< ). Lots of grilled meats, confit vegetables and roasted potatoes.
And as mentioned previously, the country is clean : No traveler's diarrhea here. Expect to get a couple extra pounds (or ten).

Note about language : pretty much everyone knows russian there, so if you speak it you'll have a great time. If you only speak english, you'll do fine in the major cities, but in the countryside it will be uncommon. Hiring a private guide/translator for your stay is not that expensive and might be a good option (for ex : Armenia Travel agency)

DSC06370.jpg

Zvarnots ruins, close to Yerevan (with Ararat peak in the background)

DSC06636_HDR.jpg
Hagpath monastery

DSC06707.jpg
the Odzun fault

DSC06784_HDR.jpg
Lake Sevan

DSC06831.jpg
invited by locals to toast with them in the graveyard

DSC06893_HDR.jpg

Dadivank monastery (in Artsakh / High Karabakh)

a few more pics in the Your Own Photography thread

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

kudos

<Banned>
Does every woman look like Kim Kardashian? That might make me switch a trip from Budapest to here if so.