Arrival (2016)

Fadaar

That guy
I liked the movie until the ending. Same problem I have with Interstellar -- I highly dislike the concept in movies of the future influencing the past to make current/future events possible, basically the whole causality loop. I can let it slide in the Terminator franchise because those movies weren't meant to be intelligent or scientific, just as a setup for action. Another problem is I'm not married nor do I have any kids, so the entire bit with her telling the story to her future child and knowing how things would end up? Zero impact with me at all, I didn't care. I'd say it isn't the fault of the movie but it loses a lot of its impact when certain "feels" are completely relegated to nothing.

Last edited:

Jive Turkey

Karen
I liked the movie until the ending. Same problem I have with Interstellar -- I highly dislike the concept in movies of the future influencing the past to make current/future events possible, basically the whole causality loop. I can let it slide in the Terminator franchise because those movies weren't meant to be intelligent or scientific, just as a setup for an action. Another problem is I'm not married nor do I have any kids, so the entire bit with her telling the story to her future child and knowing how things would end up? Zero impact with me at all, I didn't care. I'd say it isn't the fault of the movie but it loses a lot of its impact when certain "feels" are completely relegated to nothing.

What's the causality loop in this movie?

Jive Turkey

Karen
Oh, right. But since it's technically not time travel, I don't think it poses as much of an issue as Interstellar. But I see what you're saying. Forgot about that

tera

Lord Nagafen Raider
If the aliens had knowledge of future events in their lives how did they not know about the bomb?
I missed something important, didn't I...?

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If the aliens had knowledge of future events in their lives how did they not know about the bomb?

You got me thinking.

Maybe they did know about the bomb? But, they knew it was important enough to take the hit in order to get the information across to the lady-hero.

I don't know how to do spoilers, or if anyone would care since this movie has been out for months, but it's kind of like the lady-hero knew her kid would get cancer, but decided to have her anyway.

Jive Turkey

Karen

was there anything to indicate there was a bomb on board when the scuffle started going on outside the ship? I honestly don't remember, but it seems like there was no way to know to get the scientists off at the very last second without knowing exactly when the explosion would take place

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
decent movie, i liked it.

i turned my brain off about a quarter of the way through when i realized that this movie wasnt serious about science, and just enjoyed the story. i like their take on aliens and how the aliens communicated (inky circles from the finger tips) and the little plot twist at the end.

i dont think id watch it again though

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Are you telling me that Pacific Rim wasn't a SJW movie? The best actors in the film were a young asian girl and a black man while all of the whiteys died left and right. Hell, Elba even had to step up and sacrifice himself for the dad's white privilege.

Just a coincidence you say? Check out the sequel cast. Starts with John Boyega, then an Indian American, Lebanese American, Japanese, Chinese, hot Asian woman.

lol, the main character who survived was a fucking whitre hetero cis male.

black guy died like always.

pacific rim isnt SJW unless the kaiju are actually trannies fighting for tranny kaiju rights

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I don't know how to do spoilers, or if anyone would care since this movie has been out for months, but it's kind of like the lady-hero knew her kid would get cancer, but decided to have her anyway.

you caught that, eh?

tera

Lord Nagafen Raider
was there anything to indicate there was a bomb on board when the scuffle started going on outside the ship? I honestly don't remember, but it seems like there was no way to know to get the scientists off at the very last second without knowing exactly when the explosion would take place
I have no idea dude, it's too complicated for me... like division with remainders.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Like someone said, I took it as they knew the bomb was there but also knew it was necessary to let it go off in order to get their message across.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Her getting information from the future to convince the Chinese general to cooperate

Huh? They explained that they didn't experience time in a linear fashion so you can't really call it a plot hole when they violate causality

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Was OK but wouldn't recommend theater IMO.

2 jarring things: Adams would have been 55-60 when her daughter died and she didn't look a day older.. zzz. Also just the whole concept - wtf? Kids are not that magical that you are knowingly bringing a child into your life that is going to die by age 15. So its implied that she tells Renner that she can see all time right after the aliens leave. So they have their kid and then at age 5ish she tells Renner "oh btw kid dies in less than 10 years" and he nopes out of there?? How does this make sense?

It makes total sense if you have kids, otherwise you're just a retard with no idea what he's talking about.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
It makes total sense if you have kids, otherwise you're just a retard with no idea what he's talking about.

Basically having the child even if she only lives 15 years means you had that child and their love and your love for them for 15 years. It takes a lot of bravery to open yourself up to the pain you know will come to love somebody you know is going to pass away to young. Then again it may not have been much of a choice because she had already made the choice. If linear time does not exist and you can perceive it all can you actually make any choice. Anything you can chose you already would have chosen so did you actually chose to do it?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Basically having the child even if she only lives 15 years means you had that child and their love and your love for them for 15 years. It takes a lot of bravery to open yourself up to the pain you know will come to love somebody you know is going to pass away to young. Then again it may not have been much of a choice because she had already made the choice. If linear time does not exist and you can perceive it all can you actually make any choice. Anything you can chose you already would have chosen so did you actually chose to do it?

Though it's not the same as just knowing that if you have a kid it will die when it's 15. This is a child she has "memories" of and already knows. It's not some idea of a child she has no connection to. That makes it a terrible and extremely painful choice, but one any parent would have to make in that position. If you were to ask a parent who's child died at a young age, I guarantee they'd all say they wish they'd spent as much time with them as possible and none would say they wish they never had the kid in the first place.

That's why anyone who says "lol no way anyone would have a kid if they knew the'd just die young" knows nothing about having kids and just looks like an idiot to anyone that does.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Though it's not the same as just knowing that if you have a kid it will die when it's 15. This is a child she has "memories" of and already knows. It's not some idea of a child she has no connection to. That makes it a terrible and extremely painful choice, but one any parent would have to make in that position. If you were to ask a parent who's child died at a young age, I guarantee they'd all say they wish they'd spent as much time with them as possible and none would say they wish they never had the kid in the first place.

That's why anyone who says "lol no way anyone would have a kid if they knew the'd just die young" knows nothing about having kids and just looks like an idiot to anyone that does.

Can confirm, my mom said the same thing after seeing this and talking about my younger brother.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
The aliens weren't dumb looking (biggest worry) and I liked the side of feels near the end. Having a lead actress carry a movie didn't affect my enjoyment of it. Pretty much Independence Day: the Thinkening.

Jive Turkey

Karen

I think you completely missed ex-genji's point. The issue he has isn't with Adams' character, it's with Renner abandoning his wife and kid when he finds out his kid is going to die. That bit is a bit of a head scratcher from a motivational point of view. How is abandoning your daughter when you know she is going to get cancer any different than abandoning your daughter when you find out she has cancer?