Arrow

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I don't know anything about the Flash so I have no idea if Barry Allen is correctly being portrayed in the show. That said, I really like the character and the guy playing him and the exchanges between him and Felicity were fantastic. When he moves to his own show it's going to be sad that we won't get any more interaction between the two. Maybe they can give Felicity cameo roles on the Flash as a way to keep the two shows tied together.

Best thing about this episode was no Laurel, minimal Thea, and tons of Felicity.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
laurel at this point has no real purpose. they tried to give her stuff to do by giving her a drinking/drug problem and then had her get kidnapped, then she went against olllie's mom in the courtroom. last season there was the big love triangle, but now that tommy is dead and ollie has a ton of coochie he can bang (and adapted a new code, not to get "too close to people he cares for" which is an excuse to bang assorted beavers) laurel is just there to say, hi guys remember me?

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
LOL!

I really enjoyed the latest episode. I too laughed when he was re arranging the chemicals. Lots of Felicity, yummy. Flash casting was damn good IMO. Looking forward to then next episode.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Fucking Crixus looks like a pimp in a suit and eye patch. Stupid mid season break. I want the next episode now.

Karloff_sl

shitlord
That was one hell of an episode.

Too bad it's gonna be a month till the next one
frown.png

Spork

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So is The Flash going to be a mid-season thing, or do we have to wait for Fall 2014 for the premier?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
holy shit that was fucking AWESOME. that 41 minutes had more stuff happening in it than a feature film. we just saw 4 simultaneous super hero/villain origins in the space of ten minutes. did that deathstroke just punch his fist through that guy's chest?

best show on tv now.

Joe_sl

shitlord
Yup, that was the best episode yet. So much awesome things happening. Most excited about the Deathstroke reveal. Manu Bennet can easily pull of that bad ass eyepatch and grey hairs.

DC should start pouring a shit ton of their resources into this show. They can create a bunch of interesting spin offs easily.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Grundy!! Deathstroke! Arsenal! The FLASH!!!

That final scene was pure gold. No wonder the CW people said "order a full pilot...NOW!"

Note also that the woman reporting live from the particle accelerator was Linda Park aka the future Mrs. Wally West. Could the Flash TV series (if it gets made) actually bring back Wally before DC Comics gets their heads out of their asses and does it? Then you just get Roy and Wally together with Nightwing (already cast for Arrow) and spin off the Titans?

Okay maybe too much fanboi nerdgasm, but goddamn am I pumped watching Arrow.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Okay maybe too much fanboi nerdgasm, but goddamn am I pumped watching Arrow.
Yeah, this show is just so damned good right now. I can't believe that this show is being nailed so well and SHIELD is being fucked up so badly. Maybe Marvel should have went for a CW show.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I must be the only one who doesn't like Deathstroke's motivations. So he's going to kill innocent people and torture his former friend because his extramarital girlfriend was killed? The anti-hero route would have been a better way to go I think.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Nah its more than just Shado... afterall he mentions putting an arrow through his eye so clearly Ollie and Slade tangled at somepoint after we see Shado die. Slade Wilson has always been a very complex villain and I have faith that we will see more and more layers of his motivation.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Yeah, this show is just so damned good right now. I can't believe that this show is being nailed so well and SHIELD is being fucked up so badly. Maybe Marvel should have went for a CW show.
CW has been knocking it out of the park lately. Arrow being my favorite show currently on tv, and The Originals also being pretty badass. Never thought CW would be producing shows on the top of my list. They have always been a "filler" channel for shit I watch when nothing else is on.

I am so excited for The Flash now as well. Never been one of my favorite heroes, but Green Arrow wasn't either. Should be a ton of fun if they keep the quality this high.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
I have faith they will do Deathstroke right. So far he has been awesome. On the other hand could Laural be anymore useless? Seriously what the fuck, is she just the cock sheath for whoever isnt Ollie? Finally Roy injected with serum hopefully means Arsenal soon, curious if they go the Speedy route with him.

P.S. As a huge Green Lantern fan i demand an appearance for Hal Jordan/Guy Gardener/John Stewart and or Kyle Raynor.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
One of the interesting things to note is that, back when we first heard about the Flash possibly getting a series, we were all wondering if it would be a "real life" version of Flash, or if he would have "powers." Now, through subtly introducing stuff like super-strength via the serum and Solomon Grundy, it suddenly isn't even an issue and it would fit just fine with the version of Green Arrow we've been given if Flash runs around at super-speed.

It really points to the forethought and planning of the Arrow team that they went from the entire first season being completely realistic to a character like the Flash being no big deal in the span of 10 episodes. Having watched it, it seems natural and obvious, but when you put it down on paper and really look at it, they have done a fantastic job of maintaining all of the things that make the show great, yet widening the scope to include more and more of the DC Universe at the same time. If DC plans this right and takes over "superhero TV" they will owe ALL of it to Arrow.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Holy nerd boner, one of my favorite episodes of all time. Flash was done amazing, and every character is awesome. I can't be sceptical of the casting on this show anymore, I thought roy sucked at first but he's doing a great job along with slade, diggle, felicity brother blood ect. The fight scenes are getting even better and I'm enjoying the show as much as much as movies based on comics. And yes please hurry up with the flash show and give me a teen titans with arsenal, flash, kyle raynor, nightwing. Not sure what female characters you could use, raven, wonder girl? Muss martian is good but not sure that character could ever be done

Also confident they are going to turn roy into arsenal, skip red arrow and it will be great.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
You have not failed this city: Catching up on the CWs fun Arrow
A few weeks ago, I wrote a column about the disappointing early returns from "Marvel's Agents of SHIELD," which has thus far come across as a show designed by focus group to appeal to the broadest group possible, and which as a result appeals deeply to no one. In response, several readers suggested I give another shot to the CW's "Arrow," primetime's other current superhero series, which I had all but forgotten about after a few competent but unremarkable episodes last fall, but which they insisted was succeeding at so much of what "SHIELD" was struggling with.

Having watched a handful of season 1 episodes(*) and all of season 2 to date, I can say that they were right. "Arrow" isn't perfect, but it has a much better understanding than "SHIELD" of what it wants to be and what its strengths and weaknesses are. The folks at ABC/Disney/Marvel might want to take note.

(*) For the "Arrow" obsessives among you, I watched (in addition to the first two episodes, which I saw when they aired), "Year's End," "Dead to Rights," "Salvation," "The Undertaking," "Darkness on the Edge of Town" and "Sacrifice." Why those? I wasn't going to have time to watch them all, so I asked executive producer Marc Guggenheim to suggest a handful that he felt represented their best work and/or would be most useful to understanding what's happening in season 2.

Initially, "Arrow" struck me as an attempt to do another Batman TV show without actually having permission to use Batman, with Stephen Amell as playboy-turned-vigilante Oliver Queen as an impressively-torsoed Bruce Wayne stand-in. But even in the comics, Green Arrow was often used as a Batman copycat before evolving into a more unique left-wing crusader. Similarly, "Arrow" has made class warfare one of its major themes, with a scion of the elite turning against his fellow 1%ers to fight for the less fortunate. (The first season built to Queen's wealthy arch-nemesis leveling most of their city's poorest neighborhoods.) It's an approach that gives the series a specific point of view, even as Oliver is hanging out in his Arrow-Cave and speaking in a lower register to threaten bad guys.

Amell's abs got all the early attention, and he certainly looks the part and moves well in the superhero moments. (Though for some reason, as Oliver Queen he almost never seems to move his arms.) Amell's greatest strength, as it turns out, is his ability to play with others: specifically, Oliver's two sidekicks, military veteran John Diggle (David Ramsey) and hacker Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards). There's an easy sense of camaraderie between the three of them, and they can be as serious or light-hearted as a story requires. Where "SHIELD" struggles to develop its characters into anything beyond their basic types, "Arrow" has delineated its lead trio into specific, likable, compelling people, so that Felicity and her not-so-secret crush on Oliver doesn't just play out as every other "Why, without your glasses, you're beautiful!" geek girl.

"Arrow" is an unapologetic melodrama, with characters often speaking in grand, self-defining pronouncements rather than dialogue. It works because the superhero genre lends itself to this treatment (though it's far from the only approach that works with the capes-and-tights set), and because there's a consistency of tone to it. Despite the modest budget of your average show, "Arrow" does its best to play big with its scope and with its emotions, and if the moves don't always work - the writers seem to constantly be struggling with what to do with Oliver's ex-girlfriend, attorney Laurel Lance (Katie Cassidy), for instance - the effort is usually there.

And where "SHIELD" comes across at times as afraid of its own comic book roots, "Arrow" - which, to be fair, is on the CW and therefore a niche show by design - has turned itself into a Petri dish for the idea of a TV universe for DC Comics characters. Tomorrow night's episode (it airs, as usual, at 8 p.m. Eastern) is even attempting to set up a spin-off around super-speedster the Flash, here introduced in his civilian guise as police scientist Barry Allen (Grant Gustin), but well before that, "Arrow" has played with a wide range of DC characters who have little to no Green Arrow comic ties. Now, it may just be that DC is more relaxed with letting their creators play with all the toys in the box than Marvel - and also that the likes of Brother Blood, Professor Ivo and Bronze Tiger aren't likely to be in demand for the next three dozen Superman films - but I suspect that even for non-geeks who, prior to the series, couldn't tell Deadshot apart from Deathstroke if their life depended on it, the use of these villains and supporting characters creates a sense of a more filled-in, colorful world.

There are times, however, where the world of "Arrow" feels a bit too full. The series employs a structure that's the opposite of "Lost," with lots of action on the mainland accompanied by flashbacks to the five years Oliver spent trapped on a remote island in the Pacific, picking up the skills (and scars) needed to become a hero. These scenes have Amell wearing an unfortunate wig and at times feel like unnecessary distractions from the main action. The new episodes, at least, have been using the island better, as those scenes tie in more naturally with what's happening in the present and seem to be building to something bigger. Tomorrow's episode, in fact, was the rare occasion where I wish we had spent even more time on the island. (And I say that even though I was intrigued by the introduction of a more boyish Barry Allen.)

There are also a lot of supporting and recurring characters of varying degrees of usefulness and interest, and at times the show spends too much time shifting between them all, rather than just focusing on giving Oliver, Diggle and Felicity an interesting adventure. Summer Glau, a nerd icon in her own right from her time on "Firefly" and "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" (and, to a much lesser extent, "The Cape"), has been hanging around all season, mostly wearing business suits and frowning, which seems a silly waste of having Summer Glau in a comic book show. (I'm assuming she'll get to kick butt down the road, but better to just save her til we get there.)

Overall, though, "Arrow" is a lot of fun, and even if there are just as many cooks stirring this broth as there appear to be on "SHIELD" (which also, in fairness, hasn't been through a season-plus worth of learning curve yet), it doesn't feel timid and designed-by-committee in the same way. It's just trying to be the best, boldest version of "Arrow" that it can be.
Read more atYou have not failed this city: Catching up on the CWs fun Arrow