Artifact - The DOTA Card Game

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
A few is an understatement at this point, Gearbox just announced their own CCG today too. Glad to see Valve walking hand in hand with Blizzard down the road of mediocrity and cash grabbing instead of innovating. I'm assuming this is why a bunch of Valve's talent left in the last couple years, its such a shame a company that can literally do whatever it wants just turns to the latest fad now that the MOBA craze is over.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
giphy.gif

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
What a fucking disappointment.

I guess this is the world we live in now, where every developer with an IP worth half a shit is going to slap another flaccid card game on to the market because they can't see past the mountains of cash that Hearthstone is raking in.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
What if after the Magic the Gathering MMO comes out, they make a Digital Card Game based on it?!

• 6Worf
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 6 users

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
The only reason it may be good is because Steam actually gives you a way to trade cards, the rest are all CCGs. Add a mobile version on top and they have something that makes them stand out from the crowd. Still, for a developer with such a history, this is really underwhelming.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Man that's the fifth foil Power Treads I've opened, what a shit uncommon

• 1Worf

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Dota has eleventy billion users, I dont get caught up in those cash dumps anymore but it will probably be successful

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Wasn't Riot working on a card game at some point? Did they drop the idea? Especially with Tencent behind them it could print some fucking money, more so than LoL already does, so it's a bit surprising they didn't.

As for this, I'll just assume it's shit from the start. While dota2 is great in terms of monetization if you don't give a fuck about hats, if you do care, it's pretty fucking bad for the most part(compendium are good value usually, kinda, the rest not so much especially with the whole untradeable until 2048 shit everywhere). So applying this to a card game, which inherently is going to be involve spending a bunch of money, sounds pretty terrible. I'd also argue that the dota IP isn't strong enough to support a card game, a lot of dota players have no fucking clue about the dota2 lore, especially since it had to be created out of nothing to explain a lot of weird stuff being ported over from the WC3 engine and shit.

But we'll see, I might still try out because why not.

• 1Like

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thats the thing, most people do give a fuck about hats and will drop money into something like that just like they do dota2.

I group with people all the time whose Ti7 compendium level is higher than 1k which is hundreds of dollars on its own and thats solely for this event. I dont even spend what I consider a lot on dota 2 and since they added the thing to check how much you spent on cosmetics I was surprised I had spent almost 400$, and thats just cosmetics not including all the battle passes etc I have shelled money into (along with secret shop items etc from TI). Gamers are grown up now with credit cards and jobs, and something like this which will appeal to those casual working folks makes it even easier to shell out money on card games when its pay to win. HS is proof of how much money people will drop into this dumb shit.

But the game has to be good, and thats the thing, I think Valve will actually spend a fuckton to make the game playable and it already has way more mass market appeal than say the Elder Scrolls card game. Dota players wont care about lore etc, you get to play heroes and 5 man teams apparently in 3 lanes just like you do in the moba......which is their demographic they will target. Will need a lot more info on specifics before deciding if its trash or not.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Na I wasn't saying it won't be successful and people won't spend money on it, I was saying I have little interest in it because I don't spend a lot of money on games, it just feels wrong to me. I don't mind spending some money, I've spent a few hundreds over the years on poe, hell I've been subbed to mmos for years and shit, it's just I would never consider dropping 1k on a game or whatever. In this case, based on how Valve is handling dota2 stuff, I think it's probably going to be a pretty meh F2P model, which means it won't be for me.

HS early on was pretty good due to the low amount of cards but nowadays it's the same, have to spend money or be playing constantly to buy into every new expansion and shit. Also guarantees there's basically no way I'm ever going back to HS since catching up without spending money is basically impossible unless I just play some shitty aggro deck only or do arena for weeks/months before I can set up a proper constructed deck. Luckily for Valve, there's a lot of people who spend a lot more money than I do on games.

• 1Like

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea Im in the same boat as you. Id rather spend thousands of dollars on traveling or something at this point in life.

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
This announcement and game made my dick so soft it actually is going inside of my body fucking piece of shit card games fuck

Should check out the announcement video cause the crowd reaction is 10/10

• 1Worf

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's priceless.

Almost feel bad for any developer who worked on it to hear a reaction that negative.

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
I mean, it's Valve and I have faith that there will be some innovation in the genre and hopefully it's not just.. literally the hearthstone of DOTA. But it's so hard to get excited for ANOTHER card game

• 1Like

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Random info from Day9 on stream:

• There are three game boards that represent the lanes
  • You control 5 heroes, just like DotA
  • You can equip item cards on to the Heroes that you buy with gold
  • There are creeps that spawn every turn
  • You can play creature cards
  • Some cards are cast on the lane and have persistent effects on that lane
  • Each Hero has abilities like their DotA counterparts ("You can cast track on a Hero as Bounty Hunter and get extra Gold")
It literally wants to combine the two biggest cancerous genres of games right now.

Best comment I've seen:

Bioware: Mass Effect Andromeda is going to be the biggest disappointment of the decade
Valve: Hold my beer

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I understand why they wanted to announce it during TI, but a playable version right after it's over would be so much better. Vague "coming 2018" says fuckall.

• 1Like

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I do not think there is a single person who said, 'I wish Valve would go ahead and make a card game'.