Artifact - The DOTA Card Game

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Garfield is actually pretty bad at making good games. The Magic you see today is totally different from his version for a reason. I hope someone reigns him in. The shit he designed for Magic was awful. The base system was fine but the cards were literally retarded.
I never played MTG but i have played Netrunner and it is almost universally accepted as a very good asymmetric game, aside from the flaws of its LCG system.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Imagine if you could put as many copies of Hedge fund in your deck as you wanted. The 90's game failed because it was a pretty bad game. The rules were written pretty poorly. My understanding is that Lukas did the rules for the new one and used Garfields stuff as a frame of reference. Games have come a long way. I just hope he is an adviser to the game. He has some brilliant ideas but seeing them to fruition is hard for him.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I mean, you're implying the guy is going to do the same design mistakes 30 years later. I'm sure there are people to offset those ideas lol

either way, i like that new artifact heroes will get implemented into dota, and vice versa~

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Last two Magic sets Garfield was on design for were pretty great (Ravnica 1, Innistrad 1), and the 100+ cards that got leaked for the next set he's designer for (Dominaria) are pretty interesting too. As long as he's not in full "what if" mode he does good work. Which is true of most "idea" people regardless of context; they need realists around to put the breaks on.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Imagine if you could put as many copies of Hedge fund in your deck as you wanted. The 90's game failed because it was a pretty bad game. The rules were written pretty poorly. My understanding is that Lukas did the rules for the new one and used Garfields stuff as a frame of reference. Games have come a long way. I just hope he is an adviser to the game. He has some brilliant ideas but seeing them to fruition is hard for him.
The biggest changes were card limits and Corp and runner factions, minor changes IMO. There can be plenty of reason why the game failed in the 90’s other than being a bad game.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They overprinted Netrunner 1.0 into the ground, in an attempt to "fix" the problem with Magic at the time (product shortages). Game was worthless within a week of coming out, just pallets of it rotting everywhere, which made it difficult to convince people to jump in, as back then people were looking at these games more like collectibles than they do nowadays.

Bodyweight Synthetic Blood was a helluva drug.

There were a few mechanics in the wild west of 90s CCGs that told you straight up silliness was about to ensue when you were reading the rules: Unlimited copies of each card, and "Choose your opening hand." The "Come at Me, Bro" of CCG design.

Needless

Toe Sucker
release date has been announced:

Artifact - Releasing November 28, 2018 on PC / Mac / Linux priced at $20 USD will be up for its first hands on showing at PAX West between Aug 31 - Sep 3, 2018

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Fuck yes. I look for new Artifact info everyday. Need a new card game since Hearthstone is pretty bland.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
That rabbit looking fuck in the middle looks high as a kite.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
So we have some initial pricing details here. $2 a pack for 12 cards. I'm really interested to know the rarity levels and how it compares to Hearthstone and other TCGs both digital and physical since they've made vague comparisons to both markets for their game.

artifact starting hand.jpg

xzi

Mouthbreather
the current state of the half life community is arguing over whether or not a pixelated 16x16 icon is a 3 or a 2 and now more artifact news they're even sadder

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well it is something new?

On the pricing, I believe the big difference between this and most other card games is you can trade/sell your cards, so you can actually switch your shit around when you're bored or want to try something new, provided rarity is kept decently under control and they don't remove cards from "print" or whatever fuckery. Although every time you switch shit you lose a bit of money to the big Valve money printing press via steam fees.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I love DOTA, but the chances that I subject myself to another CCG are slim to none.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Another CCG is something I had absolutely zero desire for and I cant wait to not buy this game. When they are done fucking around, HL Episode 3, HL3 or LFD3 would move the needle.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I haven't really played a TCG since I played Magic as a kid almost 20 years ago. I am a huge believer in both DotA and Valve, so I am all aboard the hype train on this one.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Needless

Toe Sucker
Oh i have zero desire to play this as well lol, but i'm curious to see how they make a card game thats essnetially a 3 lane moba?