Ashes of Creation

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
I'm calling bullshit on the "he hates P2W" thing. We're talking about Sorcerer from ArcheAge, right? This dude bought Thunderstruck Trees from my guild for $40 a pop... in ALPHA. You know, the stuff that was going to be wiped. The dude has zero problem with RMT. If it can't be done through the game's shop, he'll do it through PlayerAuctions.

Wait that guy is making this game? And someone said he hates p2w? Just wow. That guy threw so much money into that game to try and get his guild to the top.

That just makes me fear for this game even more, on top of the "experience".

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I'm calling bullshit on the "he hates P2W" thing. We're talking about Sorcerer from ArcheAge, right?
Lol one of the comments on the KS page: "Odd that the Mage class isn't called "Sorcerer" instead :p"

xzi

Mouthbreather
Impressive in the sense that a kickstarter actually has content behind it lmao

Although, Unreal Engine is extremely easy to world build in.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Wait that guy is making this game? And someone said he hates p2w? Just wow. That guy threw so much money into that game to try and get his guild to the top. That just makes me fear for this game even more, on top of the "experience".

Well he used p2w methods, but he can still hate them. And if he is really that rich to fund the game himself with 30 million $, those 40$ for thunderstruck are more like 1$ for "normal" people to him... But anything could happen, IF they release the game and if they are not as successful as they hope p2w stuff is clearly an option.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
It'd be a nice change of pace to see a project that was an outright scam for once instead of just an abject failure.

• 5Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 5 users

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Don't see it in the last few pages, I'll leave the reddit thread detective shit in here. Summary is the guy has some shady history of running a pyramid scheme before, dev team isn't anywhere large enough for the project, nor the funding requirements for the Kickstarter to make a game this big, and the whole thing looks like another pyramid scheme:
Ashes of Creation, a sandbox MMO which focuses on player built cities and economies, has launched a kickstarter today • r/Games

That was one of the dumbest, tin-foil hat manifestos I've read in a long time.

So, they took out a 39 month lease of 5,875 square feet office space in San Diego back in 2015, hired a team of 12 people, bought/leased all of that office furniture and hardware, created actual in-game content / gameplay to... "scam" people out of a couple of million kickstarter dollars? That's the scam?

It'd be awesome if it was a straight up scam. That would be a nice change of pace from the has-been, out of work devs peddling that seemingly perfect MMO idea to the Kickstarter masses for a fraction of the money they need to actually develop it. Stupid isn't as fun to watch.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 4 users

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
If they can deliver on 50% of these promises i'll be impressed. It also sounds impossible to balance, players will find the path of least resistance like always.

Endymion

Trakanon Raider
With the increased visibility from the kickstarter comes some more lucid views.

- The people have worked in the industry, but when you're told that they have FORTY years of experience combined, you know they got little experience. The Lead Game Designer was working as... International Customer Relation Liaison at SOE. The technical director was designing... payment solutions.
I'm not here to change any minds, but to this point:
- Jason Crawford (the technical director) is an example of a poorly detailed LinkedIn profile. He was a programmer on EverQuest II when I started there and in general worked on far more than his profile lets on and is an incredibly smart guy.
- Jeffrey Bard (the lead designer) was a game designer on EverQuest II during my entire time there; MobyGames just doesn't have any credits data for the EQ2 expansions past 2010. I couldn't tell you how long he was in a design position, though.

Again, not looking to change any minds (especially when it gets into weird stuff like "years of experience", which I also find to be a bizarre metric) but wanted to add some clarification.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
Well he used p2w methods, but he can still hate them. And if he is really that rich to fund the game himself with 30 million $, those 40$ for thunderstruck are more like 1$ for "normal" people to him... But anything could happen, IF they release the game and if they are not as successful as they hope p2w stuff is clearly an option.

Did you apply to be this guy's PR spokesman? Cause that sure sounds like it.

I'm not here to change any minds, but to this point:
- Jason Crawford (the technical director) is an example of a poorly detailed LinkedIn profile. He was a programmer on EverQuest II when I started there and in general worked on far more than his profile lets on and is an incredibly smart guy.
- Jeffrey Bard (the lead designer) was a game designer on EverQuest II during my entire time there; MobyGames just doesn't have any credits data for the EQ2 expansions past 2010. I couldn't tell you how long he was in a design position, though.

Again, not looking to change any minds (especially when it gets into weird stuff like "years of experience", which I also find to be a bizarre metric) but wanted to add some clarification.

That's at least good to hear. That it's actual experience(albeit on EQII).

kudos

<Banned>
The gameplay stream was hilarious. They literally did not show anything. What a waste of time.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The gameplay stream was hilarious. They literally did not show anything. What a waste of time.
It's not gameplay, it's just "let's show you all those awesome assets we've made".

I don't know if we're supposed to think that the deer was a bug and was still spawned in the home or something. I had clearly two plate-thing under its feet which make it look fake.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I've said it a page ago and will say it again, it is extremely easy to world build in UE4. Which could mean a lot of things, they are probably focusing all of their time in actually making game systems while some dude or two makes assets. Or they're just making pretty looking places to show off as an easy proof of concept and to steal your money.

I do think they're actually making the game though but we've all been burned by kickstarter one too many times which is unfortunate.

Anyways, related to building in UE4 and to give an idea how fast beautiful zones can be whipped up (granted they would have to do a lot more optimization than this guy)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
Another Interview with The Lazy Peon, actually used to enjoy this dudes channel haven't checked it in a while until today and he just happened to upload this

Big thing he's said is they're not planning for a group finder, which I like but also that's automatically gonna kill the game for a good chunk of people probably

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I stopped watching Lazy Peon when he started extreme levels of shilling. Too many paid for videos.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Pretty much same but he's one of the rare quality MMO channels out there imo

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
I usually watch those just for some info, as getting any kind of decent review(either biased or non-biased) from youtube people is never going to happen. Also deciding on a game based on someone else's opinion is just asinine to me. Especially as these guys hop from game to game no matter what(part of it being, following the masses to stay relevant) and they get invites/other stuff from developers so they tend to always be non-critical.

• 1Like

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Making games is hard. I'm done throwing money and game companies before they make a product. Kickstarter and crowd-funding in general for games needs to go away, as does micro-transactions. Make a good game, and I'll buy it. Don't promise me the world with your hand out asking for cash.

• 1Like