Ashes of Creation

Reht

Molten Core Raider
But you only get a flying mount if you're a mayor or whatever of a metropolis. It's perfect for creating hatred amongst the casuals! Class warfare baby!

I'm going to be annoyed when they handle their Node system the boring lazy way and just have 1 version of each tier of a specific node, instead of having versions for when you're building up vs when one of these PVP battles has torn down the node. It'll be lame to see a Metropolis just "poof" back into a village with no evidence of anything greater ever having been there, and suddenly the level 3 node Kobold Infestation event is back.
Yeah, i asked about that multiple times and never got a response.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Sounds interesting. I'll go in for $40. Whatever. I like the idea of what they want to do.

xzi

Mouthbreather
But you only get a flying mount if you're a mayor or whatever of a metropolis. It's perfect for creating hatred amongst the casuals! Class warfare baby!

I'm going to be annoyed when they handle their Node system the boring lazy way and just have 1 version of each tier of a specific node, instead of having versions for when you're building up vs when one of these PVP battles has torn down the node. It'll be lame to see a Metropolis just "poof" back into a village with no evidence of anything greater ever having been there, and suddenly the level 3 node Kobold Infestation event is back.

That's my one great worry to be honest. Everytime something like this is implemented like when GW2 first launched, when the event of the zone was over it just went back to the default zone with no trace of a giganto-fuck dragon wreaking havoc across the land. Was just a bunch of shitty yoked wolf rats in tent 10 minutes later

Duskoy

Blackwing Lair Raider
I usually don't back but for this one I will. They say the cash shop won't be P2W which I hope is true

xzi

Mouthbreather
Well it is a western MMO so I have hope it won't be P2W unlike every single asian MMO that has ever existed

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Urgh the pack I was thinking about is already up by $20 because the first two sold out.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Really found their pledge tiers to be really underwhelming, or rather too overpriced.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Dunno looks about right to me. The one I am thinking about is 4 months game time(so 60 bucks) and then multiple mounts, pets,costumes(since you get everything from previous tiers).

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Really found their pledge tiers to be really underwhelming, or rather too overpriced.
I agree on the upper tiers, but the lower tiers are pretty fair in my opinion considering there is no cost to buy the game, just the sub.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
never got a response.
With the increased visibility from the kickstarter comes some more lucid views.

Ashes of Creation : nouvelle arnaque via Kickstarter ? | Geekzone.fr

(in french. Quick summary follows)

- First, for a funded game before kickstarter, the team is light. Pantheon-sized. Yea, they promise to go from 12 to 24 this fall! That's why they need your kickstarter, guys!
- The people have worked in the industry, but when you're told that they have FORTY years of experience combined, you know they got little experience. The Lead Game Designer was working as... International Customer Relation Liaison at SOE. The technical director was designing... payment solutions.
- Steven Sharif is an experienced Multi-Level Marketing guy, that's how he made his money. Wondered why there was MLM in the game? That's why.
- The demo videos are considered relatively easy to make with the power of Unreal 4. Wondered why the presentation of the node system working was all done using sprites on a background drawn map? They didn't had time to fake that amount of system stuff.
- Speaking of video: the first twitch stream:

No UI (save for a static HP/MANA bar that never moved)? No interaction, no combat? "Thanks for testing" for a 8mn walk around with the devs talking about how awesome all of it was and lots of things happened (but not here, unfortunately, the node next door)...
- And of course, the forum. Looks like the cheapest software they could find.

Summary: Caveat emptor.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
No UI (save for a static HP/MANA bar that never moved)? No interaction, no combat? "Thanks for testing" for a 8mn walk around with the devs talking about how awesome all of it was and lots of things happened (but not here, unfortunately, the node next door)...

Obviously have A LOT of development to do. Everything they discussed was just theory, but they tried to play it off as if it's going on in their little test realm as they were speaking.

I bet a lot of these features get really watered down once they face actual implementation.

Last edited:

kudos

<Banned>
This game has all the hallmark signs of an MMO that gets hyped and dies quickly due to broken shit or design ideas that looked good on paper and failed after release.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

kudos

<Banned>

Every game listed as "experience in the industry" was universally regarded as shit or mediocre. Everquest 2 was listed a few times, Planetside 2, and Everquest Next (LOL!). Let's not also forget the guy who helped on Duke Nukem games for the Playstation One. I mean come on. That's like me going to Google and saying I can code in BASIC. It's irrelevant.

• 1Solidarity

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
He funds the game more or less himself (the 30mil)? Kickstarter money is on top of that? He is a "true" MMO gamer/enthusiast and is quite good with money (selfmade multi-millionaire)? He hates p2w? Sounds like a dream come true for MMO gamers. Lets see if he really knows what he is doing and if he can deliver on the promises... i hope he will.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Everything they discussed was just theory, but they tried to play it off as if it's going on in their little test realm as they were speaking.
Yep. It's called lying.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did an EQN on us and the NPCs we saw moving around were in fact other people animating them.

• 1Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
With the increased visibility from the kickstarter comes some more lucid views.

Ashes of Creation : nouvelle arnaque via Kickstarter ? | Geekzone.fr

(in french. Quick summary follows)

- First, for a funded game before kickstarter, the team is light. Pantheon-sized. Yea, they promise to go from 12 to 24 this fall! That's why they need your kickstarter, guys!
- The people have worked in the industry, but when you're told that they have FORTY years of experience combined, you know they got little experience. The Lead Game Designer was working as... International Customer Relation Liaison at SOE. The technical director was designing... payment solutions.
- Steven Sharif is an experienced Multi-Level Marketing guy, that's how he made his money. Wondered why there was MLM in the game? That's why.
- The demo videos are considered relatively easy to make with the power of Unreal 4. Wondered why the presentation of the node system working was all done using sprites on a background drawn map? They didn't had time to fake that amount of system stuff.
- Speaking of video: the first twitch stream:

- And of course, the forum. Looks like the cheapest software they could find.

Summary: Caveat emptor.

That's kind of scary if true, the work experience part.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
That's kind of scary if true, the work experience part.
From Kickstater page's own description:

We’re a team of MMORPG veterans, brought together under one flag, with one goal in mind: To finally advance the genre. There’s over 40 years of MMO experience here in this office, and we have the experience and the know-how to get this project done.
(those 40+ years are spread over 12 people)