Ashes of Creation

Balmung

Peasant
View attachment 297634

Pretty sure that's the definition of Jaded.

I put a bajillion hours into WoW the last two weeks, so I'm not too jaded I suppose. I just want a good MMORPG. This one looks good, but it has some issues that bother me a bit. It's flashy, pretty, and the man in charge says really good things. I'm excited for this, but I'm not excited for nodes. If you see something I don't see please enlighten me. I guess you could say my standards are a little too high though.

Xerge

<Donor>
I can't wait to be playing this and New World in the future -- the MMO scene is looking pretty good. I do enjoy some good story telling in my MMO and i'm not sold on that aspect with AoC or NW honestly.. so there's that. I suppose that is one of the bigger jumps when creating an MMO though and really only FFXIV manage to get right so far.

My biggest fear so far is stewing all these gameplay mechanics and features together and making it work

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
the man in charge says really good things
I don't know. I see several red flags, especially with the "we have hybrid combat where you can switch." What is the point of switching to action combat when aiming your spells and arrows is a PITA while tab-targeting players push a button and go at it? They're not making headshots crit automatically.

Also, no addon support, but promises to make the UI really customizable. Every time someone promised that the end result was not so great.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Balmung

Peasant
I don't know. I see several red flags, especially with the "we have hybrid combat where you can switch." What is the point of switching to action combat when aiming your spells and arrows is a PITA while tab-targeting players push a button and go at it? They're not making headshots crit automatically.

Also, no addon support, but promises to make the UI really customizable. Every time someone promised that the end result was not so great.

Also true. I'd love to have more information about the combat and what players think of it after the rework. They said they ditched total action combat because of their experiences with their Battle Royale game and came up with this hybrid system. I'm curious to know what others think about it and how it feels to them. The switching is weird, and I'm not sure how exactly that's going to work.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
They said they ditched total action combat because of their experiences with their Battle Royale game and came up with this hybrid system.
That is one of the things I don't understand: The designers never figured out that pure action combat isn't fun for this type (as in RPG with PvE plus large scale PvP) of game? Do they playtest their own game? If they are still screwing around with basics of the combat system, then either the game isn't that far along, or they have painted themselves into a corner.

The thing with action combat is that it looks totally nice and awesome (good for Twitch!), like Dark Souls or Ghost of Tsushima--but those are fundamentally single player games. The current leader in MMO action combat is Black Desert Online, and that game is pretty much focused on the solo grinding and guild PvP, and pretty lacking in PvE content. Check out this video and tell me if you'd want to have a whole group of 5 to 6 people in a dungeon jump around like this the whole time:

• 2Like

Duskoy

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hate the action combat with 40139014910 billion particle effects blasting you in the face until you have a seizure and die in your gamer chair due to Shitty MMORPG Syndrome

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Truth!

Balmung

Peasant
I don't know if I can handle action combat for long periods of time. I tend to play the more relaxed characters with less button mashing requirements.

• 2Solidarity

Cybsled

I thing I hate most about action RPGs is they are almost controller required or require far too many hotkeys to be viable on your keyboard. Like you're using WASD and your mouse to move, but then also have to be pressing like 2 dozen skill buttons.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
IMO I believe the biggest skill gap closer is an MMO mouse. Having another 12 buttons at my disposal w/o having to press shift+Control+BloodOfVirgin+5 is a bit excessive.

• 3Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
IMO I believe the biggest skill gap closer is an MMO mouse
For a very long time I tried to use one, but I can't stand the fact that my mouse is moving slightly when I press thumb buttons. Still use my G700. Wish I could find a good mouse with top buttons again.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
IMO I believe the biggest skill gap closer is an MMO mouse. Having another 12 buttons at my disposal w/o having to press shift+Control+BloodOfVirgin+5 is a bit excessive.

I use an orbweaver and mmo mouse - i never touch my keyboard while gaming.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xerge

<Donor>
3 side mouse buttons and swapping caps lock with control is basically mandatory these days -- it's also game changing for a lot of games. The third mouse button allows you to move a keyboard bind to the mouse, like say sprint. I use keyboard software to switch caps/crtl and that was game changing too.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Sprint is on orbweaver along with most pre-pot stuff etc - mouse has all abilities and temps/emergency use things

Using things like an G600 or G13(RIP) and Orbweaver are fundamentally game changing devices that anyone in shooters/mmos should learn to use. I wont lie i didnt get into it at first and thought it was super weird/awkward. However i cant imagine gaming without using them now. G600 > Razer/Corsair offerings for an mmo mouse and the Orbweaver is not as good as a G13(but hey fuck you logitech), but since Logitech went the way of the gay and decided to make 10000 keyboards a year instead of 1 G13 refresh i have no choice but to use it.

I mean its still a A- device, but the G13 was pretty much god tier for left hand pad. Just needed mechanical keys so they didnt start to suck over time.

Cybsled

I’m a stickler for intellimouse style gaming mice. Last time I used a mega sized mouse was a trackball in the 80s.

My current one has 2 side buttons, but it’s too easy to fat thumb them, so I primarily just bind the forward button.

Lostmethere

Bronze Knight of the Realm
TERA had action combat and I recall dungeons being a total pain in the ass
I love the combat in Tera, its one of the best but its very intense and I don't want to do 2 or 3 hours of raid with non stop intense action combat like Tera.

I also have nothing against tab target and I think its more suited to MMO where long period of non stop play is required.

maybe I am old these days!

Lostmethere

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Sprint is on orbweaver along with most pre-pot stuff etc - mouse has all abilities and temps/emergency use things

Using things like an G600 or G13(RIP) and Orbweaver are fundamentally game changing devices that anyone in shooters/mmos should learn to use. I wont lie i didnt get into it at first and thought it was super weird/awkward. However i cant imagine gaming without using them now. G600 > Razer/Corsair offerings for an mmo mouse and the Orbweaver is not as good as a G13(but hey fuck you logitech), but since Logitech went the way of the gay and decided to make 10000 keyboards a year instead of 1 G13 refresh i have no choice but to use it.

I mean its still a A- device, but the G13 was pretty much god tier for left hand pad. Just needed mechanical keys so they didnt start to suck over time.
orbweaver is great device and I can't imagine playing MMO without them. It complement a gaming mouse like Naga very well. One of my issues with the naga or other mouses is their the buttons are very small and my thumb is very big so I prefer orbweaver .