Ashes of Creation

Cybsled

PRX was one of major eastern guilds on Kyrios (Sorc's guild, TWO, was west). They were one of the counter powers to Sorc's guild.

Pirates in Archeage were players who were unaligned with east or west, were KOS in the major cities, and got their own pirate island. Sorc always got pissed about them because pirates had no castles to siege and the pirates basically played spoilers towards any power struggle between east and west. They also usually camped the island where you could get gilda stars in large quantities to afford expensive plans. He used to complain about them on the forums/reddit from what I recollect.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
PRX was one of major eastern guilds on Kyrios (Sorc's guild, TWO, was west). They were one of the counter powers to Sorc's guild.

Pirates in Archeage were players who were unaligned with east or west, were KOS in the major cities, and got their own pirate island. Sorc always got pissed about them because pirates had no castles to siege and the pirates basically played spoilers towards any power struggle between east and west. They also usually camped the island where you could get gilda stars in large quantities to afford expensive plans. He used to complain about them on the forums/reddit from what I recollect.

It seems the Castles are his answer to Pirate Island. PK's could seize them but they are node points susceptible to sieges from the actual nodes.

Judging by this: Castle nodes they seem to have quite different features. The primary advantage being that they do not need any other node/vassal shit as the regular nodes do. From what you're saying this sounds like a fairly reasonable way to avoid it.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
He used to complain about them on the forums/reddit from what I recollect.

My personal history tells me they risk being put in the same situation they were at SOE/Daybreak by being under a guild-leader-turned-CEO who acted like a child who had their toys taken away on ArcheAge's forums and Reddit. PRX was one of the coolest guilds I have been in. They were one of the best guilds I've been in - ever - because they structured their comms like it was the military and actively kicked those that couldn't behave, and on top of that they had a policy that ensured that toxic behavior that extends beyond gameplay was not welcomed. They would rather say 'gg' unironically than to shit talk people when they lost. They wouldn't respond to antagonizing and left that to the leadership to disclose how the guild was feeling. And yet, Sorcerer found a way to hate PRX, of all guilds, because he kept losing and they were better. That instilled zero confidence in me then and does not bode well for me now.

I have very high hopes for the core tech / devops / coders for Ashes of Creation. There's no question I have about that; this game has some incredibly talented people working on it (Akil Hooper, Kevin McPherson, etc) and they deserve the best. I'm sure they're getting paid well, too.

But... I really hope the game doesn't get pushed into the toilet because Sorcerer wants the game to be ArcheAge on launch but tuned to make his guild succeed. His answer to losing was to complain and buy more cash shop items. Being so upset at losing in a game that you go and make your own MMORPG with the wealth you've accumulated yourself so the rules are in your favor... it just rubs me the wrong way since its inception.

And then the whole Battle Royale and how that was communicated as 'tweaking the engine' just reeks of Dave Georgeson-level bullshittery and snake oil peddling. As a programmer, I can understand testing backend mechanics to make sure the systems are able to handle the load, or change the way functions and systems are made in code. That's not how it was explained multiple times over in different interviews. This whole notion that "the Battle Royale helped us see what combat systems would be fun in an MMORPG version of the same game, so we can redo them later" are just outright fabrications, and I am surprised anyone is even buying that. They're two completely different genres and none of the design would carry over into an MMORPG anyways... at least not beyond art, animations, code, and backend tech. And absolutely none of that was claimed as the reason for their failed battle royale.

Let's not forget that the guy has a history of being a piece of shit either, from L2 until now.
How the fuck do you even get banned for this shit?

R9oQkXE.png

Also, of note: Dude has no issues with using cheats in other games.
3W86GuV.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My personal history tells me they risk being put in the same situation they were at SOE/Daybreak by being under a guild-leader-turned-CEO who acted like a child who had their toys taken away on ArcheAge's forums and Reddit. PRX was one of the coolest guilds I have been in. They were one of the best guilds I've been in - ever - because they structured their comms like it was the military and actively kicked those that couldn't behave, and on top of that they had a policy that ensured that toxic behavior that extends beyond gameplay was not welcomed. They would rather say 'gg' unironically than to shit talk people when they lost. They wouldn't respond to antagonizing and left that to the leadership to disclose how the guild was feeling. And yet, Sorcerer found a way to hate PRX, of all guilds, because he kept losing and they were better. That instilled zero confidence in me then and does not bode well for me now.

I have very high hopes for the core tech / devops / coders for Ashes of Creation. There's no question I have about that; this game has some incredibly talented people working on it (Akil Hooper, Kevin McPherson, etc) and they deserve the best. I'm sure they're getting paid well, too.

But... I really hope the game doesn't get pushed into the toilet because Sorcerer wants the game to be ArcheAge on launch but tuned to make his guild succeed. His answer to losing was to complain and buy more cash shop items. Being so upset at losing in a game that you go and make your own MMORPG with the wealth you've accumulated yourself so the rules are in your favor... it just rubs me the wrong way since its inception.

And then the whole Battle Royale and how that was communicated as 'tweaking the engine' just reeks of Dave Georgeson-level bullshittery and snake oil peddling. As a programmer, I can understand testing backend mechanics to make sure the systems are able to handle the load, or change the way functions and systems are made in code. That's not how it was explained multiple times over in different interviews. This whole notion that "the Battle Royale helped us see what combat systems would be fun in an MMORPG version of the same game, so we can redo them later" are just outright fabrications, and I am surprised anyone is even buying that. They're two completely different genres and none of the design would carry over into an MMORPG anyways... at least not beyond art, animations, code, and backend tech. And absolutely none of that was claimed as the reason for their failed battle royale.

Let's not forget that the guy has a history of being a piece of shit either, from L2 until now.
How the fuck do you even get banned for this shit?

R9oQkXE.png

Also, of note: Dude has no issues with using cheats in other games.
3W86GuV.jpg

I have zero doubts that Sharf was a total fucking fag asshole in the games he played. Like many of us! However, knowing nothing about him other than that it seems his game engineers his main gripes from Archeage out of it. That being the inability to fuck over PK/Pirates who have an impregnable secret zone to have as their base that can't be assaulted by the normal factions. In addition to cross-timezone sieges on your shit, you can do nothing about it. Being a PK/Pirate will take a lot of risk and put you at a pretty big disadvantage. But you get to be an outlaw and just organize your shit and ignore the big guilds/nodes as you wish.

As the game economy has all your shit building towards the key nodes if you are totally outside of that you'll be pretty hardup to get the necessary crafting stations, mats, items to really contend even if you have numbers? Or something like that.

The 5 day delay between declaring a siege on your capital and only allowing the capital siege within the primetime timezone of the server you're on is honestly one of the best and most common sense ideas they had when it came to a game like this.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Shadowbane and Archeage did the same thing (multiple days warning). SB has no Limits on siege times, I can’t recall if AA limited it (I want to say it did, but can’t 100% recall. I don’t remember any 6am weekday shit going on. Wasn’t it always weekends?)

bytes

Molten Core Raider
It says only 10 flying mounts will exist at any given time on the server. Only guild masters/castle lords who invest in them will have them on demand. Otherwise you can find dragon eggs that hatch and the mounts die off after some duration of use.
No chance in hell it will stay like this. People will get annoyed by the inconvenience (it's a fairly stupid system in the first place, just creates busywork) and the first expansion will have flying mounts for everyone 24/7.

• 2Dislike

Raes

Vyemm Raider
No chance in hell it will stay like this. People will get annoyed by the inconvenience (it's a fairly stupid system in the first place, just creates busywork) and the first expansion will have flying mounts for everyone 24/7.

Eh, it's just another idea stolen from Lineage 2. They had (have?) the same exact flying dragons for guild leaders only, but they do let everyone else hatch a dragon egg and get a non-flying baby dragon mount.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I have zero doubts that Sharf was a total fucking fag asshole in the games he played. Like many of us! However, knowing nothing about him other than that it seems his game engineers his main gripes from Archeage out of it. That being the inability to fuck over PK/Pirates who have an impregnable secret zone to have as their base that can't be assaulted by the normal factions. In addition to cross-timezone sieges on your shit, you can do nothing about it. Being a PK/Pirate will take a lot of risk and put you at a pretty big disadvantage. But you get to be an outlaw and just organize your shit and ignore the big guilds/nodes as you wish.

As the game economy has all your shit building towards the key nodes if you are totally outside of that you'll be pretty hardup to get the necessary crafting stations, mats, items to really contend even if you have numbers? Or something like that.

The 5 day delay between declaring a siege on your capital and only allowing the capital siege within the primetime timezone of the server you're on is honestly one of the best and most common sense ideas they had when it came to a game like this.

Great guild. Tuco Tuco got a bunch of us in for guild wars 2.

If PRX goes official in almost any game I'll play. Missed the last one because work and it was short lived.

Look forward to gaming as PRX again.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Shadowbane and Archeage did the same thing (multiple days warning). SB has no Limits on siege times, I can’t recall if AA limited it (I want to say it did, but can’t 100% recall. I don’t remember any 6am weekday shit going on. Wasn’t it always weekends?)

SB implemented limited siege times a few servers into its lifespan. Could siege from something like noon to midnight EST last I remember.

Cybsled

AA was fun for organized things, but random skirmish PVP was meh and pack runs became ultra boring when they capped race car speeds.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
40 Man raids are a mistake

Any limit on raids is a mistake. The concept of raid limits is one of those things that had such huge, unforeseen consequences. Zergs should be possible if you want, the negative to zerging should be almost no one gets loot. (And some mechanics to punish mass deaths).

A huge problem with MMOs in general today is they aren't enough world, and way too much game. Developers try to control way too much and they don't let their world breathe. Shit, last time I played WoW, I realized the world was just a fancy lobby you waited in while waiting for very distinctly different games to play.

• 9Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 9 users

Octave

Trakanon Raider
A huge problem with MMOs in general today is they aren't enough world, and way too much game. Developers try to control way too much and they don't let their world breathe.

Yep. Focus on balance and large teams requiring standardization of content caused this.

Older games like everquest designed items, dungeons, mob, and abilities without much regard to balance or formula. This gave the games character and allowed players to learn to optimize their behavior. Imbalance is a feature and not a bug.

Formulas create bland content.

• 2Like

Cybsled

Any limit on raids is a mistake. The concept of raid limits is one of those things that had such huge, unforeseen consequences. Zergs should be possible if you want, the negative to zerging should be almost no one gets loot. (And some mechanics to punish mass deaths).

Performance is a bigger issue. I recall EQ1 zerg raids where I basically had to stare at the floor for an hour because otherwise I would be unable to move.

Uncapped raids in uninstanced content is basically begging for a slide show. And shit performance in a PVP game is an even bigger issue than in PVE.

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Wondering what kind of cap they are going to settle on for the city node sieges. There's no way they can just let, for example, a 250v250 battle happen and crash the server.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
DAOC had three factions, and usually the two out-numbered factions teamed up. It worked pretty well.

This is probably the biggest lie that gets told year in and year out. On my server it was Alb > Mid > Hib. I played as a Nightshade (Hib) and life was fucking brutal. There was never any soft alliances that happened, you either got smashed, or steamrolled if you were the lowest of the population.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Archeage later on also added dragon mounts for guild leaders who owned a castle.