Ashes of Creation

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ranger looks nice. Really wanting to see the Summoner or Bard.

They narrowed down Alpha 2 date for 3rd Quarter.

Last edited:

Mr. Sox

Trakanon Raider
Joppa was asked the question in the unofficial discord for pantheon about the numbers. I would say there are about 2500 dtill people on their forums. I have like a 1000 friends on the forums. I am still permanently muted there but michael send me key to play alpha. I have a discord invite fir their official channel. Never use it
I am currently timed out for laying into joppa in public channel.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ranger looks nice. Really wanting to see the Summoner or Bard.

They narrowed down Alpha 2 date for 3rd Quarter.
Haven't checked in on this thread in a while.

Is it me, or does this game seem like it's basically in development hell and will never release? It's almost been a decade at this point. There's no way it's not going to be a pile of shit, right?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

Is it me, or does this game seem like it's basically in development hell and will never release? It's almost been a decade at this point. There's no way it's not going to be a pile of shit, right?
Reminds me of Crowfall so far, lots of cool "ideas" but the videos are kinda like slightly better stuff than last time but all the cool stuff is still to be done and what they show is not that impressive. That game also promised a lot of stuff, had a lot of alphas and betas and video, and eventually it half released already forgotten, then closed right away and now it's... dead I think? Clicking the official website on google brings me to an error page so their website isn't even running.

Might turn out differently and will be glad to be proven wrong if it does release in a nice state but yeah I've never been hyped about this, it's easy to make a lot of promises when you make a mmo but actually making the game after is a whole different story. See also Pantheon, although for that it makes a lot more sense nothing's coming out of it since they have no money so it's more of an indie game if anything.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

In a nutshell, I've been cautiously optimistic for a couple years and I haven't seen anything that moves the needle either way. Though the fact that they've hired a lot more people and production hit another gear in in late 2021, was a good sign.

I don't have any doubt that the game will be released, but I'm concerned it's not going to be something I enjoy because several of the design decisions are diametrically opposed to the way that I like to play MMOs.

For instance, I despise open world-PvP. Not because I don't like PvP, but because it provides an opportunity for all the drooling retards an opportunity to fuck with people just for the lols and it destroys immersion in pursuit of the 1 in 10,000 memorable moments that happen in world PvP. Supposedly, there are going to be systems that punish fucktards. However, in my experience, the consequences are never severe enough. Usually, the 'penalties' only limit how long the drooler can fuck with the person just trying to play the game and there's rarely a shortage of idiots looking to troll people after the first idiot is forced to back off.

Don't get me wrong, I love to PvP, but I want to opt in because there is absolutely no way to make it 'fun' when only one side wants to engage. For example - the caravan system in this game sounds great in theory, and it might even be fun to fight off a 'fair' attack the first few times, but I can almost guarantee that it's not going to be 'fun' the 10th time you get ambushed trying to deliver some fucking lumber, sheepskin, or what-the-fuck-ever.

Consequently, one of two things is going to happen. 1. No one bothers doing caravans or 2. They're so lucrative that the they bring enough security to butt-fuck all but a Delta Force-level ambush and no one ever attacks them. Either way, it becomes a near-pointless system. I suppose you could make an effort to balance them by giving the caravan-master the option to 'flag' and if he does it dramatically increases the risk, but also the reward. At least then, it might function on some level, but guilds would likely just have a couple of folks patrol trade routes and when the see you flagged, call in the calvary to stomp you in the dirt.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This game is still too far off to make any kind of judgement call on it. I like that it seems like the progress is speeding up now. This game will be in Alpha 2 for at least 6 months and most likely a full year. I am pretty sure they want a good game. I am willing to bet not a single person working for the company is a non-gamer. That is a lot of gaming minds to work systems out like the caravan system. I kind of wish they would have treated PvP like DAoC did, where it was a region instead of the whole world. Balance, as always, will play a major role on fun. I do not think griefers will be as large of an issue as some think. There will be areas that are known for them, just like there were areas known for Stealthers in DAoC.

I still have high hopes for the game and am certainly looking forward to Alpha 2.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
This is yet another tab-targetting MMO. Tab-targetting was fine in 2001 when I was playing on a Pentium 233, but it's time to hang up the ancient tech, boomers. The genre has moved on.

For that reason alone, I'm not interested at all. Not to mention all the retard bullshit systems they're trying to shoehorn in.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Clicking the official website on google brings me to an error page so their website isn't even running.
Website works fine and has been up / active for weeks now without interruption as I also checked that. They make money off the shop, quite a bit actually - so no, it wouldnt be offline for long if it did go down. I feel like you hit a fan made site by accident or something - which yea, Ive seen plenty of those rise and fall.
This is yet another tab-targetting MMO. Tab-targetting was fine in 2001 when I was playing on a Pentium 233, but it's time to hang up the ancient tech, boomers. The genre has moved on.

For that reason alone, I'm not interested at all. Not to mention all the retard bullshit systems they're trying to shoehorn in.
Game has plenty of Hybrid Combat to get your action fix or your tab targeting fix. The action games always annoy the piss out of me because of their limitations so Im thankful for some semblance of control with tab targeting. But yes, I agree, tab targeting is fucking ancient.

The game has made some huge leaps and bounds in terms of progress, however. Always some very new, fleshed out system that is incredible compared to its MMO peers on the market. I give this game a break simply because of two reasons right now. One, its an indie project that has made other indie projects look like complete trash. Star Citizen is the only one that is closest in terms of what looks like a quality product, and I think the cloud of scamware hanging above Star Citizen gives AOC a bad rep for its indie status. Two, how many MMO's have we begged and pleaded for them to come out earlier - cause for fucks sake, the exaggerated decade is a long time right? .. and they just crash and fucking burn because its an incomplete dumpster fire that has shallow as fuck systems.

The only problem I have with the game, and we all keep parroting it - is the open world PVP. It is literally going to make or break this game on the spot. Territory control is a huge thing, so I know that killing a faggot will have to happen. But then we also have TJ McGoofy that just got home from School and thinks its hilarious to kill a level 10 over and over. So how do you police that? How do you make going "red" something that is punishing to the toxic player, but not to someone in territory control? The interviews where this is brought up, and its brought up a lot, he keeps saying little things. But he's also hinted at something they havent implemented yet - which just opens up more questions and doesnt help anything.

I have no doubt in my mind that this game will launch, and just like every MMO - the time to play it will be at its launch. Get ahead of the curve, take your lumps as you level and keep playing. The forum guilds have a terrible fucking track record, and none of them have broken records in years. Almost non-existant when it comes to PVP help per New World for example. Hook up with a guild you know that resembles how PRX ran things in GW2 and go at it. Almost guaranteed to enjoy the game once all the other shit that was a concern is behind you, like a max lvl character griefing your low lvl character.

Newfie

Trakanon Raider
I used to love PVP when I had a larger circle of friends that also enjoyed the game but as I got older I came to realize it attracts the lowest common denominator of player. It ends up with a small group of asshats making it their daily goal in life to deprive someone else of enjoyment by any means necessary. I'm not talking about the group of friends who run their Guild like a military unit and practice daily drills then go out and face roll groups, that will be just part of the game. I'm talking about the guilds like in Arkage, that would camp the bridges and lock down the entire server from any progression for days on end just because they could.

That and the fact that every, and I mean every damn open world PVP game with territory control, within the first month devolves into one or two large guilds locking down the servers and the smaller groups of people never being able to compete. They will get locked out of farming the best nodes, they will be locked out of making the best gear and in the end the PVP becomes an exercise in futility. Then the mass exodus begins with people leaving and the smaller guilds having to disband. Then the larger guilds will swallow up the dregs until all you have left are one or two guilds on each server and the peons paying tribute to the leaders every week supplying the mats so they can go out and face roll any new people coming into the game driving them away and making them hate PVP. The ouroboros finishes eating itself and developers wonder where they went wrong.

Add to this the dailies that seems to now be required in every MMO and the new "Pay by Attrition(pay for bank slots, pay for inventory slots, pay for faster mount, pay to get out of drab looking gear, pay for attack pet, pay for invisibility, pay for housing, pay for better upgrade success... You see where I'm going)" model that seem to have become a staple in almost every MMO, and you have the reason why Ive soured from MMOs in general.

• 1Solidarity

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Website works fine and has been up / active for weeks now without interruption as I also checked that. They make money off the shop, quite a bit actually - so no, it wouldnt be offline for long if it did go down. I feel like you hit a fan made site by accident or something - which yea, Ive seen plenty of those rise and fall.

Pretty sure he was talking about Crowfall

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Pretty sure he was talking about Crowfall
Ahh yea, I reread it and I just glossed over it I assume. I never could get into Crowfall and never really understood the appeal in it. Crowfall was never something that I actually thought would be worth af. Guess I wasnt alone.

I used to love PVP when I had a larger circle of friends that also enjoyed the game but as I got older I came to realize it attracts the lowest common denominator of player. It ends up with a small group of asshats making it their daily goal in life to deprive someone else of enjoyment by any means necessary. I'm not talking about the group of friends who run their Guild like a military unit and practice daily drills then go out and face roll groups, that will be just part of the game. I'm talking about the guilds like in Arkage, that would camp the bridges and lock down the entire server from any progression for days on end just because they could.
The world is said to be 480 square kms, with an additional 100 square km for the under world. For comparison, New Worlds map is 40 square kms. I bring this up because fast travel is going to be limited, so the game will be more like Eve Online than it will be New World or WoW in THAT kind of regard. Bottle Necks will exist in some regions, which will be just like warp gate travel. But you have options, like the Under World, to get around them. There will supposedly be a cap of upwards of 10k people simultaneously online for each server. So it wont feel as sparse as it may sound, but you can very clearly fuck off to another part of the map entirely and likely never see anyone.

I emphasize the size of the map, because it just wont make any sense for an uber guild (or uber guilds) to capture every point of interest in a world so large. Take a look at the map of Eve Online for an example of what I think it will look like within AOC once it hits saturation. Unlike New World, there is diversity in a map this large. At certain distances, it just takes too long to travel there to form any type of meaningful defense/offense.

Where you at in all of this Xerge Xerge ?
influence.png

Sudo

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ahh yea, I reread it and I just glossed over it I assume. I never could get into Crowfall and never really understood the appeal in it. Crowfall was never something that I actually thought would be worth af. Guess I wasnt alone.

The world is said to be 480 square kms, with an additional 100 square km for the under world. For comparison, New Worlds map is 40 square kms. I bring this up because fast travel is going to be limited, so the game will be more like Eve Online than it will be New World or WoW in THAT kind of regard. Bottle Necks will exist in some regions, which will be just like warp gate travel. But you have options, like the Under World, to get around them. There will supposedly be a cap of upwards of 10k people simultaneously online for each server. So it wont feel as sparse as it may sound, but you can very clearly fuck off to another part of the map entirely and likely never see anyone.

I emphasize the size of the map, because it just wont make any sense for an uber guild (or uber guilds) to capture every point of interest in a world so large. Take a look at the map of Eve Online for an example of what I think it will look like within AOC once it hits saturation. Unlike New World, there is diversity in a map this large. At certain distances, it just takes too long to travel there to form any type of meaningful defense/offense.

Where you at in all of this Xerge Xerge ?
influence.png

It still floors me that no one has made an EVE fantasy by just cloning most of EVE's systems.

• 1Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
It still floors me that no one has made an EVE fantasy by just cloning most of EVE's systems.
This is what crowfall was supposed to be before they decided to make it minecraft instead with a side of battle royale

Randin

Trakanon Raider
That game Pax Dei sounds like it's trying to go in that direction (although presumably with fewer spreadsheets). The fact that they've got some ex-EVE devs working on it engenders at least a little optimism.