Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Great game AngryGerbil AngryGerbil

I hope you play AC rogue after this. The story and protagonist is wonderful. It flips the idea of the Creed on its head.

May The Father Understanding Guide Us.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
I dunno why but Rogue didn't click with me at all, I found the whole game a snooze fest. Too Canadian lol. It and AC3 are the only Assassin Creed games I didn't like.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I'm several hours in to Rogue and I have to admit, it is not nearly as impressive as AC:4.

The story doesn't capture me in any way. I still don't really comprehend who my character is or what he's all about. This part was laid out very clearly in AC4.

The setting seems weird to me. There are enemy soldiers scattered all around whom I can kill.... but I don't know why I would want to kill them and they themselves don't seem to care that I exist.

The ship handling is off. It doesn't feel so much like I am managing a ship of sea, it feels more like I am managing an arcade version of a ship at sea. The handling is, to be blunt, too tight. Movement on sea is actually too easy and fast.

The character seems to not respond quite as sharply as the guy in AC4 did. It's not a terrible game-breaking deficit, but it is just a little on the sloppy side.

Level design is also not nearly as clever as AC4. I know the AC games are somewhat on rails in the sense that "That tree leads to that ledge which leads to that prize", but in Rogue the whole thing seems so much more obvious and monodirectional.

Overall I am enjoying Rogue because it is essentially just AC4 again, which is fine. I sort of wanted to play more AC4, and Rogue fits that bill. That being said, it is not nearly as 'magical' (if I may use the word) as AC4 was. I will almost certainly play through Rogue and enjoy it and think it worth my while... but it is no AC4.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i'm playing through black flag again... but i couldn't finish rogue

• 1Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
AC: Rogue spoiler:

Okay, I got through Mission 5 and have found the plot twist. I am now much more involved with Rogue's story.

I still don't like the overall 'sloppy' feel of the gameplay, but I can now at least appreciate the story and this plot twist will help me to enjoy the playthough much more.

I sort of like playing a person who is helping the British Royals. It's entirely at odds with every game or movie since my birth. The only 'bad guy' I've ever been fed, other than the Germans and the Russians.... are the British. It is refreshing, in an RPG sense, to become a helper of the Redcoats.

I'm okay with this fact, as a twist. This is fine and different. I approve.

• 1Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
One thing I like about the AC series, despite its on-rails gameplay and SocJus attitude, is its willingness to deeply(ish) explore different parts of history.

It's fun to be an Italian and then an American and then a Brit and then a Egyptian and then a Greek and on and on and on...

They don't do it exactly the way I would do it, but at least they're doing it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rude

Potato del Grande
i'm playing through black flag again... but i couldn't finish rogue
Was Rogue released on current gen consoles or something? That game was smaller than most expansions and they tried to sell it at full retail prices. In hindsight, Rogue and Unity both were total garbage.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Was Rogue released on current gen consoles or something? That game was smaller than most expansions and they tried to sell it at full retail prices. In hindsight, Rogue and Unity both were total garbage.

Yes, Rogue was released on PS4/xbox1a year ago. It’s one of my favorites, I really enjoyed playing as a Templar’s. It is very short,10hrs or so and does feel like a Black Flag expansion.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Black Flag is so damn good, I may have to go replay it again.

I hope Skull and Bones is awesome too.
The announcement of Skull and Bones is the fastest I've ever gone from insanely hyped to annoyed and apathetic. "Holy shit, they're making a Pirate's Creed, they're actually doing it! Oh, it's going to be a multiplayer-focused online game? Well, it's not what I wanted, but I guess it could still be cool--oh, you can't actually control your character on foot? No exploring islands and port cities, no boarding actions, just sailing your ship around completing multiplayer challenges? Well, the dream was fun while it lasted."

All I want from Ubisoft is Red Dead Redemption 2, but with pirates. They're the perfect people to make that kind of game. Just do it already.

j00t

i don't necessarily want a bunch of running around on foot, i'd appreciate SOME. going around in port cities, maybe even a little island or cove exploration could be fun... the pure ship stuff in black flag was great, but it definitely needed some walking around to break up the gameplay. but the fact that there's no boarding is lame.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Rogue was one of my favorites. (2nd to AC2. I’m a story guy first and preferred it vastly over Black Flags but BF was a better overall game.)

Rogue got screwed by being put on the back burner for Unity which was god awful. Unity went to new consoles while Rogue went to the old. (To die)

Shay is a likeable character.

I love the Templars. You owe it to yourself to play the remastered.

j00t

the story for rogue wasn't too bad, from what i saw of it. it was more that i feel like it didn't have it's own identity. like it was a reskin of black flag by a less skilled team. black flag had a MASSIVE identity. you're a pirate! A PIRATE! WITH PIRATE SHIPS AND EVERYTHING!!! oh, you guys liked ship to ship combat? how bout we do the same thing but make you a templar!