Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I've been going through the 2nd game's series this past week. I banged out AC2 and AC:Brotherhood no problem, but AC:Revelations is really getting on my nerves with Ezio being an old fart.

...and for fuck's sake, who thought adding a slow-motion camera for final kills in a combo was a great idea?

Still waiting on a decent sale for AC3, though.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
The series is in need of cutting down on the unnecessary crap, judging by the release date this is the Brotherhood to AC3. If they manage to pull off GTA: Pirates of the Carribean, great, but I have a feeling that the core action game is going to be drowned in ship managing/lair building/follower recruiting/trading/voodoo/diving/flower decorating/collar popping.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The series is in need of cutting down on the unnecessary crap, judging by the release date this is the Brotherhood to AC3. If they manage to pull off GTA: Pirates of the Carribean, great, but I have a feeling that the core action game is going to be drowned in ship managing/lair building/follower recruiting/trading/voodoo/diving/flower decorating/collar popping.
Yeah, this is looking to be like the least Assassin based Assassin's Creed ever.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Now that it's been officially announced, there's a bunch of articles online about it. Part of theIGNarticle caught my attention:

That kind of flexibility lends itself to the entire mission philosophy for Black Flag. Ubisoft wants to remove some of the barriers that previous games created, leaning more on open-ended directives, something that lends itself more towards the (comparatively) simple assassination orders from the first AC game. Ismail described his approach as being less about hand-holding and more about providing basic objectives with flexible conditions for satisfying said objectives, which also includes refining game systems for things like detection and stealth, so players better understand how the game "reads" their actions.
So we might actually be getting back the ability to plan out the assassinations ourselves.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So we might actually be getting back the ability to plan out the assassinations ourselves.
I'll believe it when I see it. The only people paying attention to AC4 right now are customers that game developers don't dumb games down for.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Back of the AC4 poster:

QbAGwKp.jpg

Sean_sl

shitlord
A couple notes on AC4: It's been in development since 2011 by the team that did AC:R and a couple of the other Ubisoft studios are working on it including part of the Far Cry team and Ubisoft Singapore who did the Naval Combat for AC3. The AC3 team is not working on it.

Imo it's pretty nice that Ubisoft can release games so often due to having so many different teams, and they're high quality games at that.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That is always the disappointing thing with most studios is that if you love something and you "need" more of it - it's a trickle of 6 months of DLC or so, then a year or two wait. (Or they rush and the quality suffers for it)

One title a year really "feels right" but so few companies have the resources allocated (or even available) to do what Ubi has been doing with AC.

And in those small notes, I'm so very happy to see the same AC3 Naval guys are involved - as long as they don't make another mission that requires the three powder keg explosions to 100% again. That mission made me want to rip my hair out platinuming it.

Touraxus_sl

shitlord
Apparently playstation worked out a deal for some exclusives.

"Update: Customers who purchase Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag on PS3 or PS4 can download an additional 60 minutes of exclusive gameplay via the PlayStation Network at the game's launch. We'll have further details to share in the months ahead!"

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Apparently playstation worked out a deal for some exclusives.

"Update: Customers who purchase Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag on PS3 or PS4 can download an additional 60 minutes of exclusive gameplay via the PlayStation Network at the game's launch. We'll have further details to share in the months ahead!"
Some people call it 60 minutes of gameplay, some people call it unskippable cutscenes!