Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Aliens: Colonial Marines set in the 18th century.

caramon13_sl

shitlord
I've been going through the 2nd game's series this past week. I banged out AC2 and AC:Brotherhood no problem, but AC:Revelations is really getting on my nerves with Ezio being an old fart.

...and for fuck's sake, who thought adding a slow-motion camera for final kills in a combo was a great idea?

Still waiting on a decent sale for AC3, though.
Steam has a sale on AC3 through 3/18, thinking of picking it up myself

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
New Vid. Was a bit skeptical when the pirate theme was first announced but after seeing this I might be able to get on board. Hopefully they nail the open world aspect but after getting my hopes up with all the AC3 hype I will remain healthily wary. Certainly looking forward to hearing/seeing more.

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Fuck it, ill ride front seat of the hype train on this one. The whale jump gave me a boner (god that doesnt sound right).

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Have they announced who the new descedent is going to be this time around or are they retconning this to a time prior to desmond's supposed death?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The premise is better than AC3 because:
1. The home-base you probably community build happens to be mobile rather than an entire spaced out zone disconnected from the entire game.
2. There's not so much useless forest.
3. They have an excuse to make ludicrously impressive ruins.
4. The naval combat (which was the most surprising hit of AC3) will likely be a central theme of the game.
5. It'll be easier to make interesting characters with pirates.

So yeah, I was pretty down on AC3 from the start but I think AC4 will be much better. My only real concern is that there won't be much assassination going on, but at least you're not playing a character who is torn between the revolutionary war, the different political parties for the patriots, your retarded homestead people and your father. Instead you're likely to be more free like Altair.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Have they announced who the new descedent is going to be this time around or are they retconning this to a time prior to desmond's supposed death?
I remember reading somewhere that it was gonna be Abstergo using Desmond's DNA or some dumb shit. Not sure how they will spin that if true. The capability was hinted at after the credits in AC3.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
So yeah, I was pretty down on AC3 from the start but I think AC4 will be much better. My only real concern is that there won't be much assassination going on, butat least you're not playing a character who is torn between the revolutionary war, the different political parties for the patriots, your retarded homestead people and your father. Instead you're likely to be more free like Altair.
Yea, this iterations protagonist looks to be far less the whiny little bitch Connor was. I mean cmon, if he's rubbing elbows with Blackbeard like the vid suggests he's gotta be all sorts of badass. And speaking of Altair, Ubi has stated that they wanted to bring back the open-ended assassination options that we had in AC1. I never understood why they deviated from that. Hearing little clues and setting up my own assassination plots was sweet even though it was limited by being an early PS3 title (if that even makes sense?).

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I remember reading somewhere that it was gonna be Abstergo using Desmond's DNA or some dumb shit. Not sure how they will spin that if true. The capability was hinted at after the credits in AC3.
That's pretty much it. If I remember correctly, the premise is supposed to be that Abstergo's figured out how to essentially upload a person's genetic memory into their servers, and let anyone experience it with an Animus.

So, you're supposed to be playing a random low-level Abstergo employee (i.e.: one who doesn't know about the Templar thing) who's assigned to research Edward Kenway's life for some reason.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Been waiting for a new pirate game since Sid Meier's Pirates!, and this might be as close as I'll get. There are a lot of caribbean trade games involving pirates, but they're all shit.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Fuck it, ill ride front seat of the hype train on this one. The whale jump gave me a boner (god that doesnt sound right).
Move aside 'cause I'm sitting front row. Showed the trailer to the wife last night and all I got was "oh not again".

1. The home-base you probably community build happens to be mobile rather than an entire spaced out zone disconnected from the entire game.
2. There's not so much useless forest.
3. They have an excuse to make ludicrously impressive ruins.
4. The naval combat (which was the most surprising hit of AC3) will likely be a central theme of the game.
5. It'll be easier to make interesting characters with pirates.

So yeah, I was pretty down on AC3 from the start but I think AC4 will be much better. My only real concern is that there won't be much assassination going on, but at least you're not playing a character who is torn between the revolutionary war, the different political parties for the patriots, your retarded homestead people and your father. Instead you're likely to be more free like Altair.
Holy shit yes RUINS. It's going to bePirate's Creed: Edward's Fortuneand we're going to be satisfied, I guarantee it.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
A tad disappointed that we went further back in time; but, the ships were probably the best part of AC3. ;\

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
The good money's on this being Abstergo looking for goodies post demise. It seemed all but beat over the head that they (or Erudito) had hacked into the Animus Desmond was using and so they've been extracting data since. Point in cases: finish the pivot side quest after the main storyline (someone was hacking the Assassin Animus to the Abstergo cloud it seems); the whole business about the Tyranny of King Washington heavily suggests someone snooping for info on what happened to Washington's Apple.

Fadaar

That guy
Seen people playing it over the last few days at RTX, looks like a lot of fun. Really don't have any more info than that, just caught a few glimpses here and there. They appear to have some sort of co-op for single player but I'm not really sure how the hell that works.

Fadaar

That guy
Well, I just lost all interest in this game.
It didn't look forced or anything, to be honest I'm not really sure how the shit it worked. Just saw a bunch of people playing and every now and then they'd all cut to the same cutscene. For all I know it might be some other multiplayer form completely separate from the single player story.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
New game play video and I've lost all interest in this game. I could barely tolerate the naval battles in AC3 and it appears to be a big part of the game now. The idea of a stealth assassin engaging in naval battles was so laughable. They still can't think of a way to evolve the combat and stealth mechanics in AC so they tack on this shit. They found a good formula with AC2 but now they just keep regurgitating it. I am just not excited anymore.

The part in the video where the target he is chasing after jumps on a fully rigged ship and it instantaneously takes off is hilarious.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
That looked awesome. I agree that there are unbelievable oddities, but that's just a casualty of gameplay vs. realism. The ship taking off like an automobile was funny.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah it looks gorgeous no doubt about it. I guess I might pick it up during a steam sale. Got to laugh at the dude still rocking leather armor and a full on hood in a tropical weather as well.