Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Greece)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I haven't beaten an AC game ever. I usually play them and get tired of the repetitiveness of it all. Today I beat AC: Odyssey in 85 hours, beating all the main quests, all the cultists, and most of the side quests. I did some of the endgame legendary bosses as well but since they're still adding DLC content I've decided to take a break until its all released.. and because I've put in several hours a day playing this over the past 2 weeks.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Origins was pretty good. It was flawed because this was obviously their first attempt at RPG mechanics and they were just dipping their toes into it, but overall I enjoyed it. However, I put it down and never picked it up again once I got into Breath of the Wild. So yeah, it's definitely one of those games to try only when you have nothing else to play.

The character perks/talent trees, if you will, were extremely shallow in that department, so leveling was kind of pointless. Odyssey is way more fleshed out in that regard and I absolutely love the "hot key" system they have now. Also they added in scaling so you aren't massively over leveled mid way through the game like you were in Origins, and that is a huge help. I'm 90 hours and counting (about 2/3 of the way through the main story according to trophies), and it's not trivialized yet.

The story was eh, but honestly I feel the same way about Odyssey. They really have a horrible habit of trying to make ancient world people talk like someone from the inner city in 2018. Also they really have a revisionist view of history in both games, and at times it's kind of eye rolling. However, Odyssey has much more cinematic side quests. Most regions in Odyssey have their own self contained mini stories that are very well fleshed out. Origin's character has 0 personality or charisma and frankly he was a bore, versus Alexios/Kassandra who both have their unique bit of flare that makes them way more entertaining. If story is your primary pillar in playing, I'd say Origins will grate you.

Origins does have a form of Mercenary yes, but it's way more static and finite. There are like one or two of them wandering each region, and if a flame is lit or you make too much of a scene they will start b lining to where you are. They are MUCH harder than mercenaries in Odyssey but once you down them they don't get replaced. And it's only one so you can track where they go and go to the opposite side of the region and go on a murdering spree, and bug out before they show up. Personally, while I enjoyed what Origins had, I have had a blast with Mercenaries in Odyssey just due to the fact that they make situations so unpredictable due to 3 or 4 Mercenaries interrupting your massacre of a fort.

The main thing I think Origins has over Odyssey is it's a much more focused game. You are pretty much 3rd person guy making his way through Egypt taking out forts, camps, and other places full of bad guys. It had some forced ship missions, and the crappy modern day parts, and it was jarring to be in the midst of your goals to only have to stop and do something completely different for "just because" reasons. On the other side, Odyssey throws all kinds of meta shit at you. You can spend all your time on the water, upgrading your ship, and killing pirates, or military ships, or be a pirate yourself. Also each region is ruled by one of the two factions (Sparta and Athens) and you can weaken it down by invading forts and what not, then join in on a large scale battle for one side or the other. I'm finally used to it now, but at first it was really overwhelming.

Since I'm not an old school AC guy, I feel both games really suffer from the jarring modern day shit. I get it, and I know the purpose it served in the older games, since it was really what the overall plot was about, but in these games it just feels forced and tacked on. I've heard that the ending to Odyssey sheds enough light to make it all make sense, so I'm really hoping that is the case. Thankfully so far in Odyssey they have been really brief if you wanted them to be. Some of the sequences in Origins took for fucking ever and were terribly timed.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
The real-day story in Assassin's Creed games has in my opinion has always been the weakest aspect of the games, and one of the reasons I've had a hard time getting into them previously outside of Black Flag (because the setting and ship combat was worth the facepalming). Even in Odyssey when it's verging on topics I find interesting like reality being a simulation, the implementation is definitely jarring and serves little purpose than to take you out of the game/story.

I tried to participate in the present- day story and read emails and stuff, but it was all really cringe worthy. I guess this shouldn't be a surprise from a game studio that thinks what gamers want to see each time they start the game is a socio-political statement how the dev team is so diverse as to contain range of gender identities. And there were definitely agendas and political messaging written into the game, though thankfully the worst of it was in the daily quests where in exchange for some xp you'd get a lecture from an character from ancient Greece about the benefits of universal government healthcare and all the options were forced agreement. Many very obviously cases of people of certain demographics and ideologies unable to write themselves out of the game, even when it would have made for a better game, which is always shit writing in my opinion even if you agree with the message.

Thankfully it was easy to rush through the present-day story portions, but the ending (at least as Kassandra) was so barf as to leave a bad taste in my mouth. Whatever happened to just making a good game? Things got ridiculous for a while with the over abundance of pop culture Easter eggs, and now I guess the new normal will be informing me that the dev team is varied in gender identities and getting current-day political messages in my quests. No thanks. Just make a good game that let's me ignore the current nonsense going on in the world.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
The present day parts are almost nil in this game. I've only had two which lasted about 10 minutes altogether. I agree that it is immersion breaking. It would be better implemented as an optional thing to do in the menus.

I say this is pretty much every other thread as well when it is brought up. If you're so butthurt because a video game goes against your own political agenda then maybe you need to man the fuck up and get over it. Pick yourself up by your bootstraps if you will. No one gives a fuck that a quest that you didn't have to do, that you can just skip the dialogue of, upset your delicate political ideologies. Its so hard to see which side are 'snowflakes' when both sides bitch and moan so much.

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
The present day parts are almost nil in this game. I've only had two which lasted about 10 minutes altogether. I agree that it is immersion breaking. It would be better implemented as an optional thing to do in the menus.

I say this is pretty much every other thread as well when it is brought up. If you're so butthurt because a video game goes against your own political agenda then maybe you need to man the fuck up and get over it. Pick yourself up by your bootstraps if you will. No one gives a fuck that a quest that you didn't have to do, that you can just skip the dialogue of, upset your delicate political ideologies. Its so hard to see which side are 'snowflakes' when both sides bitch and moan so much.
Nah, the "man-up" phase ended a couple years ago. The trend of injecting political activism into video games has continued to rise, and the uproar about it now is just because we're f'in tired of it.

If only one side is doing all the complaining, game content is going to keep going in the wrong direction. Both sides being snowflakes is probably a good thing for us right now. Maybe the game companies will go back to trying to make games that aren't pushing an agenda one way or the other.

• 2Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider

As far as political agendas go I don't care. I just find it funny that they go out of their way to make women out to be much more than they actually were in a time they were considered property. I mean shit one of the bigger personalities you interact with in the game believed women were by nature dirty since red came out of their naughty parts while men were pure because white came from theirs. Not only that, roughly a third of the mercenaries you face, are these man beast women who look to be 6-5 and about 300 lbs swinging a full battle axe like it's butter. Yeah there may be a woman who fits that bill here and there but absolutely not that frequent. It doesn't ruin the game at all for me, personally, I just find it funny and worth mocking is all. But I've got north of 90 hours in this game and will probably get 90 more as I explore and conquer every last location and the DLC as it is not so down your throat to detract from the awesome gameplay they have put together. I don't care what they identify as, they know how to make a fun playing game.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I am tired of revisionist history, but I didn't notice it much in this game.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am tired of revisionist history, but I didn't notice it much in this game.

I kind of regret bringing it up because no it's not blatant at all. I can't stress enough, the game is awesome and hits almost every one of my tick boxes for what I want out of a game, and is legit right up there with God of War for my 2018 favorite game.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Since I'm not an old school AC guy, I feel both games really suffer from the jarring modern day shit. I get it, and I know the purpose it served in the older games, since it was really what the overall plot was about, but in these games it just feels forced and tacked on. I've heard that the ending to Odyssey sheds enough light to make it all make sense, so I'm really hoping that is the case. Thankfully so far in Odyssey they have been really brief if you wanted them to be. Some of the sequences in Origins took for fucking ever and were terribly timed.

fwiw as someone who played all the AC games when they were released, the future scenes in AC1 and the three ezio AC games were very engaging and enjoyable. But after you finish the Ezio trilogy, you're kind of done with the future bullshit.

• 2Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

Wait, help me understand. I make the observation that I didn't like the writing (in a game with a lot of writing) that was shitty, ahistorical, agenda driven drivel, immersion breaking, socio-political nonsense.... and you crack your knuckles to go on some tough guy on the internet rant that you apparently feel the need to give in pretty much every other thread about snowflakes and calling others butthurt because, get this, I don't want the writers of a game to intentionally push their own personal, modern day agendas in the game in an immersion breaking ahistorical way?

Is that really the position you apparently take in every other thread? That people who don't want ANY modern day agenda so artificially and distractingly inserted into any game are just butthurt snowflakes? That's a pretty stupid position to take, much less in every other thread. You either agree with the socio-political bullshit so want others to be exposed to it, at which point fuck you, or you just have low standards and double fuck you because either way tou're the reason people like me who want entertainment to take me out of the real world, not remind me of it, can't have nice things.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I don't care what they identify as, they know how to make a fun playing game.

I don't feel my video games or fiction or movies or any other form of entertainment that is obviously not about modern day social politics should have to fun or good despite these sorts of immersion breaking intrusions. Especially because I don't believe most gamers care about the gender identities of the devs, so why make a statement about it? Why not just let people not care? Why isn't it enough these days to just enjoy a product on it's own merits as the entertainment it's suppoed to be instead of also being forced to consider the socio-political aspects of the creators? What bullshit gamergate bizarro land did that become something they thought was important to the game? Because I'm sorry but the 10th merc with an obviously male body model beingreferred to as 'she' in the bio didn't really add anything of value to the game compared to being a weird fucking distraction. And despite the butthurt snowflake Dally I'm very socially liberal to the point I'd fuck a transie, no, even better, I'd enter into a long term monogamous relationship with a lady that had a feminine penis... but that doesn't mean I want to be distracted by that shit in a video game about ancient Greece.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't feel my video games or fiction or movies or any other form of entertainment that is obviously not about modern day social politics should have to fun or good despite these sorts of immersion breaking intrusions. Especially because I don't believe most gamers care about the gender identities of the devs, so why make a statement about it? Why not just let people not care? Why isn't it enough these days to just enjoy a product on it's own merits as the entertainment it's suppoed to be instead of also being forced to consider the socio-political aspects of the creators? What bullshit gamergate bizarro land did that become something they thought was important to the game? Because I'm sorry but the 10th merc with an obviously male body model beingreferred to as 'she' in the bio didn't really add anything of value to the game compared to being a weird fucking distraction. And despite the butthurt snowflake Dally I'm very socially liberal to the point I'd fuck a transie, no, even better, I'd enter into a long term monogamous relationship with a lady that had a feminine penis... but that doesn't mean I want to be distracted by that shit in a video game about ancient Greece.

That statement was in reference to their virtue signaling they do every time you start up the game. I don't care who they are or what they are, they make fun games so I will continue to play them, so the self back patting they do is pointless. So I agree with you. The difference is, while I'm pretty sensitive to this as well, I feel the writing overall is pretty bad in these games so it's more laughable than serious to me. That's the best I can do, because legit it doesn't bother me that much. The only thing that's chapped me, is the dipshits who truly believed we should have been forced to play as Kassandra and hated that we had a choice, especially when the numbers came back and well north of 2/3 of the players still picked Alexios. I've played both to the point you upgrade the spear (about a 1/3 of the way through the main story) and I find Kassandra to be very grating because of said virtue signaling so yeah good thing they didn't do that or I would have stopped playing. (Legit she is awful)

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
fwiw as someone who played all the AC games when they were released, the future scenes in AC1 and the three ezio AC games were very engaging and enjoyable. But after you finish the Ezio trilogy, you're kind of done with the future bullshit.

This is what I have heard, and I really believe they had a finite number of these they were planning on doing, and then the popularity exploded so money trumped artistic vision and welp here we are. I personally think they could have just finished the Ezio story with the ultimate ending set in the modern world completely playing as him with all his newly learned skills. Then they could have just made all of the games after that set solely in the past, fleshing out the history and back story of the assassins and such. But then again I'm completely disqualified to make that statement, simply because my first AC game was Origins, and I'm really just going off the many discussions I have read on these games where the past ones were referenced.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Can someone share the examples of this type of writing in game? I must have missed it. I’m 40 hours in and I guess either I wasn’t paying attention or don’t understand what type of undertones they had in their writing.

• 1Solidarity

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This is what I have heard, and I really believe they had a finite number of these they were planning on doing, and then the popularity exploded so money trumped artistic vision and welp here we are. I personally think they could have just finished the Ezio story with the ultimate ending set in the modern world completely playing as him with all his newly learned skills. Then they could have just made all of the games after that set solely in the past, fleshing out the history and back story of the assassins and such. But then again I'm completely disqualified to make that statement, simply because my first AC game was Origins, and I'm really just going off the many discussions I have read on these games where the past ones were referenced.
I think exactly zero people would mind if AC:Odyssey had zero modern content.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Can someone share the examples of this type of writing in game? I must have missed it. I’m 40 hours in and I guess either I wasn’t paying attention or don’t understand what type of undertones they had in their writing.
I haven't really seen anything in this game.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Finished this finally - overall a pretty enjoyable experience, marred by a ton of Ubisoft bullshit. Mostly terrible side quests, awful writing and story (the ending just kind of... stopped? - only satisfying ending to me was the Atlantis stuff, and it still fell flat). Got annoyed with all the loading screens, crashes, and ship stuff by the end - and really wish AC would go back to the base building mechanics from earlier games. Upgrading the ship isn't quite as satisfying as finding a hideout and upgrading that. In an effort to appeal to more people (make the games more action/adventure open world RPGS), they've lost a lot of the charm the earlier AC games had for me.

That said, it's a fun mindless game if you just want to traipse around killing shit in pretty fun ways. Definitely got my money's worth out of this and played maybe 55+ hours. Would be great if they could mesh some of the elements of these open world titles with the charm of the originals..

• 1Solidarity

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Well, Greece in those days was about as immoral as any culture known in history. So I guess when I watched some of the cut scenes and knowing Greece history, it actually fit their timeline in history. We are talking about a culture that actually and historically thought grown men having relations with teenage boys was accepted. Greece was quite literally a shit stain of immoral beliefs.

So I guess from where I sit it would be hard to see if there is some kind of agenda, or if Ubisoft was just being historically accurate. Hate to say it, I would guess more of the latter but probably not knowing it was historically accurate in the first place (because they aren’t that smart) and some of that pandering to the first.

Either way, Greece was full of corruption, immorality, some sick and twisted shit that was a socially accepted norm. Which ultimately led to their rightful demise. 😜

Off to the Bahamas see ya later!

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What's the deal with the daily(?) quest for orichalcum? I just did one that was supposed to give me an ore but I got nothing but the usual junk when I turned it in.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I finished the 3rd Lost Tales of Greece. I’m fairly disappointed with these. I mean they are free and only take about 30 minutes so it’s not like I can complain much but still expected a little more.

I also completed Part 1 of the DLC Legacy of the Blade. This was pretty good. It took about 4-5 hours doing all the side quests. It’s all in one zone so not wasting much time travelling.

It’s just more of the same though. They are not adding new gameplay stuff. There’s a new assassin ability, automatically make corpse vanish when you assassinate someone so you don’t have to hide bodies or have alarm raise because someone finds a corpse you left behind. Minor quality of life thing.

All in all it was fun and I’m looking forward to the next one.