At the Mountains of Madess may be back on, but...

Thorpe

Lord Nagafen Raider
I do not want to see what drives Danforth insane. Nothing in a movie can really compare to the horrors that our imagination can dream up. Besides, it would have to be some cloudy image, mists rolling across the valley beyond, maybe a series of glowing eyes gazing up from the mist, then a massive tentacle slowly drifting across the screen, maybe crushing one of the towers on the plateau to give some sort of measure as to how impossibly large the creature is.
For anyone that didn't get a chance to read del Toro's AMA;

To a degree, it's almost impossible to shoot the book exactly as written, because the book has a very dry form, basically you have a minutely and very accurate scientific expedition diary of the exploration of Antarctica beat-by-beat, with not much character or anecdote, until the impossible breaks through with the apparition of the albino penguins, the discovery of the city, and the discovery of the remnants of the Old Ones, and the fossil records that the expedition stumbles on. You actually need to create character and anecdote to frame all those moments in the novel. So in that sense, a straight adaptation is very difficult. One of my favorite moments in the book is when they look back in the horizon and they see something horrible and indescribable, I think that that's a really difficult moment to have on-film because film is description. But I think that it should be attempted. And I will attempt to give my own solution to that moment.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
After watching Pacific Rim and then The Strain, I just think Del Toro would make it too campy. It doesn't need to be pretty, or have this huge budget for special effects. It needs to have the mood of The Thing or Event Horizon. It needs a moody atmosphere of being part of an exploration team in the middle of nowhere that slowly realizes something is going wrong. I don't think Del Toro is made for this style of movie, he cannot help but make things larger than life and in your face.
PR was supposed to be campy. I haven't watched The Strain, but del Toro has proven in the past that he can make a serious ass creepy movie. Pan's Labyrinth is one, Cronos is another. As a producer he has been attached to even more. I believe he'll take the right approach regardless.

fat12_sl

shitlord
Del Toro is a genius and probably the best "storyteller" other than Tarantino of this generation. He's probably the only person who could do this right. He was perfect for The Hobbit too. Still bitter over that.
No dude. Don't get me wrong, I loved Pan's Labyrinth, but to make that statement is fucking retarded. Hellboy, Hellboy 2, Pacific Rim. Well-done and enjoyable films, but as examples of "best storyteller of a generation"? Come on...

And, man, trying to get through a Lovecraft story is tedious. Read The Mountains of Madness last night, and I get that its being recounted by a scientist, but jesus, it just goes on and on and on and on.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
No dude. Don't get me wrong, I loved Pan's Labyrinth, but to make that statement is fucking retarded. Hellboy, Hellboy 2, Pacific Rim. Well-done and enjoyable films, but as examples of "best storyteller of a generation"? Come on...

And, man, trying to get through a Lovecraft story is tedious. Read The Mountains of Madness last night, and I get that its being recounted by a scientist, but jesus, it just goes on and on and on and on.
And that's what will make this movie difficult. The book is very slow, which works well for the story, but not so much for a movie. It would be a hard balancing act for any director, but I think if anyone call pull it off, it would be Del Toro.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
One of my favorite moments in the book is when they look back in the horizon and they see something horrible and indescribable, I think that that's a really difficult moment to have on-film because film is description. But I think that it should be attempted. And I will attempt to give my own solution to that moment.
good

fat12_sl

shitlord
And that's what will make this movie difficult. The book is very slow, which works well for the story, but not so much for a movie. It would be a hard balancing act for any director, but I think if anyone call pull it off, it would be Del Toro.
On the contrary, I think that it will make a better movie than it is a short story. My gripe is with Lovecraft's writing. He just draws out way too much, but with a film, I think it will benefit from some narrative economy.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Lovecraft stories are great reads for people who like slow paced tension based horror. For what its worth, the closest examples I can recall of successful films that followed that template were probably Hellraiser 1, Hellraiser 2, and maybe The Gate. The first two were rated R, but I think would have been good even as modern era PG13s. On the purely Science Fiction front the original Alien was definitely a slow paced horror story with heavy character driven elements, too. I don't know if a modern audience has the attention span for this sort of story anymore. A well made miniseries might be a better approach to it.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Dude you need to rewatch Hellraiser 2 if you think that shit would fly as PG-13 today. Even Hellraiser 1, the 'jesus wept" thing, that is pure R I al pretty sure.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am saying they could be cut back to PG-13 and not lose much in the process. Obviously the original cuts are clearly R-Rated material. But the gore was not critical to the story in any way.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Lovecraft stories are great reads for people who like slow paced tension based horror. For what its worth, the closest examples I can recall of successful films that followed that template were probably Hellraiser 1, Hellraiser 2, and maybe The Gate. The first two were rated R, but I think would have been good even as modern era PG13s. On the purely Science Fiction front the original Alien was definitely a slow paced horror story with heavy character driven elements, too. I don't know if a modern audience has the attention span for this sort of story anymore. A well made miniseries might be a better approach to it.
Ironic that one of the greatest horror movies of all time, "Alien" was first kicked around as just an idea to do a horror movie in space based off of the success of "Star Wars." Personally, I don't think that there is anything at all wrong with going with the slower paced horror flick, and I think you're underestimating the public if you think a movie more like "Alien" wouldn't be successful if done today.

iannis

Musty Nester
It's a style thing. I enjoy Lovecraft a lot but even I have to be in the mood. He's creating an atmosphere with pacing and very specific word choices. It's really pretty amazing. But it can be fairly esoteric. It's one of those things where the story isn't the whole story.

Yeah, its just tedious sometimes. I mean sometimes you just don't want to listen to Bartok.

LiquidDeath

It's a style thing. I enjoy Lovecraft a lot but even I have to be in the mood. He's creating an atmosphere with pacing and very specific word choices. It's really pretty amazing. But it can be fairly esoteric. It's one of those things where the story isn't the whole story.

Yeah, its just tedious sometimes. I mean sometimes you just don't want to listen to Bartok.
Everyone also forgets that he wrote that shit in the early 1900's. The concept of what was horrifying back then was far different than it is now.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
I had an idea for an H.P. Lovecraft TV show sort of like tales from the crypt/Darkside or Twilight show view.

He has tons of short stories that would fit into a 30-60 minute show.

LiquidDeath

I had an idea for an H.P. Lovecraft TV show sort of like tales from the crypt/Darkside or Twilight show view.

He has tons of short stories that would fit into a 30-60 minute show.
You know what would be fucking awesome? A NCIS type show but set in the Cthulhuverse. They could even use characters from Arkham Asylum. I'd watch that shit religiously.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Dude, I would watch that.

I wonder why people haven't tried to adapt his works in different ways like that. I don't believe it is copyrighted anymore so there is nothing stopping them.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Plenty of networks I would like to see do something like that. FX, AMC, HBO, Netflix, hell even Showtime. I've never watched any of the Cinemax shows but some people I work with had good stuff to say about Strikeback or whatever it was.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fuck NCIS, make it like Tales from the Darkside, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, different actors just episodes on the short stories. Expand it if it does well and you run out of original stuff, there's plenty of third party fiction in the mythos over the years too.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You know what would be fucking awesome? A NCIS type show but set in the Cthulhuverse. They could even use characters from Arkham Asylum. I'd watch that shit religiously.
Are you talking like Sister Mary, Kate Winthrop, the characters from the Fantasy Flight Cthulhu games? Holy shit, that would have the potential to reach dangerous levels of awesomeness.