Atomic Heart

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Very entertaining game thus far. Good pacing and if you liked Bioshock at all, this game is made for you. Aiming is somewhat janky on console, but you can tweak the controls considerably and even crank up the aim assist. Visually, its fucking incredible both in design and execution. Music is top notch, too, as someone pointed out. Combat does not really open up until you start getting more super powers later on, but its very much in the vein of Bioshock Infinite. Story is actually pretty engaging so far and the main character being a total Soviet Murder Hobo for the state is awesome.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Game would be much better if they made it half as long and twice as good. It gets repetitive, when they could have just made it shorter and better.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Apparently Ukraine is asking Microsoft, Sony, and Valve to take the game down because it has ties to Russian oil.

• 3Worf
  • 2Tiresome
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 5 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
SovietShock is pretty good. The intro is very atmospheric but then the first chunk of actual gameplay is a bit clunky until you get a bit into the facility. After that intro things settle into a very Bioshock-y situation. Its missing that extra layer of polish that Irrational gave to their games which elevated the art direction and gameplay up that extra notch, but seeing as we are a decade removed from Bioshock Infinite I'm just glad to have something similar to explore.

(Art wise the main issue is that the textures are not great and the lighting is horrific. I think a decent modder could come in with some color correction and a volumetric lighting pass and make it look AAA quality with minimal effort)

• 1Like

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Apparently Ukraine is asking Microsoft, Sony, and Valve to take the game down because it has ties to Russian oil.
So dumb. What about Owlcat and Pathfinder? I've heard zero about taking their games down. (i'm against it)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
So dumb. What about Owlcat and Pathfinder? I've heard zero about taking their games down. (i'm against it)

Nothing like taking entire industries captive unless they bend to your will whilst claiming those that just want to live life are Nazis. I hate this timeline.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Owlcat was a Russian studio started up to make the Pathfinder games as a subsidiary of some megatech Russian company. They left Pathfinder because the rights to the IP remained with that parent company when they split off to become a totally independent studio. Like a fuckton other Russian software companies they had nearly as many Ukrainian developers as they did Russian developers and so relocated their actual offices to Cyprus once the war broke out.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Hmm? I think I missed something

In the English dub, the main character constantly uses “crispy critters” as some kind of surprised slang. Some poorly localized version of “holy shit” or similar maybe? Was curious if there’s some specific phrase in Russian it’s derived from.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
In the English dub, the main character constantly uses “crispy critters” as some kind of surprised slang. Some poorly localized version of “holy shit” or similar maybe? Was curious if there’s some specific phrase in Russian it’s derived from.

Hmm, kinda nonsensical to be honest. Is there an audio version where say the "crispy critters" part in Russian?

Might be some weird idiom I haven't heard before

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Owlcat was a Russian studio started up to make the Pathfinder games as a subsidiary of some megatech Russian company. They left Pathfinder because the rights to the IP remained with that parent company when they split off to become a totally independent studio. Like a fuckton other Russian software companies they had nearly as many Ukrainian developers as they did Russian developers and so relocated their actual offices to Cyprus once the war broke out.
I saw some video about the streets of Istanbul being full of Russian and Ukrainian developers trying to withdraw as much cash as possible from ATMs as the war broke out.

spronk

FPS noob
i was wondering the crispy thing too

got further in, game is still janky as fuck but once you unlock some powers (ice esp) and upgrade the shotgun its quite a bit easier. having fun, story is cool but its hilarious how unpolished the game feels sometimes

i'm actually playing on PC because load times are crazy faster than compared to series X, its the first time in a few years now i've noticed really the difference between pc/console. Nice thing is its cross save (gamepass version) so I can jump back and forth seamlessly.

still, i can see the game starting to lose its charm and i'll probably just rush the campaign and finish at some point

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I don't know why they didn't give the main character a Russian or European accent. If they were going to make him an American why not alter the story for the US localization to have him be an American who somehow ends up in Russia for this event?

The protagonist is definitely the weak part of the game.

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It really does sound like the VA is doing an awful Duke Nukem impersonation, which seems completely out of place with the rest of the game.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users