Audiobooks

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I typically sign up when they have the deals for like 3 months for $5 per month type of thing and then cancel. Usually a month or two after that another deal pops up that I can do. Used to be that they would throw money at you if you tried to cancel (like $10-$20) and you could spend it and then cancel anyways, but haven’t seen that in a long time
Good example, right now you can get a year of audible for $100, which is about $8.33 per credit. Not sure I want to do it, but there’s always deals

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I've been listening to Galaxy's Edge series, it's narrated by RC Bray.

It's like Star Wars meets BSG meets Lord of the Rings. It's decent enough listening, I can't fall asleep listening to it because it's compelling enough. Solid listen, might just be because RC Bray and lack of good scifi.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Just finished VAlkyrie, book 9 of Expetionary Force series by Craig Alanson, narrated by RC Bray.

Hoooooollllllly shit the ending. There was a few meh books in the middle of the series but it's gotten pretty good again. RC Bray is amazing. There is a blooper cut at the end that's pretty hilarious.

Super cliffhanger ending though.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
So this looks pretty good.

1594833967073.png

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I've been on the fence, it's my favorite comic along with all the other little punk/goth/whatever shithead middle school kids alive in the 90s, I'd hate for it to suck. But I have unused credits so meh why not

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
1595446576073.png

It is so hard to put out an amazing audiobook-- especially one in which the original text in not English.

This one is amazing. Narration is beautiful. As is the story. It's not too long either. It's a near-perfect audiobook.

PS- YES; the audiobook IS in English (it's the English translation-- it's great).

Last edited:

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So this looks pretty good.

View attachment 285584

So, this is very very good. You should for sure get it. I'm just wrapping up the first story arc and I am taking a break, listening to Lovecraft Country which is amazing as well. But this is great, like a radio play or something, very good effects and voice acting.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
1596884844088.png

Jim Butcher is riding his well-deserved wave. James Marsters once again gives a wonderful narration. Problem is that the story is, well, incomplete. But there is tons of fan-service, with just about all of the Dresden characters making an appearance. It's good, but not great. But I am so into the Dresden world at this point (as you should be if you're reading the 16th novel and don't forget all those short stories too!) that it's all good. Liked it.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Critical Mass is out, book 10 in expeditionary force by Craig Alanson
Enjoyable, moved the story along nicely. Next book in December according to his schedule. I hope that one delves more into stuff hinted at in previous books about threats outside the galaxy or whatever

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Enjoyable, moved the story along nicely. Next book in December according to his schedule. I hope that one delves more into stuff hinted at in previous books about threats outside the galaxy or whatever

Not 100% sure that I enjoyed Valkyrie. Felt like nothing happened the 1st half of the book and the 2nd half with the rescue plot was just forced and uninteresting.

Granted the normal plots of these aren't crazy but the background stuff and general world building carry enough to make them enjoyable. R.C. Bray makes listening fun. Most of it is recylced, plan, problem, plan, problem. The setup of the rescue and motivation just felt off.

Out of credits on Audible to pick up Critical Mass. Would like to have it done before Brushfire comes out here in a week and a half or so. Wonder if there is a "temporary" place to locate it while my credits refresh and I can purchase.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Not 100% sure that I enjoyed Valkyrie. Felt like nothing happened the 1st half of the book and the 2nd half with the rescue plot was just forced and uninteresting.

Granted the normal plots of these aren't crazy but the background stuff and general world building carry enough to make them enjoyable. R.C. Bray makes listening fun. Most of it is recylced, plan, problem, plan, problem. The setup of the rescue and motivation just felt off.

Out of credits on Audible to pick up Critical Mass. Would like to have it done before Brushfire comes out here in a week and a half or so. Wonder if there is a "temporary" place to locate it while my credits refresh and I can purchase.
I felt the 2 books prior has been weaker, I was happy with the most recent though

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I felt the 2 books prior has been weaker, I was happy with the most recent though

Finished Brushfire today and enjoyed it much more. Seemed like it was more back on track. Quite a bit was still focused on setting up the new landscape but stuff actually happened. Does seem like things are set up to take a big turn and re-level set. Was fun having 3 books to go through, but sucks now having to wait until next year for the release + audiobook time.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Finished Brushfire today and enjoyed it much more. Seemed like it was more back on track. Quite a bit was still focused on setting up the new landscape but stuff actually happened. Does seem like things are set up to take a big turn and re-level set. Was fun having 3 books to go through, but sucks now having to wait until next year for the release + audiobook time.
He's pretty quick at writing, a few books a year at least. I haven't looked to see if there is a new timeline.

He definitely writes with RC Bray narrating in mind and slides some funny line on their for him

"I finished reading a book. YES it was an audio book. Yes that still counts as reading"

Gives me a good chuckle

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
EF12: Breakaway – June 2021

EF13 – December 2021

EF14 – June 2022

EF15 – December 2022 – last ExForce

• 1Like

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Here's an excellent audio book about white slavery in the American colonies. It provides some interesting details about various practices, expeditions and the figures behind transportation in Britain. One is that at the time of the signing of the Declaration of Independence 1 in 100 people in the colonies was a descendant of white slaves and 1,000 more were still being imported into Maryland and Virginia each year. Also interesting was that the Lord High Justice of England was a former bandit who leveraged his loot into a legal career and was promoted to high office by Queen Elizabeth.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wrapped up the audible of Pressfield’s Gates of Fire. Read it over 20 years ago but the audiobook is fantastic too. Still one of my favorites of all time.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Finished Breakaway, book 12 of Expeditionary Force. It felt a lot more like a setup book for the last 3 books. So while it was slower, and less action stuff happening, it felt like a good enjoyable book and a break from the way things have been.

I'm also pretty convinced that he writes some things that are purely directed at the fact RC Bray is narrating his books, and entirely in their just for him. Makes me chuckle

• 1Like

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Been listening to Galaxy’s Edge narrated by RC Bray. Got to “Season 2” and the 6th book of the series and these mother fuckers replaced Bray. You can’t do that shit midstream man wtf.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Here's an excellent audio book about white slavery in the American colonies. It provides some interesting details about various practices, expeditions and the figures behind transportation in Britain. One is that at the time of the signing of the Declaration of Independence 1 in 100 people in the colonies was a descendant of white slaves and 1,000 more were still being imported into Maryland and Virginia each year. Also interesting was that the Lord High Justice of England was a former bandit who leveraged his loot into a legal career and was promoted to high office by Queen Elizabeth.
Since I can't edit the old one here's a new link. It takes a couple of minutes to load but it plays.
White Cargo The Forgotten History Of Britain's White Slaves In America