Autonomous Systems

Would you ever own an autonomous vehicle?

• Hell yeah Bring on our robotic overlords!

• Fuck you! I'll keep my Indepenence

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I actually passed the first autonomous vehicle I’ve seen on the road yesterday. It was a weird looking van with multiple domes on it. The dude driving it was kicked back in the seat with his hands behind his head with a big grin on his face. Looked like someone watching NFL in their lazy boy.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Just as an FYI: The behavior of their safety driver is exactly what everyone is going to do. Once most people, even roboticists, see autonomous systems work well, they trust them far beyond what they should.

There are in-cabin systems that will monitor your gaze and whine if they see you're just playing candy crush, but those systems will be highly undesirable by consumers.

You could argue that a professional safety driver should resist that temptation, and you'd be right, but I'm guessing they weren't paying that person enough to be more than a warm body to take over when the vehicle told xer to.
that right there negates any argument for an autonomously driven car. why pay for a car that drives itself if you have to watch the road and be prepared to drive it to prevent it from crashing into something?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
that right there negates any argument for an autonomously driven car. why pay for a car that drives itself if you have to watch the road and be prepared to drive it to prevent it from crashing into something?
Exactly. Personally I find it less stressful to drive myself than to standby and be ready to take the wheel at anytime while an untrusted system drives.

• 1Like

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Uber Disabled Volvo SUV's Safety System Before Fatality

Uber Technologies Inc. disabled the standard collision-avoidance technology in the Volvo SUV that struck and killed a woman in Arizona last week, according to the auto-parts maker that supplied the vehicle’s radar and camera.

“We don’t want people to be confused or think it was a failure of the technology that we supply for Volvo, because that’s not the case,” Zach Peterson, a spokesman for Aptiv Plc, said by phone. The Volvo XC90’s standard advanced driver-assistance system “has nothing to do” with the Uber test vehicle’s autonomous driving system, he said.

So the stock Volvo safety system was redundant, right? Uber couldn't possibly be stupid enough to disable the only anti-pedestrian collision detection system, could they?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Uber couldn't possibly be stupid enough to disable the only anti-pedestrian collision detection system, could they?
It's Uber. "This might interfere with our systems, so we'll disable it; it's cheaper than trying to integrate it".

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This is a dumb story. Of course if they were using their own autonomous system, they would have to disable the Volvo one that's already there. The problem is that their system didn't work.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Oh Uber....
I think some of this stuff could be compression artifacts, but the black blobs and lack of gradient is basically what I was talking about when I said this video footage looked like it had a filter put on it to make it look more challenging than it really was.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Uber Disabled Volvo SUV's Safety System Before Fatality

So the stock Volvo safety system was redundant, right? Uber couldn't possibly be stupid enough to disable the only anti-pedestrian collision detection system, could they?
I don't know the specifics, but my guess is they bought Volvo's sensor suite, disabled the onboard processing, and used the raw data in their system. This is totally the correct way to do it, but I can imagine this conversation happening at Volvo:
CTO: So someone just asked me if our radar is blind when it's dark out.
Engineer: lol
CTO: Seriously, we would have avoided killing that homeless druggie right?
Engineer: Sir, we would have seen that bicycle before she even stole it.

• 1Worf

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is a dumb story. Of course if they were using their own autonomous system, they would have to disable the Volvo one that's already there. The problem is that their system didn't work.

You're right that this is a dumb story. The tech to make the vehicle hit the brakes instead of the hobo is old news and there's not likely to be a good reason why it didn't work this time.

AfaIk Uber hasn't came up with any kind of explanation yet, and that's probably because someone did something incredibly wrong and stupid. We just don't know exactly who fucked up and how yet.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So Uber's license for testing in AZ has been revoked, and they're letting their CA license expire now. Kalanick wanted to win the race, and now he's out.

Uber stock isn't being traded? I wonder what the stock price would look like now.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Their license is suspended, not revoked.

I don't know what either one means legally, but my guess is that Uber isn't really out as much as a politician reacted to avoid getting any hobo blood on him.

Uber probably has a lot of work to do before driving live again whether they have a license or not, but I'm sure they'll be able to get a license back when they want to.

Last edited:

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Uber probably has a lot of work to do before driving live again whether they have a license or not, but I'm sure they'll be able to get a license back when they want to.
It's Über. They'll probably resume, then install an app to avoid driving anywhere where an official might spot them.

• 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It's Über. They'll probably resume, then install an app to avoid driving anywhere where an official might spot them.

How about an app to avoid areas with homeless congesting the roads?

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
The one that had the Apple engineer behind the wheel that didn't take control of the vehicle when he was told to? The one who allegedly complained repeatedly about his auto pilot not working right and still used it anyway?

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I didn't know it was an Apple engineer. That would explain why he didn't take control in the six seconds he had before the crash.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
RIP. Besides the operator ignoring the autopilot warnings, I wonder what caused the autopilot failure in the first place.