Autonomous Systems

Would you ever own an autonomous vehicle?

• Hell yeah Bring on our robotic overlords!

• Fuck you! I'll keep my Indepenence

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Here’s how Uber’s self-driving cars are supposed to detect pedestrians

uber-atg-volvo.jpg

iccv5.jpg

There's zero excuse for them to have hit her. She should've lit up like a fucking Christmas tree.

Uber is lucky that they hit a homeless person at night instead of a kid in broad daylight.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's how a 50 cent disposable camera works. I don't know what hardware the uber cars have, but the perception rigs on autonomous vehicles should've absolutely caught that women.

It's uber. Odds are they used that 50 cent camera.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Unreasonable set of assumptions:
1. Their camera system sucks
2. Their sensor fusion system trusts their cameras way too much, so when the radar / lidar was screaming "HOLY FUCK BOYS THERE IS AN OBSTACLE COMING" the camera was saying, "Nah fam, we good."

Other option: The system encountered a catastrophic, "lol I'm not even on" kind of failure. The system didn't even begin to stop at any point before collision.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
We're filmmakers working on an AI doc that features developments in the self-driving car industry. Ask us anything! • r/science
@khorum
Realistically with what you have learned whilst making your documentary, how long before we see self driving cars out number regular cars? How much of what we see on the news is just hyperbole?
There is in fact a lot of hype right now. Looking at various PR videos from different companies would make you think self-driving cars are going to be here any day now. What we found in our research is nothing could be further from the truth. The reality is that all autonomous vehicles right now are extremely limited -- when you see videos of them without any safety driver it's actually on a test track or operating only in a meticulously mapped small area so engineers can keep a tight leash on them. Ultimately it's our belief we won't be seeing self-driving cars out number regular cars for many many years.

worf.png

worf.png
worf.png
worf.png

• 1Salty

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You take it for a spin?

No. We have this faggy high school style auditorium they make us sit in complete with uncomfortable bleacher seats. So I sat near the back and fucked off the moment I had an opportunity. It did drive itself out of the place though.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What's funny about the VLP-16 lidar they have mounted on there is when Velodyne announced the price (8k, now 4k) one of my first thoughts was, "OK, so now we can just sprinkle cars with them for less than one HDL64E". The Cruise car with 5 of them is just that, lol.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
well, even a mentally deranged person like that would make no difference if the car has shit tier tracking for pedestrians

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
The only thing that shocks me about this story is that it wasn't a black person jaywalking. TBH I consider this event the beginning of the process of machine evolution, rather than some sort of problem.

• 1Worf

Caliane

Unreasonable set of assumptions:
1. Their camera system sucks
2. Their sensor fusion system trusts their cameras way too much, so when the radar / lidar was screaming "HOLY FUCK BOYS THERE IS AN OBSTACLE COMING" the camera was saying, "Nah fam, we good."

Other option: The system encountered a catastrophic, "lol I'm not even on" kind of failure. The system didn't even begin to stop at any point before collision.
Option 4.
She invented a new form of stealth technology. We should be strapping old lady with bicycles to our jets, and tanks.

• 1Worf

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
If the driver had the same view as the camera there's nothing a human driver could've done to avoid that collision. Except maybe swerve EXTREMELY quickly, with reaction times better than what you'd expect, and performing a maneuver that no driving school would say is safe.

That said, an AUTONOMOUS driver should've absolutely avoided that collision.

Uber's radar should've picked up the metallic bike, and their lidar should've gotten really good readings on the person. Them being out of cone of light from the headlights is zero excuse because radar / lidar gives zero shits about headlights.
You prett much described the 'Lane change' maneuver taught at the BMW driving school BMW Performance Driving Schools - bmw courses (has a good top down video). I think it is what would have been needed in this case to completely avoid an accident. The idea is there is no time to break and you need to get into the other lane ASAP. You are able to dodge an obstacle at ~15 feet away when going ~40MPH. The more advanced version they teach has you switch lanes w/o breaking, pass the obstacle then immediately switch back to the original lane and only then start to apply breaks. It's a pretty intense maneuver and a lot of fun but not something I'd expect your average driver to have in their skillset. Then having the instinct to pull that off when needed is another thing. When you are just babysitting the car that instinct is probably toned down even more.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You prett much described the 'Lane change' maneuver taught at the BMW driving school BMW Performance Driving Schools - bmw courses (has a good top down video). I think it is what would have been needed in this case to completely avoid an accident. The idea is there is no time to break and you need to get into the other lane ASAP. You are able to dodge an obstacle at ~15 feet away when going ~40MPH. The more advanced version they teach has you switch lanes w/o breaking, pass the obstacle then immediately switch back to the original lane and only then start to apply breaks. It's a pretty intense maneuver and a lot of fun but not something I'd expect your average driver to have in their skillset. Then having the instinct to pull that off when needed is another thing. When you are just babysitting the car that instinct is probably toned down even more.
I avoided death once with this maneuver.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Yeah... I no longer think this was unavoidable like the released dash cam makes it look like. That road looks very well lit. She would have been able to see the bike at about the 26 second mark in that video. The impact occurred at around the point the driver was at the 34 second mark. I count the driver looking down away from the road for about 7 seconds before the accident. The Uber system probably failed because of their bad camera and intentional turning off LIDAR for a test of camera/radar setup.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just as an FYI: The behavior of their safety driver is exactly what everyone is going to do. Once most people, even roboticists, see autonomous systems work well, they trust them far beyond what they should.

There are in-cabin systems that will monitor your gaze and whine if they see you're just playing candy crush, but those systems will be highly undesirable by consumers.

You could argue that a professional safety driver should resist that temptation, and you'd be right, but I'm guessing they weren't paying that person enough to be more than a warm body to take over when the vehicle told xer to.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's quite a few drivers today on human driven cars that behave almost like the "safety" driver anyways.

• 1Solidarity