Autonomous Systems

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Would you ever own an autonomous vehicle?

• Hell yeah Bring on our robotic overlords!

• Fuck you! I'll keep my Indepenence

Results are only viewable after voting.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I never thought about it before but drone trucks being driven by a remote human would actually be a big improvement over having drivers in the trucks. Instead of being an over the road trucker, you could go to an office and sit at a desk for 8 hours a day. The truck could run 24/7 with drivers swapping out 3 times a day and everybody gets to sleep in their own bed at night. The biggest issue would be latency but assuming something like Starlink could provide sub 30ms ping and stay connected anywhere, it seems like it would probably be safer than the current situation where truckers are driving long hours and not sleeping well. In agriculture the laws requiring minimum hours of sleep are a big problem when you have live animals on the truck and the driver runs out of hours to drive and has to stop for 8 hours with no food or water for the animals. Right now most livestock truckers just break the law and hope for the best or use two drivers but that makes it far more expensive. With drone trucks you could swap drivers and let the first one go home instead of being stuck in the truck for the duration.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Tuco I know it's dubiously autonomous but I have been taking more car trips in my Model 3 since the lockdown for in-state work trips. Autopilot is completely game changing for long boring drives like this. I can count the number of takeovers on a 400 mile drive on one hand. Once you get used to where it doesn't do great (construction zones), its freaking awesome. In addition, you don't arrive tired after a 5-6 hour drive like you would if you were driving yourself. It's very handy.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Tuco I know it's dubiously autonomous but I have been taking more car trips in my Model 3 since the lockdown for in-state work trips. Autopilot is completely game changing for long boring drives like this. I can count the number of takeovers on a 400 mile drive on one hand. Once you get used to where it doesn't do great (construction zones), its freaking awesome. In addition, you don't arrive tired after a 5-6 hour drive like you would if you were driving yourself. It's very handy.
lane keeping + adaptive cruise control is huge for the reasons you stated, and the best part is that it's not hard in 2020 to build one that is safer than a human driver in that domain (this is also an insult to humans). Tesla has had it for a while and most OEMs either have it or are close to having it. Shit you can get an open source(ish) version in OpenPilot.

In a few years I don't see the point in any luxury vehicle line not having it as a standard option and soon after that it'll be ubiquitous in anything but economy cars.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Tuco, opinion on luminar?
luminar is one of a handful of lidar companies looking to build a golden-egg laying goose that can generate very dense returns from a cheap lidar. It's a really difficult problem but one of them is going to succeed and hopefully they do it soon.

I don't have any special insight on whether luminar is going to beat anyone else to it. More so than other domains the lidar field is very hush hush because everyone is racing to the same thing and the first group that can make a sub $1k lidar that shits out a dense scan over a long lifetime is going to make billions.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
This sounds like a horrible idea for humanity.

• The Air Force is soliciting the aerospace industry to provide flyable “Skyborg” drones by 2023.
  • The drones will be powered by artificial intelligence, capable of taking off, landing, and performing missions on their own.
  • Skyborg will not only free manned pilots from dangerous and dull missions but allow the Air Force to add legions of new, unpiloted, cheap planes.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
This sounds like a horrible idea for humanity.

Hell ya Skynet just what we always wanted. I just wanna know will I get my top of the line AI fuckbots before or after we reach some terminator/matrix/underworld/I-robot shit? Or will I get to enjoy some jetsons/blade runner/ghost in the shell shit first?

• 1Solidarity

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

can't even blame the lack of lidar on this one. Radar should have been SCREAMING during this entire drive in.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
3Zf0X4M.gif

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
What people are afraid self-driving cars will do:

Could see them very nice to use in a very urban area. Rural areas have too many places that the roads, the rules change day by day lol. Not to mention most large events have a giant field of a parking lot and the hells angels direct the parking. I could see trucking it being useful to go from region to region in the states, but that last bit is going to have to be a human I would think. Too many places if you go by when they are unloading half the truck is out in the road one week and the next week it's in the back etc...One day but would take a shitload of programming. I normally had to go out and direct the driver deliverying the steel so I could coordinate it with what was coming next from someone else and how it would fit into the flow of the shop to unload it.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Could see them very nice to use in a very urban area. Rural areas have too many places that the roads, the rules change day by day lol. Not to mention most large events have a giant field of a parking lot and the hells angels direct the parking. I could see trucking it being useful to go from region to region in the states, but that last bit is going to have to be a human I would think. Too many places if you go by when they are unloading half the truck is out in the road one week and the next week it's in the back etc...One day but would take a shitload of programming. I normally had to go out and direct the driver deliverying the steel so I could coordinate it with what was coming next from someone else and how it would fit into the flow of the shop to unload it.

ah fucking twitter, it was a video so I couldn't just screencap it, but it was basically this guy driving over and over (deliberately) into a burger restaurant

1608568931823.png

backed out, back in.

let's share it again only to have it as a dead link for whatever reason in a month or so

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Punishment for a wrong order? I mean you read stories of some goofball calling 911 cause they forgot the extra pickles.

DWI's are different now. When I was in middle school/high school drinking age was still 18 here and driving age 15. Guy that owned a road construction business that did all the bridge construction and stuff for the state got his 12th DWI. They don't allow that anymore as you'll end up in prison pretty quickly unlike it used to be. Could see them being pretty handy for those folks. The joke around town was as well off as he was why didn't he pay his secretary or whoever to drive his drunk ass around all the time. Plus the blood alcohol level needed to get a DWI was a lot higher then that it is now.