Autonomous Systems

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Would you ever own an autonomous vehicle?

• Hell yeah Bring on our robotic overlords!

• Fuck you! I'll keep my Indepenence

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

"It's called a self driving car, not a self waiting car"

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

These seem to be becoming self aware and choosing to self immolate for some reason. The one in the vid had a fire a few weeks ago and another burned down completely in 2019 at a cost of over 100 million pounds.

1628842598226.png

• 2Double Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
These seem to be becoming self aware and choosing to self immolate for some reason. The one in the vid had a fire a few weeks ago and another burned down completely in 2019 at a cost of over 100 million pounds.

View attachment 366704

1630004220411.png

I'm working on a brownfield integration of similar automated material delivery for our manufacturing plant and there are a lot of pieces of tech that you have to figure out to make it all work together. It's cool to see it working, but damn that would be depressing for it all to burn down. I could imagine if you did have a fire start, with all of the groceries so densely packed, that could get out of hand in a hurry.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The astonishing thing about those robots is how low the tolerance is between them. I bet there is some driver for that besides efficiency / space but man you could decrease the number of grid cells by 1% and double the tolerance between the robot rails. Finding out they collide and blow up is no surprise when one wobble could cause it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, that's creepy. I don't want a robot teaching things to my kids.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The astonishing thing about those robots is how low the tolerance is between them. I bet there is some driver for that besides efficiency / space but man you could decrease the number of grid cells by 1% and double the tolerance between the robot rails. Finding out they collide and blow up is no surprise when one wobble could cause it.

Presumably there is some sort of software solution against wobbles (ie don't cross a cell directly in front of a robot that's stopping).

The one thing that sort of strikes me as odd is that every unit has a battery in it, presumably of some modern tech (and hence extremely flammable when damaged). The design seems extremely suitable for externally supplied power where the rails are one conductor and a grid above is the other (think bumper cars). The savings on battery costs and charging downtime could be substantial.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

I climbed higher on the spectrum watching that vid. If i was gifted one it'd get trashed in an autistic rage.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Bitch I had 5 of those things in 1999 and they drove my parents crazy. We called ‘em furbies.

Cybsled

Ya, seems like an advanced Furbie mixed with an Amazon Echo.

I think the biggest problem with these products is the user expectations never match performance. They’re getting better, but people are expecting the computer from Star Trek

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Until I can get a Cherry 2000, I'm not gonna be happy. I guarantee they will invent one the day after I die. And the next day they'll figure out immortality and eternal youth.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The next robot will be called Foxie, teaches your kid to pimp and shoptlift.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Ya, seems like an advanced Furbie mixed with an Amazon Echo.

I think the biggest problem with these products is the user expectations never match performance. They’re getting better, but people are expecting the computer from Star Trek
Yeah you need a deep contextualized understanding of the user plus strong understanding of facial clues. All of which is process intensive but not too distant in the future. Google and amazon already know me pretty well just to give me better ads, adding a few more layers to give me emotional support or fetch quests or whatever the target demo wants isn't a stretch.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Rando thought: i wonder if steam, twitch, xbox live etc are looking into synthetic stream followers that watch you game and talk shit to you. I could use a bonzi buddy to watch me box EverQuest.

• 1Mother of God

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Rando thought: i wonder if steam, twitch, xbox live etc are looking into synthetic stream followers that watch you game and talk shit to you. I could use a bonzi buddy to watch me box EverQuest.
I’ll watch you tuco.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I've been listening to a lot of Lex Fridman podcasts the last few months. Tons of top notch guests and some fantastic discussions. Two recent and relevant here:

• 1Like