BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

first reaction is just to make fun of avatar, "she was so bored she started crying" but then again James Cameron did Terminator, Aliens, T2, True Lies, and of course who can forget Titanic - literally EVERYONE said it was gonna bomb hard and be the biggest box office disaster in history, and it went on to make the most money ever until Avatar and then Avengers End Game.

So yeah, can't count him out, but i just can't imagine anyone gives a single fuck about avatar anymore. Hope its good though and does well, need more mega autistic sperglord movie directors who just wanna do their own shit

I had an English teacher in college that taught a film class and he was so sure that Titanic was going to be the biggest flop in history and went on and on about it. Wasn't the only thing that made him seem stupid.

Despite my love for T2 and Aliens, I can't generate the slightest desire to see Avatar 2. The first one aside from the novelty of 3D at the time was boring and predictable.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Regardless of if you're into it or not, this will still be a first screening watch for me. I really hope they do it in 3D again. My local theaters stopped all 3D movies last year. It makes things like Spider-Man good, but not "as" good. The 3D was awesome in Far From Home. I'm forced to wait until Japan releases the 3D blu-ray for No Way Home to see it in true perfection.

Not surprisingly, the 3D blu-rays made Black Widow, Shang Chi and Eternals better than 2D in theater. But then again, being able to stop it to take a leak helps. Plus, I only saw No Way Home in theaters opening day. 3pm on Thursday was the first giant screen showing. And the theater had a problem about half way into the film because someone called in a bomb threat. After 20 minutes, the ushers came back into the theater to say it there was a phony bomb threat that caused the movie to stop, and it would resume the movie "shortly", which was actually another 20 minutes. So it was an unexpected 40 minute intermission that we had no idea was going to end after 40 minutes. This was right during the Peter & Goblin fight while May was running away in the building.

Last edited:

Cybsled

Say what you want about the story because yes its been done a million times, but to this day Avatar is the best 3D/immersive experience I have ever had in a movie theatre.

I would agree fully on this point - most of the fun in seeing Avatar in the theaters in 3D is just how damned well they pulled it off. Like scenes where the humans are inside their flying machines and you could see the curvature of the bubble windows from the inside as they flew, it created this very "real" effect. The movie really pushed the whole depth of the environment into ever shot and you felt really immersed. Considering Cameron filmed it 100% with 3D in mind and used actual 3D filmmaking techniques is why it was so good.

3D post-Avatar was mostly ruined by studios doing cheap ass post-production 3D effects of middling impact, or just focusing on stupid "gotcha!" gimmick moments in just a handful of scenes, like they used to do decades ago (like Jaws 3D and its gimmicky shots back in the 80s).

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Nothing has even come close to Avatars 3D it feels like. While stuff like Coraline ect look good in 3D, Avatar is just on a whole different level of special effects/3D. The theatre I was in had shit projectors and some how the 3D was incredible from the way Cameron made it

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
For as "good" and popular as Avatar was, has anyone here watched it in the last 5-10 years? I've watched Moneyball 2-3 times a year, The Big Short yearly, Endgame almost monthly, I've even tried (and failed) to rewatch the LOTR trilogy... But the idea of putting Avatar on just feels so tedious. I'm pretty sure I haven't fully watched Avatar in a decade, or had the desire to, and when it came out I loved it.

• 2Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I think part of the issue is that Avatar is a film that was so closely associated with the amazing 3D. Post converted movies for 3D and even animated flicks that get a 3D rendering are no where near as cool as the original film....and so people have soured on 3D in general as a result.

I personally had no interest in watching Avatar without the immersive 3D and that has meant I've never seen it since that original screening an eon ago. Disney is doubling down on the property after the whole Avatar land in Animal Kingdom and now this new trilogy.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Juvarisx

Florida
For as "good" and popular as Avatar was, has anyone here watched it in the last 5-10 years? I've watched Moneyball 2-3 times a year, The Big Short yearly, Endgame almost monthly, I've even tried (and failed) to rewatch the LOTR trilogy... But the idea of putting Avatar on just feels so tedious. I'm pretty sure I haven't fully watched Avatar in a decade, or had the desire to, and when it came out I loved it.

I watched it a month ago, its fine, not great. The CGI has held up really well for a 13 year old film tho, its really impressive comparing it to other movies from the era it was just so far ahead.

• 1Solidarity

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I think part of the issue is that Avatar is a film that was so closely associated with the amazing 3D. Post converted movies for 3D and even animated flicks that get a 3D rendering are no where near as cool as the original film....and so people have soured on 3D in general as a result.

I personally had no interest in watching Avatar without the immersive 3D and that has meant I've never seen it since that original screening an eon ago. Disney is doubling down on the property after the whole Avatar land in Animal Kingdom and now this new trilogy.

That’s an interesting observation, I never saw Avatar in 3D because I can’t stand 3D, it always gives me headaches. So for me Avatar was never about the 3D and I’ve enjoyed and rewatched it quite a few times since it’s release maybe because my enjoyment of it isn’t tied to 3D in any ways it makes it easier for me to still enjoy it.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
isn't 3D, even in theaters, still gimping rez/colors? iirc all 3d formats essentially required you to halve the resolution so a 4k movie is really 2k and you have to fuck around with the colors to make it look right. Wonder if it would even work well (at all?) with HDR.

From like 2 years ago articles say Cameron plans on Avatar 2 to be filmed in a special way that outputs in glasses free 3D, if its true thats kinda interesting... i guess?

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I saw it for the 3D at the time and I rarely rewatched it after it was out of theaters. I am a fan of James Cameron and I'll be watching the new films opening day for sure.

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
From like 2 years ago articles say Cameron plans on Avatar 2 to be filmed in a special way that outputs in glasses free 3D, if its true thats kinda interesting... i guess?
I predict incoming nightmare for me. interesting technology if true, but we cyclops's can't really 'see' 3d in 3d movies. VR headsets. old blue/red 3d. or real life parking of cars and such.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This movie designed for VR headset use would be incredible if it were to the same level as the 3D was for the original Avatar.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i saw it in 3D when it came out, it gave me a terrible headache, it made me puke later that night. i watched it again when it came out on video. hope i never see it again.
it wasnt just me

• 1Garbage
  • 1Like

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I've only saw twice. Back in the theater and a couple years ago on cable.
But I don't have the urge to see it again, through Netflix or argh matey.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I saw it opening weekend at an AMC LieMAX, then later in Cinemark XD which is how i learned about LieMAX because XD was far better.

I've only seen Avatar pop up on cable channels with commercials which turns it into a 4+ hour block. Nobody has time for that.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Nothing has even come close to Avatars 3D it feels like. While stuff like Coraline ect look good in 3D, Avatar is just on a whole different level of special effects/3D. The theatre I was in had shit projectors and some how the 3D was incredible from the way Cameron made it
I believe Cameron used the same 3D technology when he made the cave SCUBA movie, Sanctum.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I predict incoming nightmare for me. interesting technology if true, but we cyclops's can't really 'see' 3d in 3d movies. VR headsets. old blue/red 3d. or real life parking of cars and such.

Cyclops? You clearly have eight eyes, you should be seeing this in 11D.