Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Avatar made its money off the visuals and tech, it was a decade ahead of its time. Now it's over a decade later and we (can) see that level of CGI in other movies so that alone is not going to put people in seats. Narrative-wise the original script from the 90s was less derivative than the movie, so it could have been more entertaining than what they put on screen. But unless his writing chops have exceeded early GoT no one is going to see sequels for story.

The CGI wasn't what made Avatar. It was the use of 3D IMO.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>

Sterling

El Presidente
The story was unbelievebly dumb considering the Director, budget and hype involved.
I mean sure, there's been 6000 noble savage/white savior movies. I just think it's weird that dances with wolves being the 5962nd one is fine, but this one was 1 too far.

Caliane

The setting was great. The plotline was retarded, and childish.

Disney/cameron can promote. They probably should have done more to keep the brand alive. it WAS HUGE back then... but yeah. has lost a TON of power, from nothing keeping it alive.. and how sadly superficial the plot was.
(I'll admit I had actually thought it came out before Lord of the rings and harry potter..)
I'd say Avatar's initial success was the cgi/3d tech, combined with the popcorn flick bombastic visuals, and intentionally superficially endearing characters. big cat eye people intentionally made to look like babies to pull the heart string. Cameron literally saying, sad pouting cats on purpose.
Half the marvel movies have that same design theory. they fall apart on rewatch, or when you start thinking about logic, characters, motivations, plot, etc. But they are fun that first time you watch them, so get butts into the seats.

I'm not really sure how the story continues on Pandora itself in interesting way.
Is Avatar intended to pull from Dune? is Pandora Arrakis?

• 1Solidarity

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I mean sure, there's been 6000 noble savage/white savior movies. I just think it's weird that dances with wolves being the 5962nd one is fine, but this one was 1 too far.
The problem wasnt it that it was a retelling, the problem was that the actual plot was incredibly dumb especially when you take into context how much "detail" went into crafting the universe its set in. The humans come off as way too blood thirsty and dumb while the navi come off as completely perfect in every way.

RLM's review of it is spot on;

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
The setting was great. The plotline was retarded, and childish.

Disney/cameron can promote. They probably should have done more to keep the brand alive. it WAS HUGE back then... but yeah. has lost a TON of power, from nothing keeping it alive.. and how sadly superficial the plot was.
(I'll admit I had actually thought it came out before Lord of the rings and harry potter..)
I'd say Avatar's initial success was the cgi/3d tech, combined with the popcorn flick bombastic visuals, and intentionally superficially endearing characters. big cat eye people intentionally made to look like babies to pull the heart string. Cameron literally saying, sad pouting cats on purpose.
Half the marvel movies have that same design theory. they fall apart on rewatch, or when you start thinking about logic, characters, motivations, plot, etc. But they are fun that first time you watch them, so get butts into the seats.

I'm not really sure how the story continues on Pandora itself in interesting way.
Is Avatar intended to pull from Dune? is Pandora Arrakis?

Disney didn't acquire Avatar until they acquired Fox in 2019.
I'm sure Disney will try to make Avatar another MCU & Star Wars universe type thing that never ends

Caliane

Disney didn't acquire Avatar until they acquired Fox in 2019.
I'm sure Disney will try to make Avatar another MCU & Star Wars universe type thing that never ends
Disney pandora park started development in 2011, and opened in 2017.
they had their hands back in the pie way back then.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
the tech in Aliens still holds up really well because it was all practical effects. i really dont see how they can blow people away anymore because whatever next big thing isnt really a next big thing. de aging software or the Mandolorian tech. that stuff has been around for years now. whats left to groundbreak?
The answer is coming. It involves no longer requiring actors. As just an off the wall example, Imagine doing The Magnificent Seven with a choice of actors at what ever age. You could have Clint Eastwood, John Wayne, Sam Elliot, Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson all in the same movie at the prime of their life. Imagine Bruce Lee taking on Steven Seagal with Van Damn thrown in for good measure.

That is the kind of tech that I think is close to coming.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Disney pandora park started development in 2011, and opened in 2017.
they had their hands back in the pie way back then.
Im talking about the movies.
Disney also had Star Wars rides before acquiring Star Wars.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The answer is coming. It involves no longer requiring actors. As just an off the wall example, Imagine doing The Magnificent Seven with a choice of actors at what ever age. You could have Clint Eastwood, John Wayne, Sam Elliot, Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson all in the same movie at the prime of their life. Imagine Bruce Lee taking on Steven Seagal with Van Damn thrown in for good measure.

ive been hearing about actor's likenesses being negotiated in contracts, but without certain dialogue and the uncanny valley still in films. its going to still be a long time before you see a fight scene between Errol Flynn and Tom Cruise.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Close? Doubtful. 15 years...maybe.

Not due to the tech, but due to the suits. Look at how risk adverse Hollywood is. They would rather throw money at shitty remakes that make a 10% return, than risk anything on innovation (that has no track record of the_returns) and that's a huge drag on the adoption and development of that kind of tech.

The Snow in the Desert short from Love Death +Robots (Netflix) shows that the tech is 90%+ there, and if the industry had full Hollywood support, it could probably be mainstream in 5 years or less.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The story was unbelievebly dumb considering the Director, budget and hype involved.
The hype was all about one thing....
wow-iota.gif

• 3Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Sevens

Log Wizard
Dances had good characters and a compelling story, Avatar did not. Dances slowly built up the relationship between him and the natives. The misunderstandings between them, the desire to learn more about each other and eventually the rapport and friendship between them. The natives were portrayed pretty realistically (by hollywood standards). They were savage and at times pretty blood thirsty but also had great honor and loyalty. Hell The Last Samurai is another great example of this genre of films...great characters and a compelling story. Avatar had pretty colors, and that's about it.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the original movie
eh it looks good still. kinda reminds me of a lesser quality WoW expansion trailer.
these things look amazing.

spronk

FPS noob

first reaction is just to make fun of avatar, "she was so bored she started crying" but then again James Cameron did Terminator, Aliens, T2, True Lies, and of course who can forget Titanic - literally EVERYONE said it was gonna bomb hard and be the biggest box office disaster in history, and it went on to make the most money ever until Avatar and then Avengers End Game.

So yeah, can't count him out, but i just can't imagine anyone gives a single fuck about avatar anymore. Hope its good though and does well, need more mega autistic sperglord movie directors who just wanna do their own shit

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

first reaction is just to make fun of avatar, "she was so bored she started crying" but then again James Cameron did Terminator, Aliens, T2, True Lies, and of course who can forget Titanic - literally EVERYONE said it was gonna bomb hard and be the biggest box office disaster in history, and it went on to make the most money ever until Avatar and then Avengers End Game.

So yeah, can't count him out, but i just can't imagine anyone gives a single fuck about avatar anymore. Hope its good though and does well, need more mega autistic sperglord movie directors who just wanna do their own shit

FN6BLoOVIAUogZ5

did somebody paint that?

tarb

Trakanon Raider
Say what you want about the story because yes its been done a million times, but to this day Avatar is the best 3D/immersive experience I have ever had in a movie theatre.

• 6Solidarity
  • 4Like
Reactions: 9 users