Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
In Avatar, the movie, it was. In the screen play they made the movie from, it was not. I just mentioned screen play things.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
I stand corrected. I suppose I could not fathom actually devoting time to read the screenplay and then entirely skipped over that part.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I didn't read the real thing. Some dude did and paraphrased the entire thing. It was linked on the last page.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I don't know if plot elements that had been in the screenplay, but were changed or dropped before the final version of the film edit, should be seen as priority ( if you get what I mean by priority ) in this discussion.

Bought up as trivia, like a side note but not part of the main discussion. Extra scenes from an extended version of the film would be okay.

In the film it was clearly stated by 'My name is Earl's' buddy that the main reason for getting the Navi out of the home tree was due to the fact that it sat on top of the largest Unobtainium deposit they'd found.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My post wasn't made as a "this is why this happened" thing. It was in direct response to your post about the article that I read, so I elaborated on it a little more. I found the article interesting as it explains some of the things that had no explanation in the movie. Specifically the floating mountains. Here's a copy and paste of that post. Read your quoted section to understand why I posted it:

There's some logic to the floating mountains. Explained somewhere, can't be bothered looking for it myself

But it goes along the lines of unobtainium being some super-conductor, explaining its value. And the super-conductive effect can make them repel each other like magnets (or something) so the mountains float.

And still be a normal enough mountain to have internal water-tables so water sources, springs on teh surface, meaning we get waterfalls.

^^Yeah something like that.

Also a question, the Avatar is linked to Jake or who ever is controlling theirs. There must be some direct signal link from the base to the Avatar and back to enable control and force-feedback etc. So some high data rate link going back and forth.

But there's area of Pandora where the electromagnetic field is so strong that the helicopter's guidence and sensor gear simply doesn't work. But the avatar signal has no fault.

And also how can a planet covered in trees and plants . . . not have breathable air!!
It was a link posted like 2 days ago in this thread.
Unobtanium is a super-conductor that operates at room temperature.
Pandora itself cures the human cold, yet looks at humans as a virus also, which is why animals try to attack them.
Pandora has a magnetic field much higher than earth. This allows the mountains to float. Those mountains are actually the only source of Unobtanium.
Humans want to take out world tree just to "teach the blue monkeys a lesson", not get metal from under it (because there's none under it.)
Avatars were made, not to get Na'Vi to move from Hometree, but to teach them how to work in the Unobtanium refineries. The reason why is it costs "the company" $1,000,000 per lbt just to send things from Earth to Pandora or vise versa. Having the stuff refined removes the junk, causing it to weigh much less.

kidgamer_sl

shitlord
Disney previews Avatar land expansion to open in 2017

rrr_img_46420.jpg

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
My post wasn't made as a "this is why this happened" thing. It was in direct response to your post about the article that I read, so I elaborated on it a little more. I found the article interesting as it explains some of the things that had no explanation in the movie. Specifically the floating mountains. Here's a copy and paste of that post. Read your quoted section to understand why I posted it:

It was a link posted like 2 days ago in this thread.
Unobtanium is a super-conductor that operates at room temperature.
Pandora itself cures the human cold, yet looks at humans as a virus also, which is why animals try to attack them.
Pandora has a magnetic field much higher than earth. This allows the mountains to float. Those mountains are actually the only source of Unobtanium.
Humans want to take out world tree just to "teach the blue monkeys a lesson", not get metal from under it (because there's none under it.)
Avatars were made, not to get Na'Vi to move from Hometree, but to teach them how to work in the Unobtanium refineries. The reason why is it costs "the company" $1,000,000 per lbt just to send things from Earth to Pandora or vise versa. Having the stuff refined removes the junk, causing it to weigh much less.
If the floating mountains are the only source of unobtanium, what were they digging for on land?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The MOVIE is different than the SCREEN PLAY.

In the Movie, unobtanium is from anywhere on Pandora. In the Screen Play, it is ONLY available from the floating mountains. It's what makes the mountains float to begin with.
The screenplay's version of digging on the main world is to make refineries to purify the unobtanium prior to sending it back to earth. Cut down on the weight and get more profit as a result.

Ok? Stop viewing my posts as if they're about the movie itself, I was ONLY talking about the screen play.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Right but no one gives a shit about the original screenplay. It is kind of interesting, but doesn't really mean anything in terms of the movie.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
the confusion i think is from having like, 3 seperate conversations at the same time. someone asked why the mountains float. there was absolutely no answer to this given in the movie. the screen play, however, mentioned this. when Xarpolis answered this question, citing the screenplay, it seemed like he was referencing the movie; stating that there was no unobtanium under home tree. he was simply clarifying what the screenplay stated about how mountians were floating.

anyways... i honestly can't imagine what could be said in the sequals that wasn't said in the original. visually it was great. storywise, as we've all pointed out, was wholly unimaginative and simply a vehicle to show off more of pandora. That being said, James Cameron has done more for the scientific community than most scientists... so... i guess let him make up some new fancy underwater motion capture technology.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Sorry about the confusion here also.

And I'm going to sound like a dick saying this too. . . But where I heard the floating mountains explanation (super-conductor) was in the extended edition Blu-Ray, I just did a check and that scene isn't up on youtube or nothing but yeah it's in the extended Blu-Ray.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I don't know what the sequels could be about. The first was clearly a movie about a man trying to get some giant blue snu-snu without winding up in a body cast, and he accomplished that. The only way forward is either the shitty sequel trope of killing off his woman so he can find love (again) or making it about their teenage kids and their own quest for snu-snu.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I don't know what the sequels could be about. The first was clearly a movie about a man trying to get some giant blue snu-snu without winding up in a body cast, and he accomplished that. The only way forward is either the shitty sequel trope of killing off his woman so he can find love (again) or making it about their teenage kids and their own quest for snu-snu.
sooo.....it's going to be a shity movie

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
It's probably going to be like watching the BBC series, Planet Earth. Where instead of Signore Weaver being the vocals, it'll be Jake Sulley.

Episode 2 is the oceans and underwater life. Episode 3 might focus on the air instead of just the 2 bird types you saw in the first one.

Episode 4 will pull it all together and make you go "huh, imagine that." or some shit.

I'll still watch them and love the fuck out of the visuals.

cguy_sl

shitlord
There's a reason why Dances with Wolves part 2 and part 3 was never filmed. Because people get tired of this sequel shit.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
And yet they are making a Transformers 5 and it will do great at the theaters. People are real retarded, sir.