Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I dont get these movies. I didn't think the 1st one was great (was alright) and this looks awful to me.
Thats the thing. Most people will say the first from a technical standpoint was pretty good movie when watched in a theater, but thats all it had going for it. The story/characters where all meh and very forgettable at best.

Imagine if Cameron went with a more enjoyable stereotypical story; dudes in mechs fighting aliens aka starship troopers or pacific rim. He could have easily establish a new IP which you think they would have done considering how theyve been trying to turn this into a new Star Wars.

Im sure this will make plenty of money, but seeing as how the story is bad and its not a noteworthy IP like Star Wars to carry the bad story, it wont be anywhere near as successful as the first.
I think the technology difference is a lot bigger in the Avatar world. Both sides in Vietnam used rifles as the main weapon.
From a logical standpoint it makes even less sense as the technological disparity between the two factions in Avatar is a few orders of magnitude greater than what it was in the Vietnam War.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thats the thing. Most people will say the first from a technical standpoint was pretty good movie when watched in a theater, but thats all it had going for it. The story/characters where all meh and very forgettable at best.

Imagine if Cameron went with a more enjoyable stereotypical story; dudes in mechs fighting aliens aka starship troopers or pacific rim. He could have easily establish a new IP which you think they would have done considering how theyve been trying to turn this into a new Star Wars.

Im sure this will make plenty of money, but seeing as how the story is bad and its not a noteworthy IP like Star Wars to carry the bad story, it wont be anywhere near as successful as the first.

From a logical standpoint it makes even less sense as the technological disparity between the two factions in Avatar is a few orders of magnitude greater than what it was in the Vietnam War.
I liked the first one well enough, even though I never went to the theater for it. Dance with Wolves in Space, with a white man saving the ignorant natives and all that white man's burden made for a fun adventure movie. It was good enough for one re-watch, but not much more than that.

I will probably watch this, at home, when ever it's released to a streaming service, unless it gets absolutely terrible reviews.

Mandriana

In his defense how many of us actually saw Dredd in the theater?
I saw it in theatres when it released, in 3D, and made the wife to go see it with me. She was very reluctant to go, given that her only exposure to JD was the Stallone movie but she completely loved it. It's one of her go to movies that she always watches when it comes on TV.

• 1Solidarity

Cybsled

It would have been cool to go that route, but I am not 100% sure it would have been as successful. Avatar played well with a large demographic (domestically and internationally) because you had the action pieces, but you also had the love story stuff.

spronk

FPS noob

i doubt i'll see this in theaters, 3h10m thats too long for furry shit with strangers but man i hope it bombs so we just get 1 more avatar movie instead of fucking 4 more

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member

The story was so Pocahontas-generic, and they even named the mineral UNOBTAINIUM, like something some bored kid came up with as a placeholder.

I enjoyed the 3D tech and the big battle scene with the hovercopters, but that was about it.

I am a huge fan of the main "villain", and to see him put to waste as this 2 dimensional character was poopy.

Edit - I will watch this bored on a snowy cold night if it shows up on one of my subscription services, but otherwise not a chance.

• 1Solidarity

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The 3D for the original was spectacular. I mean it was impressive enough that it spawned a whole decade of post-converted 3D premium releases. I will want to see this in the theater because of this showmanship, but I nevertheless assume this will bomb badly.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
This movie isn't bombing.
  • James Cameron
  • 2009 re-release just pulled in over 30million on a random weekend in September
  • James Cameron

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I would care much more about this story if it was about humans smashing the savages with their superior tech in order to bring civilization to them. I can't say I give too much of a shit about the noble savage fighting off the evil colonizers story. Fuck off James Cameron.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Project 880 script had a better story but still had the same story beats. Any sequel stuff is totally new and written in the last decade with nothing to base it on so who knows if Cameron can do a narrative and not just focus on visuals.

Goatface

Saw predictions have it making $650m domestic, like $130m less than first one. That would be Jurassic world numbers.
Crazy that it made over $400m in dvd/br sales.

Cybsled

Movie profits will live or die on how WTF amazing the 3D is. They’ve had 13 years to
improve

• 1Solidarity

Sevens

Log Wizard
The story was so Pocahontas-generic, and they even named the mineral UNOBTAINIUM, like something some bored kid came up with as a placeholder.

I enjoyed the 3D tech and the big battle scene with the hovercopters, but that was about it.

I am a huge fan of the main "villain", and to see him put to waste as this 2 dimensional character was poopy.

Edit - I will watch this bored on a snowy cold night if it shows up on one of my subscription services, but otherwise not a chance.
Of all the reasons to bash Avatar (and omg there are so many, horrible shit filled movie) referring to the mineral as "Unobtainium" is not one of them...that is an actual term used

Yes, I know its Wikipedia but its good enough in this instance

And this is in no way a "Dances with wolves" story in space, god damn DWW was a masterpiece. Avatar was just a "white man bad, savages noble" preachy bullshit pile of mashed up gopher guts. DWW dealt with a people whose way of life was coming to an end and how they faced it, sometimes with rage and sometimes with quiet resignation.

Last edited:
  • 1Seriously?

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
James Cameron’s “Avatar” currently sits as the highest-grossing film of all time, with the 2009 film having racked up a $2.93 billion global box-office haul off a $237 million budget.

The upcoming sequels represent a massive investment on the part of 20th Century Studios and Cameron, in a new interview with GQ, isn’t softening the news in regards to how much the film has to earn.

Asked about the budget, he called it “very f—ing [expensive],” so much so that he informed the studio that the film represented “the worst business case in movie history”. Not only that, in order to be profitable, it “has to be the third or fourth highest-grossing film in history. That’s your threshold. That’s your break even.”

In the post-pandemic era, any film making over $1 billion at the worldwide box office is a major achievement. To reach that marker, Cameron is indicating, it’s going to have to hit the $2 billion mark – essentially, it has to surpass sixth place “Spider-Man: No Way Home” ($1.92 billion) and fifth place “Avengers: Infinity War” ($2.05 billion).

Cameron talks about the big advantage he has over some other filmmakers – namely, he likes the challenge:

“I like difficult. I’m attracted by difficulty. Difficult is a f—ing magnet for me. I go straight to difficult. And I think it probably goes back to this idea that there are lots of smart, really gifted, really talented filmmakers out there that just can’t do the difficult stuff. So that gives me a tactical edge to do something nobody else has ever seen because the really gifted people don’t f—ing want to do it.”
Cameron has already said his five-film plan for the franchise depends on how the second and third films do with both already shot.

“Avatar: The Way of Water” opens everywhere on December 16th.

• 1Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord

i doubt i'll see this in theaters, 3h10m thats too long for furry shit with strangers but man i hope it bombs so we just get 1 more avatar movie instead of fucking 4 more
This reeks of "we have 3 movies worth of story, but hopefully we can milk 5 out of it".

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
In our universe where the Alien, Predator, Star Wars, and Star Trek franchises have all been mercilessly exploited into derivative piles of shit just to make an immediate profit; this trash franchise with its trash story and trash characters better not be the big winner. Fuck this movie and I hope it flops big time.

• 1Worf