Harshaw

Throbbing Member

spronk

FPS noob
1708615529707.png

i hate it when critic and audience numbers are kinda close, makes it tough to tell if its shit (critics high, audience low) or really good (critics low, audience high). This sounds like its just kinda mid.

ill still watch at some point but no rush, 8 episodes all dropped

Cybsled

I haven’t watched it yet, but one common complaint i heard is the 1st episode is very exposition heavy. I could see how that could be annoying to fans of the original show since it would effectively be a recap of shit they already know

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I have only seen the first episode. I thought it was good enough. They definitely dump some lore at the beginning to let people, with no knowledge of the show, know what is going on.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
what the fuck is up with foh autoplaying youtube embeds all the sudden. quick way to kill of whats left of this dying forum

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Halfway through and not sure I like them jamming story beats together because they only had 8 episodes. It seems more rushed than One Piece in that aspect.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
As someone that didn't watch the original, it's fine. I see complaints about Sokka not being sexist enough or whatever but if your entire character arc is "asshole eventually respects women" then it was probably bad. I have a couple of episodes left but the coolest spectacle so far was probably seeing how Zuko got his face fucked up.

Do none of the Avatar ghosts actually teach Aang how to bend their element? Why doesn't he try to do anything other than wind stuff? I thought for sure he would train near the river with Katara when she was doing her motions and that he'd probably pick it up easy because he's Neo or whatever.

Cybsled

Been forever since I've seen the cartoon, but Katara helped him with learning water bending and Toph later helped with Earth bending. He learned fire bending last.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
He really didn't start water bending until season 2 which he trained with kitara, then when toph comes he trains both.

Just finished season 1. I liked it a lot, so did my wife. Imo solid 8 to 8.5 outta 10. Wife giggles at the cabbage dude..laughed even more when I told her, its the same guy that did the cartoon.

they did not tone sokka down much, I like his character...except for his nose. Actor and portrayal is fine, hate the nose.

Kitara is fine, like her portrayal,

Only issue I have with zuko and azula is thier faces are too round cartoon had them more angular looking not round. the portrayal of the characters are good. I Like Iroh's character, they have built his and zuko's relationship a lot more.

The bending effects are really really good for the most part. Almost exactly like the original cartoon and not like that movie abomination.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenas

Trump's Staff
He really didn't start water bending until season 2 which he trained with kitara, then when toph comes he trains both.

Just finished season 1. I liked it a lot [...] they did not tone sokka down much, I like his character...except for his nose. Actor and portrayal is fine, hate the nose. [...] Kitara is fine, like her portrayal [...] Only issue I have with zuko and azula is thier faces are too round cartoon had them more angular looking not round.

So, as someone that watched the show, your main critique is that they couldn't 100% match live action actors to the physical characteristics of their... avatars?

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
YA pretty much. didn't bug me too much imo the guy who played Jet imo -just based on LOOKS- looked more like Zuko in the cartoon,

I LIKED the portrayals, but after so long of having watched the show over the years, you have their look firmly planted in you mind on how the character is supposed to look and when it changes, it is jarring.

imo sokka and kitara's look and how they appear is almost spot on face wise, but, almost all the fire nation characters - except for ozai, zhao and iroh(so far), their faces are all "rounder" than the original cartoon, especially the ones we will be interacting with if this gets a season 2 and 3...

zuko azula tai lee and mai.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Her acting sucks and she doesn't look the role at all. I can't believe the guy from Ghosts played Bumi.

Screenshot_20240228-070852.png

Cybsled

Watched the whole thing. After seeing the season, I suspect the real reason they took out the sexist Sokka subplot on Kyoshi Island is that it was too similar to the stuff Katara has to go through with the North Water Tribe and would have just felt like a rehash. They just reframed it during Kiyoshi as Sokka isn't the best warrior skill wise and gets humbled, which ties into the insecurity about his status as a warrior when he gets the dark visions in the Spirit Realm and later how they focus on how his true strength as a warrior is his heart/conviction.

Series was pretty good. Cartoon was better, but live action show did a pretty good job. The bending is pretty spot on with the cartoon and it hits most of the major beats of the first season. They definitely are trying to set up the June and Iroh thing a bit more as well (Iroh had a thing for her in the cartoon). The 8 episode run does make some stuff feel a bit rushed, though