Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Loved the movie. If I could nitpickThis one bugged me: I thought non immortals couldn't touch/hold an infinity stone? Hulk, Hawkeye, ect. should have blown up, no?

I ended up assuming that only the power stone was that destructive in the MCU.

You can look at it as being exclusionary or look at it as being something less self righteous. It wasn't nearly as dumb girl power as the Ghostbusters remake. They produced a 30s scene with the female characters lining up that will make for an interesting gif or screencap... I get that it was a bit of pandering, but do you really give that much of a fuck? If it took you out of your suspension of disbelief, that's a personal problem. If you want to be critical of that particular scene, you can dismantle the entire movie and look at it in a negative light fairly easily.

For me? It was just another neat screenshot that fits within the comic book translated to big screen. I literally don't get why people are so butt hurt over it. If they portrayed the same thing 10 years ago before the SJW movement, no one would give two fucks and may have even heralded it as being a badass moment. The fact that folks are bothered by it, even being so ridiculously minimal, means we've all been fucked by said movement so as to ruin an otherwise amazing movie.

It's not the scene that's wrong. It's that focusing on one sex or the other is critically analyzed now for political bullshit.

Pull your dick out of politics.

Really seems like you're the one that's "so butt hurt over it"

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
You can look at it as being exclusionary or look at it as being something less self righteous. It wasn't nearly as dumb girl power as the Ghostbusters remake. They produced a 30s scene with the female characters lining up that will make for an interesting gif or screencap... I get that it was a bit of pandering, but do you really give that much of a fuck? If it took you out of your suspension of disbelief, that's a personal problem. If you want to be critical of that particular scene, you can dismantle the entire movie and look at it in a negative light fairly easily.

For me? It was just another neat screenshot that fits within the comic book translated to big screen. I literally don't get why people are so butt hurt over it. If they portrayed the same thing 10 years ago before the SJW movement, no one would give two fucks and may have even heralded it as being a badass moment. The fact that folks are bothered by it, even being so ridiculously minimal, means we've all been fucked by said movement so as to ruin an otherwise amazing movie.

It's not the scene that's wrong. It's that focusing on one sex or the other is critically analyzed now for political bullshit.

Pull your dick out of politics.
Who the hell is on the march about "representation"? Who artificially sets up a scene on the battlefield where just women happen to be around the character portrayed by the most outspoken far-left radical actress in the movie? Its not the people complaining who needs to keep their "dicks" out of politics: Keep your politics/propaganda out of our movies/entertainment. And yes, its one scene that doesn't ruin the movie. So what? I am still working on writing a post listing all the things I liked and didn't like; its a lot to digest and express. This one part, though, is easy to pass judgement on.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Loved the movie. If I could nitpick

1. Absolutely ham fisted female hero scene
  2. This one bugged me: I thought non immortals couldn't touch/hold an infinity stone? Hulk, Hawkeye, ect. should have blown up, no?

Unless you're discounting their "object" forms, humans have handled nearly every Infinity stone in the movies, even actually touching a few of them in stone form. They never harnessed the full power of any of them, except maybe Strange using the time stone, but the Sorcerers have spent a long time studying that particular item.

They were very afraid of using the gauntlet, even predicting it would kill someone who wasn't god-tier, which I think is probably a fine restriction, as opposed to just "stones are too much to hold for a human"

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Unless you're discounting their "object" forms, humans have handled nearly every Infinity stone in the movies, even actually touching a few of them in stone form. They never harnessed the full power of any of them, except maybe Strange using the time stone, but the Sorcerers have spent a long time studying that particular item.

They were very afraid of using the gauntlet, even predicting it would kill someone who wasn't god-tier, which I think is probably a fine restriction, as opposed to just "stones are too much to hold for a human"
Makes me curious what would have happened if Thor or Nebula donned the new gauntlet.

Also, side note, now that I think of it, this makes Tony Stark equal to those that crafted Stormbreaker, the weapon that blazed through the power of the gauntlet with all of its stones at the end of Infinity War - it was nurfed x10 in Endgame. Minimized to a guilletine. While it explained Thor, like Age of Ultron, they fucked something up. Left something out. Or in this case, didn't apply something to make the circumstances better but not alter the movie.

The Lebowski scene was worth it, but should have been rectified in some manner before the final fight - though it does give credence to Thor getting tossed aside and not being imba when Thanos doesn't even have a single stone. Still, fat Thor out stayed his welcome.

That kind of inverse power story and coming out as strong as this. Jesus fuck.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
But then does a solo film. Mmkay.

dude are you on something? first you completely misunderstand the entire frustration with the girl power scene, then you completely misread that entire article.

first, not a single person has said the girl power scene ruined the movie. we've all said it was stupid, hamfisted and took us out of the best part of the movie. we didn't say anything about it ruining the movie. secondly. that article has NOTHING to do with black widow or why she shouldn't do a solo film about her. she's frustrated by the left imploding on itself instead of banding together.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
10/10.

Although I came here for the inevitable complaints about certain things and wasn't disappointed. I thought it was very well done to show certain characters power levels against Thanos being able to hold there own for a brief time but eventually he beat them down 1 on 1...Cap with the hammer, Captain Marvel, Scarlet Witch. Although I guess with SW he just had his ship bombard shit everywhere she kind of had him on the ropes. The send offs for RDJ and Evans were great. Chris Hemsworth is fucking hilarious and the entire scene with Asgaurdians of the Galaxy was great. His comedic timing is flawless. The only thing I didn't like all that much although I'm giving it a pass was Professor Hulk. "On your left" with the portals opening and everyone showing up was god tier.

I would be very interested to hear someone's very good explanation about how all the timelines sync up from start to finish now, since 2014 Thanos came to the future and got killed, did the original snap just never happen now? But Hulk's snap had everyone that died from the first snap just skip over 5 years of existence and come back while everyone else is 5 years older? Cap goes and lives his life but does it interfere with Peggy Carter's work as an agent her whole life? He just doesn't say shit about anything that is going to happen for those 70 years that was bad? His original body still gets found and he's asleep for 70 years? So many questions.

• 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 user

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
dude are you on something? first you completely misunderstand the entire frustration with the girl power scene, then you completely misread that entire article.

first, not a single person has said the girl power scene ruined the movie. we've all said it was stupid, hamfisted and took us out of the best part of the movie. we didn't say anything about it ruining the movie. secondly. that article has NOTHING to do with black widow or why she shouldn't do a solo film about her. she's frustrated by the left imploding on itself instead of banding together.

Why its not in a Disney contract to STFU up about politics within 2 months of your movie opening seems like a major oversight at this point.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
The hammer scene was godlike. Actually the whole Thanos fight was pretty much everything you could ask for.

AFter 21 movies, and seeing ALL the actors and actresses..it was pretty breathtaking. There was a point in the big battle where I realized, “this is it, they did it. This is a true comic come to life moment in every sense”

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
10/10.

I would be very interested to hear someone's very good explanation about how all the timelines sync up from start to finish now, since 2014 Thanos came to the future and got killed, did the original snap just never happen now? But Hulk's snap had everyone that died from the first snap just skip over 5 years of existence and come back while everyone else is 5 years older? Cap goes and lives his life but does it interfere with Peggy Carter's work as an agent her whole life? He just doesn't say shit about anything that is going to happen for those 70 years that was bad? His original body still gets found and he's asleep for 70 years? So many questions.

When they go back in time they are in an alternate timeline. So everything they do there isn't effecting the original timeline. So when Thanos came to the future and dies. He is the Thanos from that other timeline. Meaning that other timeline never had to deal with Thanos. The big thing with Hulk's snap was Stark's "get back everything we lost and keep everything we have" which is why they didn't try to reset back to before the snap. When Cap goes off he goes back to the other timeline and gets with Peggy. Then, I assume, when that Peggy passes away Cap returns to the original timeline. So he was still found and did everything the movies portrayed. He just went away and came back old.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Why its not in a Disney contract to STFU up about politics within 2 months of your movie opening seems like a major oversight at this point.

the others have said FAR worse. all she said was she's not sure if she'll support joe biden. honestly it seems like she doens't follow politics super closely but wants to toe the party line. the problem is the party doesn't even know who to back at the moment.

anyway...

When they go back in time they are in an alternate timeline. So everything they do there isn't effecting the original timeline. So when Thanos came to the future and dies. He is the Thanos from that other timeline. Meaning that other timeline never had to deal with Thanos. The big thing with Hulk's snap was Stark's "get back everything we lost and keep everything we have" which is why they didn't try to reset back to before the snap. When Cap goes off he goes back to the other timeline and gets with Peggy. Then, I assume, when that Peggy passes away Cap returns to the original timeline. So he was still found and did everything the movies portrayed. He just went away and came back old.
so here's the problem with all of this. it involves quantum physics but doesn't ACTUALLY. at no point in any of this movie did anyone move from one timeline to another. thanos and his army (including gamora and nebula) go forward into their own timeline to fight the avengers and steal the infinity stones. while the avengers DO create alternate timelines with their time heist, cap goes back and replaces all the stones, closing off and erasing those new timelines.

quantum physics just... wouldn't allow that. if cap goes back and replaces closes off those timelines in THIS timeline, there's an infinite amount of realities where cap DOESN'T close off those timelines. anyway, this gets into real heady stuff, but the bottom line is that no one changed timelines. thanos, gamora, nebula, cap, (and the rest of the avengers during the time heist) all moved around throughout a SINGLE timeline and ultimately changed nothing because you can't change the past.

you can imagine the problem this causes with thanos. thanos has turned into schoedinger's cat, i guess. he both went forward in time and got snapped out of existence AND stayed where he was and collected the gems and snapped half the universe out of existence. time travel is so problematic...

Jive Turkey

Karen
the others have said FAR worse. all she said was she's not sure if she'll support joe biden. honestly it seems like she doens't follow politics super closely but wants to toe the party line. the problem is the party doesn't even know who to back at the moment.

anyway...

so here's the problem with all of this. it involves quantum physics but doesn't ACTUALLY. at no point in any of this movie did anyone move from one timeline to another. thanos and his army (including gamora and nebula) go forward into their own timeline to fight the avengers and steal the infinity stones. while the avengers DO create alternate timelines with their time heist, cap goes back and replaces all the stones, closing off and erasing those new timelines.

quantum physics just... wouldn't allow that. if cap goes back and replaces closes off those timelines in THIS timeline, there's an infinite amount of realities where cap DOESN'T close off those timelines. anyway, this gets into real heady stuff, but the bottom line is that no one changed timelines. thanos, gamora, nebula, cap, (and the rest of the avengers during the time heist) all moved around throughout a SINGLE timeline and ultimately changed nothing because you can't change the past.

you can imagine the problem this causes with thanos. thanos has turned into schoedinger's cat, i guess. he both went forward in time and got snapped out of existence AND stayed where he was and collected the gems and snapped half the universe out of existence. time travel is so problematic...

As soon as they arrived in their past, they created a new timeline. It's the many worlds theory, in that the timeline they enter becomes a branching point for a new future. It was their past only until they entered it, then it became a new timeline. Captain America wasn't closing off anything. He was just giving them back the stones. Their futures are still continuing along a different path than the one that ends up in Cap's present. Thanos *did* travel to a different timeline because as soon as he discovered what was going on, his timeline would've never wound up in the modern present.

So there's no Schrodinger's Thanos. The one that traveled to our present and got snapped out of existence was completely different than the one who collected the stones. That's what they meant by not being able to change our present by changing the past. It just creates a new branching timeline that has no effect on the present

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Good movie, not as good as Infinity War (IW has the advantage of having a hero loss which is unique on its own). Lots of great moments, some pretty stupid ones with the dumbass Avengettes scene. Mostly loved all the fan service but I was honestly expecting more people to bite it. Fat Thor was funny at first but got old quick. Give me back fucking sexy ass Hemsworth, damnit.

i think they could have done something with Banner when he snapped and giving him a scene in the Soup Stone with Black Widow, giving their relationship a proper sending. Captain Marvel and Scarlet Witch are too fucking OP and I was hoping SW would die (though really hoping CM would but sadly doubt that’s going to happen anytime soon). I’m glad the time travel shit wasn't too fucky. Yeah there’s some holes in it but for the most part it was wrapped up pretty well under the circumstances. Stark’s ending was great and quite the tear-jerker.

Overall, couple issues but a very satisfying end to this arc.

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Well it's not like Cap is dead...he can still fucking talk to them. Plus if it comes to it they can just de-age the guy for a 'Cap comes to the rescue' scene any number of years later after Chris Evans gets tired of being artsy for awhile.

The bigger issue is what the hell are they going to do now that all these people are back after a 5 year gap? Assuming that Bruce wished them back into safe places (like not hanging in the middle of the sky from being snapped out of a moving plane) they would still need to deal with things like someone having moved into their house, not having a job, etc.

I suppose it's better to just not dwell on that aspect of the whole deal.

During the first part of the movie when you see the world in shambles after the snap five years later, it was mentioned how the planet has gotten better because there's less pollution / industrial activity, whales have returned to the Hudson, etc... plus people as a whole probably realized how much their loved ones matter and how they should enjoy the moment, yada yada...

That, to me, was the reason why Iron Man told Hulk to snap people back AFTER the five years, so they'd return to a universe that "learned its lesson" from the snap and can hopefully change its ways so another Thanos doesn't need show up ever again.

• 1Like

Inque

FunEmployed
Loved the movie. If I could nitpick

1. Absolutely ham fisted female hero scene
  2. This one bugged me: I thought non immortals couldn't touch/hold an infinity stone? Hulk, Hawkeye, ect. should have blown up, no?

Agreed on #1
Quill was able to hold the Power Stone only because of the group effort in the original Guardians movie; He is also part Celestial. The reason Hawkeye and others can hold the stones is because technically they aren't. They are holding the gauntlet, no different than Ronan with the Power Stone in his weapon.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Agreed on #1
Quill was able to hold the Power Stone only because of the group effort in the original Guardians movie; He is also part Celestial. The reason Hawkeye and others can hold the stones is because technically they aren't. They are holding the gauntlet, no different than Ronan with the Power Stone in his weapon.

Except that Hawkeye literally held the Soul Stone in his hands. But that one probably binds with the person who is chosen to have it.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Not as good as Infinity War but still a perfect wrap up of the last 10 years. I thought it started off pretty slowly but it picked up steam quickly.

I didn't like fat Thor. He was funny at first, but he looked stupid fighting and trying to look bad ass with his big old beer belly later in the movie.