Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

Cybsled

The site you have attempted to reach has been identified by The McAfee Global Threat Intelligence database as potentially malicious and ARRIS recommends not accessing the site.

Thanos is clearly trying to delete half the computers in the universe as well

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
A complaint I had was this movie did not exist on its own in anyway.
It occurs to me, I was looking at it wrong partially. The point stands, but, that is also, in a way the very point itself.

it is a feature length serial film.
Serial film - Wikipedia

Its not even a franchise, trilogy, sequel or anything. this was 100% a serial film.
None of that has anything to do with if Infinity War is a complete movie or not. Your link? Please. This movie didn't end on a cliffhanger, really, despite the way the audience, including myself, felt walking out of it. Regardless of movies that came before it or those movies we know to be coming after it, the correct way to judge if a movie is a standalone is if it tells a complete story in and of itself: Three-Act Structure
First Act: Set-up/Second Act: Confrontation/Third Act: Resolution. The Save the Cat! guy had a more complex breakdown for the three act structure, and Infinity War is far more complicated because essentially you have two A and two B stories, not always the same ones, running and merging at all times but by by this measure, its a complete movie. All of the boxes had been checked, the final confrontation had occurred, one side had achieved their objectives, and the movie ended. Fin.

Now, the ending may be so different than what you expected, what Marvel movies generally offer, and we all know that there will be more story to follow but those meta facts and audience expectations doesn't change what you call the narrative structure, any more that some voters expectations two Novembers ago changed the final outcome of the election. There will be other movies, just like there be other elections but this is complete and stands on its own from a narrative perspective.

Edit: Marvel did everyone a disservice in this regard by having these movies as Part 1 and Part 2 on the schedule years (late 2013? early 2014? wow; Capt America Winter Soldier was still called CA: Serpent Society) ago before changing course and deciding to brand them as their own standalone movies, probably to avoid this very thing.

Last edited:

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
None of that has anything to do with if Infinity War is a complete movie or not. Your link? Please. This movie didn't end on a cliffhanger, really, despite the way the audience, including myself, felt walking out of it. Regardless of movies that came before it or those movies we know to be coming after it, the correct way to judge if a movie is a standalone is if it tells a complete story in and of itself: Three-Act Structure
First Act: Set-up/Second Act: Confrontation/Third Act: Resolution. The Save the Cat! guy had a more complex breakdown for the three act structure, and Infinity War is far more complicated because essentially you have two A and two B stories, not always the same ones, running and merging at all times but by by this measure, its a complete movie. All of the boxes had been checked, the final confrontation had occurred, one side had achieved their objectives, and the movie ended. Fin.

Now, the ending may be so different than what you expected, what Marvel movies generally offer, and we all know that there will be more story to follow but those meta facts and audience expectations doesn't change what you call the narrative structure, any more that some voters expectations two Novembers ago changed the final outcome of the election. There will be other movies, just like there be other elections but this is complete and stands on its own from a narrative perspective.

Edit: Marvel did everyone a disservice in this regard by having these movies as Part 1 and Part 2 on the schedule years (late 2013? early? wow Capt America Winter Soldier was still called CA: Serpent Society) ago before changing course and deciding to brand them as their own standalone movies, probably to avoid this very thing.

I agree. We all know it's essentially a 2 parter, but it can be taken at face value that Thanos won and it's over.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Good question...

FB_IMG_1525473149097.jpg

• 8Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 8 users

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Fun movie on a rewatch. Some of you have too high/wrong expectations of a marvel movie. As far as Mcu, this was 2nd best behind civil war, and probably slightly better than the first avengers. Other than wakanda the action scenes were all great, and Thor showing up kinda redeemed wakanda too. I know this won’t win as many oscars but I sure as hell liked watching this a second time, way more than I did shape of water (one viewing way more than enuf)

Haus

<Silver Donator>

Of course you know the whole reason for this is that they changed his motivation from the comics, in the comics he wants to kill half the universe to essentially "holla"/hit on Death. Which then makes his plan perfectly logical for the goal. But that doesn't make for a "compelling enough" or "complex enough" bad guy these days. Also it doesn't let them preach on a political point of overpopulation/resource management. I swear I will nerd rage on a level never seen before if in the next one someone gets the gauntlet and solves the problem by "Just creating more resources and making sure they're fairly shared to everyone".

• 3Like
  • 1Salty
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Create more resources. The idiots who were already overpopulating and starving themselves of said resources keep procreating, increasing populations and consuming faster than can be replenished.

Obviously not a solution, just a short-sighted bandaid. Thanos has the power of foresight. And he didn't even need a gem for that!

• 7Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Ladro

Anomaly
I would hope the stones would still be bound by the laws of physics and you couldn’t just create resources from nothing. Conservation of Energy should still be a thing...

But yes, it’s a comic and fictional universe so whatever.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I would hope the stones would still be bound by the laws of physics and you couldn’t just create resources from nothing. Conservation of Energy should still be a thing...

In a universe where all the characters that defy all physical laws, you hope the magical stones are scientifically accurate?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Reality gem?

• 1Solidarity

Jive Turkey

Karen
Of course you know the whole reason for this is that they changed his motivation from the comics, in the comics he wants to kill half the universe to essentially "holla"/hit on Death. Which then makes his plan perfectly logical for the goal. But that doesn't make for a "compelling enough" or "complex enough" bad guy these days. Also it doesn't let them preach on a political point of overpopulation/resource management. I swear I will nerd rage on a level never seen before if in the next one someone gets the gauntlet and solves the problem by "Just creating more resources and making sure they're fairly shared to everyone".

These movies are also sitting right on the edge of suspension of disbelief. Marvel does a good job of switching certain things around just enough that they mostly avoid comic book schlock. Thanos doing it to impress death would surely push them over that edge.
I'm still not sure how they manage to dress Cumberbatch up like actual Dr Strange and not have him look like a complete goon

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Caliane

wants the INFINITY gauntlet to be finite, and bound by the laws of physics...

also, the Marvel universe is not even a closed system. Beyonders, Galactus, phoenix force, punches from the punch dimension, time travel/multiple timelines. Extra-universal input all of the time.

Create renewable resources is the obvious answer. It is arguable a flaw, they changed his motivation to something so easily fixed with his power level.. He has the same motivation as Sam Jackson in Kingsman.. But Sam didnt have the power to rewrite reality. Perhaps it will get addressed. the old saying, when you have a hammer every problem looks like a nail. Thanos came up with his plan to kill half the universe before getting the gauntlet. he just didnt consider changing his plan when got it, and new options opened up. A few scenes where he was shown to be totally fixated on his PLAN!tm, in the face of other suggestions, or aides giving him advice contrary to his PLAN! probably would have been a good idea. perhaps show Thanos a bit more of a warrior/general. where again, he would see the world as kill/be killed, not create, build, or expand. (like Zod) where, granted, thanos is not zod, and that would not be entirely true to his character, but it would at least explain his dumb plan, and inability to be more creative.

The good guys will be just as short sighted of course. They ALSO can't be allowed to actually think through their wish. Its like fucking Tony and his now 35th century Ironman nanotech suit. I can't help notice no one else in the world, has any of that technology, save the suit gifted to spiderman. And even Warmachines is the old tech.. How many lives would that shit save? How is Earth not colonizing Mars and beyond with that shit? status quo. They won't use the gauntlet to actually create a perfect universal system. they will just bring everyone back from the dead, and ignore the future consequences of overpopulation, or entropy.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
So you’re butthurt they didn’t tell you 42 is the answer to everything?

I love those people. Heyyyyyyy you have artificial gravity on your ship but you don’t have...

Heyyy you have a quantum teleporter but also hungry people.

Shut the fuck up and go write something better.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>

I know you get this but the whole purpose of the stones is to violate the laws of physics. You are rolling forward/back Time, magnifying Power, altering Reality, folding Space, dominating Minds... Oh, sorry, I didn't see this room was already taken.

/dogpile

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It's difficult because the avengers are so far beyond the scope of humanity that it's incredibly difficult to demonstrate any kind of real world benefit without utterly changing the natural course of the world to such a degree that it becomes unrecognizable.

Tony solved the renewable, clean energy problem back in avengers 1. Just Hank Pym by himself iterating on miniaturization 30 years ago would have made such drastic changes to technology that there is no telling where the current world should be.

You kind of just have to accept that these things stay in a vacuum

• 1Like

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I just got home from seeing it

Just a big convoluted mess. Wanted to grab for a remote numerous times to pause and work out WTF was going on.

Maybe I didn't get enough sleep last night.

• 5Picard
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 5 users

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I always crack up when people bring reality into these movies. Just have fun and enjoy the movie, man. But for those that argue Thanos should have just doubled everything, wouldn't doubling all the resources in the universe essentially double all stars & planets, and therefore cause solar systems implode? Another couple planets in our soloar system would totally fuck us up. Thanos' solution is much easier.

• 1Like