Awesome Games Done Quick 2014: Speedrunning For Charity - January 5th-11th

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
The Super Metroid race was one of speed running's finest moments, I think. It was almost like an e-sports event or something. Great commentary and it came right down to the end with 3 out of the 4 racers.
Yep, they need to include many more of those types of races in future events. It's much more interesting that runs which have 0 chance of breaking a record (not that they aren't entertaining in their own way) especially with the good commentating. They should do a daily 3 hour primetime block of races or something like that with Golden and Pie commentating like they do with their weekly races (although I haven't watched in a while and not sure if they're still doing it).

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah, didn't they make like over 60k in donations during that race alone?

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'd really be surprised if they broke any records at all. Even though they try hard, the environment isn't really conducive to the down-to-the-second accuracy that a lot of those speedruns require. Most of the games are down to such a science that any screw-up at all loses a shot at the record.

That being said, I don't know that they DO NOT break records, so if anyone knows of any record-breaking runs, I'd like to see them!
smile.png

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
There were a few last year, Diddy Kong Racing maybe? Not sure how competitive Diddy Kong Racing speed runs are though.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is there a list of which runs they did break the record on?
The "2 People 1 Controller" Mirror's Edge run that they did yesterday afternoon was a WR.

They really need to put the WR on the screen next to the name of the game being played...

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd really be surprised if they broke any records at all. Even though they try hard, the environment isn't really conducive to the down-to-the-second accuracy that a lot of those speedruns require. Most of the games are down to such a science that any screw-up at all loses a shot at the record.
thats the one thing i dislike about agdq. they put up conservative estimates for length and dont really seem to be going for the records.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The "2 People 1 Controller" Mirror's Edge run that they did yesterday afternoon was a WR.

They really need to put the WR on the screen next to the name of the game being played...
They'll usually casually say about what the WR is. Since most of the games have no shot at the WR I don't know if having it on the already small screen real-estate is a great idea.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
thats the one thing i dislike about agdq. they put up conservative estimates for length and dont really seem to be going for the records.
The point of AGDQ isn't really setting records. They generally use conservative low risk strategies because the main focus is entertainment. Seeing someone resetting the game time and time again until they make a frame perfect jump is not fun. If it was then these speed runners would have 100k viewers like AGDQ gets.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The point of AGDQ isn't really setting records. They generally use conservative low risk strategies because the main focus is entertainment. Seeing someone resetting the game time and time again until they make a frame perfect jump is not fun. If it was then these speed runners would have 100k viewers like AGDQ gets.
i wouldnt reset for jumps, but id ask runners to be aggressive about their strategies rather than the low risk ones.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
And last year he skipped through a level because he kept dying! Gosh.

But yeah, for this sort of event, it seems better to keep it more for entertainment value. You don't want the runners freaking out over WRs and possibly getting pissy which might turn some people off from watching/donating.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I liked this year that Blueglass kept getting donations in his name or for him to do stuff, what a fuckin bro

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I'd really be surprised if they broke any records at all.
That being said, I don't know that they DO NOT break records, so if anyone knows of any record-breaking runs, I'd like to see them!
smile.png
I definitely watched one where they mentioned that they broke the record at the end of the run, but I don't remember which one it was, it wasn't one of the ones mentioned here yet. It was mentioned all non-nonchalantly too, with no more celebration than they do at the end of every speed run.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Speed Demos Archives and Speed Runs Live websites should have videos of all world records.

If you follow SDA on twitter they almost always tweet when a WR is broken and a link to the video, which isn't very often. I'd say the account tweets more during AGDQ and SGDQ than the entire rest of the year.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
This is my first year watching it so my opinion may not count for diddly, but I don't think they should focus on the intense, serious, attempts at WR runs. As mentioned, it is NOT the environment for it, and it's way more interesting in this kind of event to see more interaction with the devs, the commentary from the peanut gallery, make sure donation comments get read, glitch runs and explanations, etc. This is a once-a-year event and should be treated as such. WR attempts are what the other 358 days of the year are for.

I really enjoyed watching this year but felt like the devs that called in didn't get fair engagement and some of the runners were just TOO serious and kinda messed with the flow of things (ironically). There's definitely things they can do better overall at the event but I really don't think trying harder to beat WR is one of them.

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
There's a stream which does a show called Sunday Sequence Break on twitch (some of the same guys from the marathon obviously) and they announce a bunch of records every week. From my understanding, people just usually don't submit them to SDA unless they're significant improvements or they think they're done with the game.