Awesome Games Done Quick 2014: Speedrunning For Charity - January 5th-11th

Needless

Toe Sucker
i kept falling asleep during CT
frown.png
didnt get enough sleep the 2 nights before from boozing it up lol
gonna have to go back and watch that among a bunch of other games.

Glad they're still doing the bonus stream, apparently its for 3-4 days

Neph_sl

shitlord
I stopped watching and went to bed around when he fought Masamune.

I find the RPG speedruns to be just as good as the shorter action games like Super Metroid or Contra. There's a lot of glitches that they do to bypass things and then they have to compensate being under-leveled / under-geared in order to get through things that they can't glitch through. It cuts a lot of stuff down, but the runs are essentially a marathon instead of a sprint, so there's a lot of mental stamina involved to not fuck up the glitches.

I find it interesting, but it definitely isn't something that I would watch in one session.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I kind of want to get into speed running, I feel it's some subculture that I never knew really existed.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wow just announced this event has raised more money than all of their previous events combined.
SDA retweeted someone saying that 4 years ago, AGDQ was 10 people in someones basement and they raised $10k... 4 years later they raised over a million.

Solariss

Golden Squire
Anyone have a link to a page where you can watch all the separate games from this year? I haven't been able to find anything

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I could totally get into Super Metroid speedrunning.
No offense but you're gonna beat that game a thousand times and its a total ball breaker to be able to half the shit they did.

That said, I hope to see you up in there one year lol. Shit is definitely hype and I bet people started trying to do that shit the next day.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
One thing I pulled from this is the chat on twitch is fucking awful. What a bunch of degenerate fucks. I just kept maximizing the stream so it didn't interfere.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
One thing I pulled from this is the chat on twitch is fucking awful. What a bunch of degenerate fucks. I just kept maximizing the stream so it didn't interfere.
Or popup the stream or switch to videos tab to block chat. Twitch chat is usually hilarious but trolling a good cause is pretty lame.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
The chat is good during boring streams. There was some Scottish guy playing Jazz Jackrabbit, which was pretty boring, so they were breaking his balls about the accent. There was also some nerd girl hanging around talking to him, so they were making comments about the two of them. The best part of course was that he struggled a little bit at times because he was using someone else's keyboard. So he made the comment that he should've brought his own, "she'sa beast". Chat lit up like crazy with shit like "KEYBOARD WAIFU" spam. haha

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
I watched a lot of it and I didn't think the chat was offensive. The only time I really noticed it was after they hit 1 mill and were doing the 'closing ceremony' a lot of people were shitting on the monitor text and a few of the speakers.

Really though what was more offensive was how often the runners would cut off the reading of donations. There were sooo many times the announcer would say something akin to "Hey guys thanks for doing this. My father just died fro-" "Oh gosh I can't believe I landed that jump, it's really RNG dependent hcck hcck" "...from pancreatic cancer so I'm donating to help spare others from the pain me and my family experienced." I know they're focused on the game and all but sheesh...

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Chat was usually just spam related to the game that was being played.. something sad happen? Crying face. Usually the chat just react to whatever was happening.

Obviously there are going to be trolls, but for the most part it seemed game related.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Twitch chat is always annoying, never funny and just full of basement dwelling meme worshippers. Kappa kappa FrankerZ FrankerZ is not good chat. It is retarded.

Needless

Toe Sucker
y u bros hating on twitch chat!?

You know 90% of those streams would be bland as fuck without it
rrr_img_56552.png

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Twitch chat is good for some of the smaller streamers that I watch, like Sinister (Blind folded punch out) and Feasel and Garrison (Super Metroid guy) because with only ~300 or less viewers they are always interacting with people. I imagine Sinister is about to blow up and maybe Garrison too, but who knows.

Sodapoppin probably has the worst chat. That guy has an entire subculture devoted to him. He has something close to 3,000 subs so after splitting with Twitch he makes like $7500 a month in sub revenue not to mention donations... and this is all for playing World of Warcraft and generally being retarded.