Awesome Games Done Quick 2016 - 2019

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Many of the glitches or skips require very technical execution to perform in addition to knowledge of the mechanics. It's not usually just "do this".

The answer to your question is probably the game with the largest gaps between the WR time and other times, but number of speedrunners would also be a factor in that number.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think the souls series are difficult at least from the fact that the games are inherently difficult as is, and the guys are beating them in ~1 hr

Simas_sl

shitlord
Many of the glitches or skips require very technical execution to perform in addition to knowledge of the mechanics. It's not usually just "do this".
Yeah, I get that. That'd fall under technical difficulty. Like one frame links that are not glitches can be hard and glitches can be hard to pull off. Other dude seemed to be saying the hardest speed run could be based on how much time it took people to figure out the glitches. I'd be surprised to find out many people judge speed run difficulty that way. In any event, that's not what I was looking for.

I thought someone would just say Battletoads or Megaman or something. Or some random Japanese game I've never heard of. You guys are talking about WR times (what?) and number of speed runners etc. There aren't just some consensus hardest games to speed run?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The worst games of all time are likely the worst ones to speed run, but likely no one even plays them let alone tries to crack shortcuts and glitches for them. The worst game(s) probably involve a lot of one-hit kills, RNG, and no respawn recovery. So in other words you have to be perfect AND lucky enough to not run into bullshit.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I thought someone would just say Battletoads or Megaman or something. Or some random Japanese game I've never heard of. You guys are talking about WR times (what?) and number of speed runners etc. There aren't just some consensus hardest games to speed run?
WR. World Record.

A game that has major variance in the times runners achieve is likely a difficult speed run. You sound like you are just asking what some difficult games are though. The "to speed run" qualifier is confusing because it's a moving target. Is a game difficult to speed run because it's difficult to complete or because it's difficult to complete quickly? Now define quickly.

Simas_sl

shitlord
I thought speed running just meant completing games as fast as possible. I wasn't looking for a phd thesis on the subject or philosophical discussions over the true meaning of difficulty. I assumed people who were into speed runs would talk about the hardest games to speed run, like people into Magic talk about the best magic card, or people into football talk about the greatest quarterback. Guess I was wrong.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
tetris & f-zero games always seemed hardest to me.. and that new one where you jump around cleaning dust.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think the souls series are difficult at least from the fact that the games are inherently difficult as is, and the guys are beating them in ~1 hr
Difficulty from games generally stems from being unknown. Once you know all the mechanics, all the maps and all the spawns you can finish even difficult games like Battletoads fairly easily.

Tenks

Yeah the hardest games would be ones that you need to play quickly while also making decisions. *In general* most speed runs don't require you to make decisions. You know what to do at all points in time and what should happen. Sometimes there is some light RNG but mostly the RNG is more about just fucking you out of a few seconds. But playing speed Tetris is actually a skill. It is almost like playing competitive Starcraft where you have to play it very quickly while also making educated decisions.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I thought speed running just meant completing games as fast as possible. I wasn't looking for a phd thesis on the subject or philosophical discussions over the true meaning of difficulty. I assumed people who were into speed runs would talk about the hardest games to speed run, like people into Magic talk about the best magic card, or people into football talk about the greatest quarterback. Guess I was wrong.
Everybody enjoys different games, news at 10. There is no golden egg in terms of hardest game. The hardest ones are probably the ones that require actual skill and intense timing. If you watch the dude a few years beating super monkey ball it's nuts.

It's like this crazy sub culture. People just play the games they love.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
The Axiom Verge run, if you even want to call it that, was such a hilarious train wreck of choking with the dev on skype. Heard the L4D/L4D2 runs were equally as terrible so will be checking those out when I can.

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
How'd they manage to fuck the YouTube audio up so badly ... I can't make it though more than a minute of Fire Emblem if toy skip to where the run starts).

Tenks

I decided to read the AGDQ rules for fun and I most enjoyed the rule where if you smell you will be asked to leave

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Metroid, Zelda, Half-Life and Portal today. The schedule has a SETUP3 which is an incentive for super Metroid 2 players 1 controller after Zelda