Awesome Games Done Quick 2016 - 2019

Szlia

I think it was less impressive than Tetris because of the lack of decision making, but that was still very very insane. I liked the fact the guy said he made the notes scrolling faster to not have time to think and just let pattern recognition and muscle memory play through the songs!

Anyone know why the arrows have different colors to them by the way?

The run of Talos Principle was also pretty amusing for someone who played the game, because all the dumb exploits I tried to do when I was stuck on puzzles (jumping off items, stacking stuff weirdly, jumping off slippery scenery geometry, clipping through energy doors) and that never worked for me, the runner did about 10 per minute for more than an hour!

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Turns out Neo exited the Matrix in Norway.

And holy fuck the spinning, two direction reading. Absurd.

Szlia

I personally did not see how the spinning added to difficulty considering there is only one type of input per column. The challenge presented by the cross eyed reading is pretty clear though!

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Blast Corps run this morning was pretty based with the Rare developer. Hadn't realized that basically 7 people, mostly fresh out of college, had made the game with having to use the $250,000 Silicon Graphic dev kits with none of them having any 3d experience.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the dev was really good. I put so many hours in to that game it was cool seeing it run through to bring back memories like FUCK I remember that shitty stage!

Anyone know why the arrows have different colors to them by the way?
The colors should represent where in the beat the arrows land. The red arrows on the beat, blue half beat, yellow quarter beat and purple eighth beat.

I never played stepmania, but this was how it was in DDR (different colors though). It helps to differentiate which arrows you would hit and when. Obviously not really needed if you are relying solely on muscle memory anyway.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Unless there is some amazng RNG manipulation I'm not aware of, those sound awful.
I believe D1 relies on RNG manipulation to make the stairs down spawn near the stairs up. I'm hoenstly not sure how they're ran. D1 is only 25m and D2 is 1:45.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
D2 run having really shitty RNG it seems like, spent like 20mins farming the countess for runes. Running world records on D2 sounds like the worst. Char name is ChrisWilson, PoE reddit giving like 4k+ to get it lol.

D1 wasn't really RNG manipulation, although there was a lot of reloading saves when he went the wrong way until he found the right way, but game's really short, he uses duping to buy all his shit and abuses low life no stun mechanics and phase random teleport with quick saves/reloads when it doesn't go the right direction.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I knew the NES games were not memory safe but the FF1 70 stairs trick is something I hadn't seen before. Funny that the final boss of the game isn't coded to never flee from you.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I really wish PJ did more runs. Not going to complain about the socially awkward runners because that is just how it is, but the real funny and interactive runners make it a billion % more interesting.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Thought the Mario 2 run on the schedule was going to be the Japanese Mario 2 done by the guy that did it the last couple times. That dude was good and entertaining unlike what just was shown.

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
I assume you mean Big John (aka gamej06). He's been around for a few of the runs but don't think he was actually scheduled to run anything (he wants to do NES Open Golf but they never accept it for some reason).

And yeah, I always enjoy PJ's commentary of his runs even if the game itself isn't that entertaining (like Battleblock -- that shit is boring after a couple levels).