Awesome Games Done Quick 2016 - 2019

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Bloodborne run is about lame. Couple of neat clips but I'm pretty sure there is more time spent looking at the loading screen than actually speed running. Would like to see a soul level 1 actual speed run or something at SGDQ.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
That was a really boring Bloodborne run. The all bosses (including DLC) run is far more entertaining and only about 30 minutes longer so hopefully they do that in the future. Speaking of Bloodborne they havea shirtfrom one of the AGDQ sponsors for about $15 with shipping with three of that going to the charity. Ordered a couple for my daughters as they are obsessed with the doll and have birthdays coming up. Also, should be good for some laughs when they try to explain it to other parents.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Constant heat damage on Metroid reverse boss order is sick. Already two deaths sadly but I am impressed by the 1-2 second from death bug farming.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
So, best runs of this AGDQ schedule to watch? Any of these speedruns stick out above and beyond the others? I liked the Mario Maker levels, although I pretty much like any of the Super Mario runs on NES/SNES.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Super metroid is always good and this run didn't disappoint. I also enjoyed the Super Mario Kart race. As you said the Super Mario races are decent. The Mega Man 2 runner played a very near perfect game.

Watch TASbot break Mario Kart 64 for a good laugh.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I watched a few of these speed run games, and it seems like the goal of these runs is to openly cheat and glitch these old classic games as much as they possibly can. Like I was watching a chrono trigger speed run and right away they use some bug to make the team deal crazy damage and become near immune to magic, and they start using more bugs to walk through walls and just straight up skip storyline bosses etc. I tried a few others and seems like every game it's just a test of how many ways can they cheat.

If they're not going to speed run a game legit, they may as well just pop in a game genie and disable random encounters, etc. It was disappointing.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Welcome to speed runs? And who the fuck has time to sit down and "speed run" something like Chrono Trigger without abusing glitches. What's it gonna be, 12 hours? 20? Fuck all that, it's still kind of boring at the ~4 hours or whatever.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I think you're drastically over simplifying what you call cheating here. Most of these games have had years if not decades of research, community, trial and error, etc... etc... poured in to them to push them to their limits. And yes, most of the time that involves stumbling on a method of breaking the code or just knowing so much about the game you get strange results. If it was just as easy as popping in a game genie no one would care. The runs vary in quality for 100s of reasons, but to dismiss it as just cheating to finish the game is short sighted.

Take a look at the different categories they have for runs, from 100%, non tool assisted, reverse boss orders, and many others. You may find runs more suited to your taste.

Rhuma_sl

shitlord
You learn a lot from speed runners, like the legend of Zelda on the nes is a good one, only 32-34 minutes from start to finish and you see a lot of tricks and a good bit of info on how the game works, who the fuck knew you get items on every 8th kill if you don't get hit. Game is still incredibly hard to do perfectly but darkwing duck is a monster at executing it near flawlessly.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The Final Fantasy IV was crazy too. Who figured out that monster encounters are based on a possible 255 seeds determined by what frame you press start on and then exactly on which step what encounter will occur based on that seed and how to route a path through a 4+ hour game. Stuff like that fascinates me, but I'm a huge nerd.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mario maker and all the Mario kart runs as already mentioned were great, especially two players one controller was cool. Super Metroid reverse boss order was good. Punch Out blind folded race was really cool as well.

Yoshi's Island race was fun to watch. They basically glitch the game about five minutes in and force the credits.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I watched a few of these speed run games, and it seems like the goal of these runs is to openly cheat and glitch these old classic games as much as they possibly can. Like I was watching a chrono trigger speed run and right away they use some bug to make the team deal crazy damage and become near immune to magic, and they start using more bugs to walk through walls and just straight up skip storyline bosses etc. I tried a few others and seems like every game it's just a test of how many ways can they cheat.

If they're not going to speed run a game legit, they may as well just pop in a game genie and disable random encounters, etc. It was disappointing.
Thats why I only find certain runs of certain games of certain categories entertaining. Like the Ninja Gaiden runs are generally fun to watch because it is straight up playing the game. Often times I find the platformers the best ones. The runs of the "I Wanna Be The Guy" genre games are usually really fun to watch as well.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The marathon typically has a good genre variety from old nintendo games that can be beaten in under an hour with awesome play and memorization to RPGs that can be glitched, skipped, and shortcutted. Often times I find the games that get 3 or 4-way raced are the most enjoyable to watch because there are things that can go wrong but super risky exploits not usually done in a marathon that people can use to catch up. And then there's the TAS Mario Kart run which breaks both the game and your mind.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord

What you are also missing is that many of these glitches they exploit to shave precious seconds off their time is much more difficult to achieve than playing the game straight.

Tenks

He's just saying as a viewer not really knowing what is going on watching super glitchy runs is not very entertaining.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I feel like even the most socially awkward runners still explain glitches pretty well... not sure how you could not know what was going on unless you have no sound or really aren't paying attention, which I get because a lot of times I just have this running on a second computer non stop.

Tenks

Its visual feedback. Hitting a very precise jump is very obvious visually. Hitting a clip at a wall that is pixel perfect is technically harder but lacks the feedback.