Azrayne's drug geek thread

nate_sl

shitlord
Interesting thread, and as someone who is a life long dabbler I agree with pretty much everything you've said.

I've never been physically addicted to any drug before, though I smoke daily. I've always been a weekend warrior, but after a long weekend I'll feel guilty and just smoke during the week. Then Friday comes, and the cycle pretty much repeats itself. I like uppers mostly, but every blue moon I'll get down on some psychedelics or whatever Joe Dealer happens to have that week.

I think my biggest take away from being involved in the scene is that everyone would be better off if this stuff was regulated and you could just get it OTC. Most of the societal problems drugs cause are because the user base is paying 5x what the cost should be because the shit is illegal... Which leads to many other problems when handling transactions, since people selling the stuff tend to be criminals.

My biggest concern is cognitive decline. I don't notice many other serious health effects, but I tend to stay away from the really hard stuff (mostly because that crowd scares me). I have a professional job and I can afford the shit, which is about 90% of the problem with drugs, and I generally don't think it has a negative effect on my life.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Have you suffered any related injures or morbidity so far, Az?

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I have tried a bunch of stuff, but weed is my thing. Tolerances definitely suck though, especially since i have been a pot smoker for about 25 years now. When it was available I also did a lot of acid in my younger days. I never really took to stuff like coke and heroin though and I only did opium sparingly, usually just mixed with weed.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I haven't done much recently, but my history is much like your Az, tried MDMA and loved it, got into looking a blue light all day. It's interesting back then we thought the whole MDMA neurotoxic thing was not really proven.

I recently got high on opiates from an OTC medicine recently. My friend claimed he could get high from loperamide, I did not believe him but i saw him take 400mg and appear clearly high...

So i did some research and saw others agreed it works and tried it myself. It's a legit longlasting Opiate high with a bit of an anti-cholrgenic affect as it makes your mouth super dry. I wonder if you've heard of people using this or how long it will be legal?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Opiates and junkies really disturb and sicken me. The way it ruins lives, what it turns people into, what it puts family/loved ones through.

However it does fascinate me in a way as well. I've worked with and known my fair share of users of various severity. I don't hate junkies as a person, I guess I just hate the addiction and everything that revolves around it. Obviously legalization would be the best thing for overall harm reduction but good luck seeing that in the US during our lifetimes.

Thanks for the posts Azrayne, best new thread in a while. /popcorn

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Man Azrayne.. we woulda been good rl friends back in the day.. I always felt like I was one of the few sane users that I knew. A friend of mine was huge into bluelight for years through high school and beyond (if you ever heard stories of the florida party that got busted, he was there). We'd test our MDMA during our rave years in high school, and avoid taking them more often then every 3-4 weeks as it took that long for your body to replenish the seratonin.

Never felt like an 'addict', just an informed recreational user. Tried lsd, shrooms, K, benzos, coke, weed, etc.. never a problem until I tried opiates. The physical withdrawl symptoms really got me. The worst part was, I didn't like to take very much, I never wanted to be 'high' and nodding out, but I'd rather be high then in withdrawl. So, if the only thing available was something super strong, that's what I took. I liked the small euphoric feeling as it was hitting you. I'd take small doses, but more often, just to prevent it from peaking. If my friends were snorting 30mg roxies, I was breaking it into quarters or halves instead.
The worst part? To this day, I still think I'm a better person when I take a small amount of opiates. I have energy, I'm outgoing, funnier, motivated, friendly, etc.. Non-biased 3rd parties that had no idea I was taking opiates have verified it even.
The problem is, if I don't have access to a steady supply of lower potency opiates, I eventually am in a situation where I have to take something stronger and quickly build up a higher tolerance again.

So, a few years after being clean, I was involved in a car accident and started having actual pain. But, I didn't really want to get back on the rollercoaster of normal opiates between being high or in slight withdrawl, even if I had found a doctor to prescribe it, so after jumping through a bunch of hoops I now take suboxone as a potentially permanent pain medication basically. I've found it's really the best fit for me, as it's very difficult to actually get high on it, and also lasts extremely long. When I first saw this doctor, he treated me like any other addict coming in, but after awhile he realized my situation is quite different then most and now he sees me on different days then the normal suboxone patients.
I really hope that in a few years we'll see buphrenorphine being prescribed as an actual pain medication for some people with mild pain rather then percocet/vicodin/etc.. I think it'll prevent a lot more accidental addictions. It's much easier to taper off and quite since the effects are milder and longer lasting. There's no extreme 'drop' when it stops working that makes you want to take more. I've forgotten to even take a dose for 6+ hours, for example.
If only the regulatory committees in charge would pull their heads out of their collective ass about the drug. There's more restrictions and procedures for being prescribed it then their is all the hardcore opiates like morphine, oxycodone and such that are effectively heroin. It's less damaging, but yet because it's 'only' prescribed for addicts, you pay out the nose for it and have to see the doctor every X weeks.

I also agree that in my experience, the majority of problems with drug users stems from the fact that it's illegal. That day/week their normal hookup is out, they spend all their time looking for a hookup (rather then doing productive things) and then that person takes advantage of the situation and charges out of the ass (causing the addict more economic problems and into more desperate actions). Yes, there's plenty of people that would still abuse it if it was legal, but there's also a lot of people I met who are pretty responsible at the times they have a steady, easy and cheap hookup for their fixes.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Interesting to see how many other's have the "started taking MDMA, really found drugs interesting, then i did Opiates and got addicted and it sucked" Seems like Me + quite a few more.

Personally, Opiates have no like 0 immediate downside to taking them, you feel great, can still function ect.. No nasty hangover the next day... Then you get addicted and it's hell.

I'm a drug addict (opiates, although have done pretty much everything over the years) and among my group of friends there tends to be a strong correlation between compulsive drug use and playing an MMORPG. Guess it is good to know that I'm not the only addict on this forum, although I'm curious at to what the % overlap between addiction and MMORPG playing actually is.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm a drug addict (opiates, although have done pretty much everything over the years) and among my group of friends there tends to be a strong correlation between compulsive drug use and playing an MMORPG. Guess it is good to know that I'm not the only addict on this forum, although I'm curious at to what the % overlap between addiction and MMORPG playing actually is.
Both give you a great feeling of power..

I strongly suspect it's a very high correlation between them and actually wrote a lot about this a couple years ago if i can find the file..

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Cool thread, great read.

Enzie, what's the Florida party you mentioned? Is it the one the kid killed his parents?

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Interesting thread, and as someone who is a life long dabbler I agree with pretty much everything you've said.

I've never been physically addicted to any drug before, though I smoke daily. I've always been a weekend warrior, but after a long weekend I'll feel guilty and just smoke during the week. Then Friday comes, and the cycle pretty much repeats itself. I like uppers mostly, but every blue moon I'll get down on some psychedelics or whatever Joe Dealer happens to have that week.

I think my biggest take away from being involved in the scene is that everyone would be better off if this stuff was regulated and you could just get it OTC. Most of the societal problems drugs cause are because the user base is paying 5x what the cost should be because the shit is illegal... Which leads to many other problems when handling transactions, since people selling the stuff tend to be criminals.

My biggest concern is cognitive decline. I don't notice many other serious health effects, but I tend to stay away from the really hard stuff (mostly because that crowd scares me). I have a professional job and I can afford the shit, which is about 90% of the problem with drugs, and I generally don't think it has a negative effect on my life.
The cognitive decline thing is complicated. When you say upper what are we talking? Huge difference between coke, pharmaceutical amphetamine, street meth, good quality MDMA, bad quality MDMA, the dozens of iterations of substitute amphetamines/cathinones, etc.

But as a really broad rule, my observation/experience is that pure cognitive function (that is, not including mood, which seems to be much more easily influenced, especially by MDMA) isn't influenced that much unless a) you gulp absurd amounts of MDMA (or whatever is being sold as MDMA) every weekend for years on end, it's a drug best spaced out at least every 6 - 8 weeks, ideally 2 - 4 times a year, b) you're a daily user of meth for years on end and not too bright to begin with. I know decade+ meth addicts, both recovered and still using, who are intelligent and articulate individuals, one of whom even had a brain scan confirming he'd undergone brain damage in his 15 years of daily meth use, c) you're a long term, daily user of alcohol, GABAergic tranquilizers (benzos like xanax/valium etc, barbiturates or quualudes), since it has an almost identical mode of action, presumably GHB/GBL/14b (though I don't know of any study in that area, it's just not common enough as a drug of dependence). These will damage your brain just as badly as meth, especially if you use in constant heavy binges on top of daily dependence, or d) you have a once off event which causes serious damage, such as taking a bad RC like MPTP (which happened a long time ago, but with how many new RC's are coming out every week, I'm sure we'll see a repeat if things keep going the way they are) or having a near-fatal overdose where your supply of oxygen to the brain was cut off for several minutes.

That's leaving out people who were unstable to begin with (predisposition to psychosis or similar) and then went and spent decades smoking weed everyday and taking hallucinogens every weekend, heavy stimulant use, which influenced their predisposition (the exact causal relationships in these cases is tricky, but I suspect there is at least some causal link), and they end up with a serious psychiatric disorder, because of course they're going to slide downhill cognitively if they don't get early intervention.

The weekend warrior thing works for some, just watch out for that voice which says you still have some left over and you're tired and you could use a Monday-morning pick-me-up, cause that voice is the path to daily use.

As far as legalization, I used to be a 100% supporter, now I'm not so sure. I'm absolutely behind it with marijuana, I think the fact that weed is illegal (or even quasi-illegal like it is in my state - or the fact that it varies from state to state even here in Australia) is absurd. I'd like to see criminal penalties for regular users and small time dealers (who are almost all addicts and/or pawns of the big boys) severely minimized or done away with in favor of treatment and psycho-social aid. And I'd like to see drug law re-assessed from a purely scientific perspective, with the policy individualized for each drug to hit the sweet spot between causing the least harm from the drug itself and causing the least harm from futile attempts to prevent it's use. The problem is that that sweet spot is different for every drug

eg. something like GHB being legalized would probably benefit society if it was sold in diluted, regulated beverages ala. alcohol, since it's basically a form of alcohol which is far less toxic to the body, as far as we know - if it turns out to be carcinogenic or something, then obviously that changes. I wouldn't want to see heroin or other strong opiates sold over the counter, but I think a system similar to what they use in some contintental European countries, where they allow addicts to come into clinics, dose themselves with regulated and clean pharmaceutical heroin, then go about their day, would be much better. Maybe it could be expanded into a more general addiction management system - they could be offered XR pill doses to take if they have to go to work, and so on. It de-romanticizes heroin use and the street scene in the eyes of those who idolized Kurt Cobain or Kiedas/Frusciante or whoever too much or got the wrong message watching Requiem for a Dream, it largely kills the market because all of the heavy users are getting their supply directly from the government and so there are no dealers around to sell to new users, and so on. Of course there's always the law of unintended consequences, which is why it will have to be a slow and arduous process, with each adjustment one way or the other being studied for the effects it has. And the drug market is constantly shifting (most recently by going global and online in the form of research chemical vendor websites and deep net markets), so regulation has to change to keep up with that. But it absolutely needs to be treated as a public health issue, and the goal needs to be the balance between harm to the user/society by use of the drug and harm to the user/society by regulation of the drug.

So it's going to be a long, slow process of decades, in my opinion. But it has to be done. /rant off

Have you suffered any related injures or morbidity so far, Az?
Short answer: no not really.

Nothing major on a physical level. Two minor OD's of the "started turning a bit blue around the lips but woke up when I was slapped around a bit" variety (there's another post in the thread about Johnny49's "love life" about the time I kinda-accidentally dosed myself with naloxone), but as a rule with opiates, I was exceedingly careful about dosing (easy with pharmaceuticals, and excepting the ripoff case I mentioned in my last post, I always titrated my heroin doses very carefully every time I purchased a new batch). So yeah, harm reduction has it's benefits - almost all of the circle of friends and acquaintances I was using with at the time were mostly pretty switched on about being careful when getting high (it helped that we used pharms 90% of the time, so measuring dose was easy, and Australia has an exceptional needle exchange program which hands out equipment like micron filters and butterfly clips to make injecting pharms safe - without micron filters, the pill binders accumulate in your body and cause havoc)

Physically, considering the lifestyle I lived for those years, I could be a lot worse. I'm working on losing the weight I put on while on opiates (12kg down in the last 3 months, which I'm pretty happy with). My veins around my elbows are pretty fucked up - I've always had small shitty veins, and the extra weight didn't help, so I had a really hard time injecting anywhere but the crook of my elbow - I did my best to rotate, but in the end they mostly gave out, although they're seemingly healing - getting blood tests done isn't nearly as bad as it was 6 months or a year ago, when the nurse often had to use another site entirely after I'd gulped down a ton of water to try inflate my veins.

My liver function is fine, which surprised me considering the heavy use and all the paracetemol I must have taken in when I started on codeine and the heavy drinking which usually accompanied my meth use. My stomach lining isn't - there's no bleed as far as the tests showed, but the ibuprofen did some kind of damage and I sometimes get severe stomach aches when my stomach is completely empty.

The worst disease I picked up is gonorrhea (rave chicks...).

I get some side effects from the medication I take, valium messes with my verbal recall a little, although I'm hopeful that's an acute symptom and not a long term one, and the suboxone - which I'm painstakingly tapering off - kill a lot of my sex drive and, lets just say, I don't poop regularly or with great ease :|

The place I'm probably worst off is in my cardiovascular health. I was never in great shape to begin with - before I started with drugs I was a fairly hardcore gamer (I'm sure you're shocked), so I was, unfit and underweight, with a shitty diet of frozen food and snacks. Then I started using lots of MDMA and meth and LSD/K on the side most weekends, which I doubt was beneficial. It got to the point after about 4 years where I couldn't take meth without having downers in my system because my heartrate would skyrocket to an uncomfortable level and I'd often end up with a full blown panic attack, which often happened anyway as I'd keep smoking meth till I ran out of both, then the downers would wear off while the meth would be active for 6 hours or so (which left me with some residual anxiety, thus the valium script, although I suspect there was a predisposition there even before the drugs).

I once smoked a variant of meth called 4-MAR which has a much longer half life (along with a slightly different high, a bit less tweaky, a bit more euphoric, very smooth and functional), and in the end I ate 75mg of seroquel (an antipsychotic the meth crowd use to crash, almost as good as xanax for knocking you out, although the hangover is terrible) and still couldn't sleep 18 hours after my last toke. Eventually the people I was staying with insisted on driving me to the ER because I was starting to wig out (seroquel does weird things to your mind when you don't sleep on it - no idea how this shit is beneficial to schizophrenics), they knocked me to the front of the queue when I checked in with a heartrate of 190bpm, although after running a quick test they just left me there hallucinating in the bed for a few hours, then gave me some pills which chilled me out and I went home and passed out a few hours later. Felt pretty bad about the whole incident, since I should have known better than to smoke such a long lasting upper without strong sedatives on hand.

I've had some weirdness happen with my heart since which my doctor suspected goes beyond the usual anxiety symptoms. I woke up one morning - no drugs for months at this stage - and my heartrate shot up into the 170's almost instantly as I was walking to the bathroom. It went back down slowly over an hour or two and I put it off as a panic attack, some kind of flashback to all those shitty comedowns where I'd run out of downers but my system was still pumping with speed, was a little embarrassed, but left it at that. But I mentioned it to my doctor and she freaked out, since apparently anxiety isn't supposed to send your heart rate above 140 or somesuch, subjected me to a battery of tests (none of which showed anything, but that's apparently not conclusive). So I'm not sure - she threw around the word arrhythmia a lot. I don't know if excessive stimulant use can cause damage that wouldn't show up on all the testing they did. I dunno, any medical people reading? Feel free to chime in.

The real damage is the embarrassing state my life is in. Most of the people I went to highschool/Uni with are now starting careers, families, buying houses, getting married - I don't even have a car, or a degree, I'm crashing with my family and I'm working on just getting my physical and mental health back to where it was before I went down the rabbit hole and trying to figure out what I'm going to do with my life now that I actually have one again (for which I guess I'm grateful - most of the people I climbed down that rabbit hole with don't look like they're coming back out, one way or another, and one passed away a few years ago). So I'm pretty much permanently 8 years behind in the whole game of life - which is a game I was never really keen on playing to begin with, but going back to the drugs is just gonna ruin me one way or the other. It's not a comfortable position.

My social life is also more or less totally dead. All of my friendships for 8 years were formed/based around drugs, so now socializing equals going back to getting high by default, which is tricky. How do you just start up a whole new social life when you're closer to 30 than 20 and have this gaping hole in your past you can't just drop into daily conversation? I remember reading an article once which claimed that drug addicts stop aging psychologically once they become an addict, essentially ending up with a case of arrested development (not the show
frown.png
), and I think there's a lot of truth to it. I mean I've matured a lot psychologically since I was a teenager and started getting high (some of that maturing was from the time I spent in the scene), but my life and my mindset are both in very different places to those around me in my agegroup who didn't do the drug thing, better I think in some ways, but worse in a lot too, and I'm definitely dealing for the first time with some psychological stuff from my childhood and family background which I never addressed before (I wasn't abused or anything, just typical first world problems). So that gets weird and frustrating, but I'm working through it and just focusing on the small, daily improvements.

Anyway, enough emo bitching.

Didn't expect so much interest in drugs here. Gonna reply to everything, just give me some time (I have a tendency towards verbosity you may have noticed :| )

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just saw an article where heroine mixed with fentanyl is supposed to make the rounds and kill some people locally. I thought to my self they better stock up on suboxone or we're going to have another Russian theatre on our hands. This thread is memorable.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
You mentioned using micron filters rather than cotton the way they do in all of the movies/tv shows. What kind did you use? In a previous job I made use of some 13mm .08 ?m filters which had to be drawn on a vacuum to pass anything through. The whole setup seemed like it would be wasteful in a drug use application though.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I haven't done much recently, but my history is much like your Az, tried MDMA and loved it, got into looking a blue light all day. It's interesting back then we thought the whole MDMA neurotoxic thing was not really proven.

I recently got high on opiates from an OTC medicine recently. My friend claimed he could get high from loperamide, I did not believe him but i saw him take 400mg and appear clearly high...

So i did some research and saw others agreed it works and tried it myself. It's a legit longlasting Opiate high with a bit of an anti-cholrgenic affect as it makes your mouth super dry. I wonder if you've heard of people using this or how long it will be legal?
Yeah the MDMA thing is still contentious - a lot of people will claim that it's as safe as aspirin (which is stupid, because aspirin actually kills a fair few people), then scientists will do the whole "this is your brain on drugs" routine, and nobody knows what to believe, so they just believe what they choose to, as a rule. It's even complicated by harm reduction advocates like UK scientist David Nutt, the guy who was fired as a Drug Adviser because he said taking MDMA killed less people than horse riding - which is true, but horse riding doesn't fry your serotonin receptors.

But I've seen too many people who ate pills frequently for a few years in their late teens/early 20's, then ended up with depression/anxiety disorders later down the line drugged up to the gills (could be argued that I fit into that group), and a few who just ended up completely fried, just empty eyed.

I've heard about Loperamide, a fair bit actually (it was a frequent topic of discussion on 420chan's /opi/ board). In the US it's common to take it to help with the symptoms of withdrawal - it's technically an opioid iirc, but it isn't controlled because it supposedly doesn't cross the blood brain barrier. Reports vary on the extent to which it can make you feel good, it's interesting that you got a buzz off it. Do you have an opiate tolerance/history of use? I'd be interested in knowing more about how you'd compare it to any other opiates you've taken.

I wouldn't worry about it being banned anytime soon though. It seems to be one of those "everyone is different" things, but if enough people could catch a buzz off it that they could grab loperamide from the Chemist instead of going to their dealer, I think the wider addict population (and then the media) would have caught on long ago. Nevermind that opiate addicts have enough trouble crapping as it is...

Kinda curious, how often is coke cut with shit that fucks people up?
Varies massively. You can roughly calculate it based on how close you are to South America geographically, how far down the chain you're buying it and (tied into the other two) how many times it's changed hands. If you're in South/Central America you can apparently get it fairly pure for a few dollars a gram. Probably not completely pure unless it comes straight from the production line, but it's safe to assume that almost every time it changes hands/crosses a border from there, it gets stomped on again. So if you're in the US, for your average weekend user buying from your average dealer, probably something like - once after production when the guys down there convert the coca leaves into powder, then again when it goes north and is sold to the Mexican Cartels, again after the Mexicans get it over the border and sell it to the big time domestic distributors, again when they sell it to the smaller local distributors, then if your dealer is a douchebag or an addict (and he probably is) again when he gets his hands on it. The amount it's cut each time and whether it skips any of these steps or has any steps added is what determines whether you get nice, 60 - 70% stuff or shitty 20 - 30% stuff which is mostly novacaine, laxatives and maybe some other random stimulant (anything from meth to whichever RC stim is doing the rounds that week - 4mmc was big for a while, then MDPV and one of the fluoro-amphetamines, dimethocaine hovered around for a while, no idea what it is now) or, if your dealer is a real douche, caffeine.

As far as actually "fucking people up," it depends. It used to be just novocaine, laxatives and maybe some speed or caffeine (although there was a brief period where a fairly carcinogenic cut was used, I saw some once from an old stash, but I've forgotten the name). These days there are two major things to worry about - the first is the huge amount of random RC stimulants. These are completely untested drugs created by adding or subtracting atoms from known drugs to create slight variations which are legal in some countries. Some of them are fairly harmless (for drugs), some are more dangerous than what they're replacing. Likewise, some provide amazing highs, others are pretty shitty. Only way to know is to try it - and the market is just as unregulated as the street drug market. Just because a vendor say they're selling pure MDPV, doesn't mean they aren't selling you whatever they scraped out of the bottom of their latest batch of the substitute amphetamine/cathinone of the month. And every time one gets banned, we go one step further into unknown waters. For the first time in history, there are millions of people over the world getting high on molecules that had never existed on this planet a month or two beforehand. So that's something to worry about.

The second is levamisole, which for some reason they started using to cut cocaine fairly high in the food chain (ie. in or before Mexico, because it was showing up in a lot of samples, all over the world) a few years ago. Nobody knows why, though a couple theories were floated around. The problem with levamisole (which was used as a de-worming agent until the side effects became an issue) is that it kills your white blood cell count, which is obviously not a good thing. Several regular cocaine users have ended up in hospital because of this, although it hasn't reached epidemic proportions or anything. But it's definitely not something you want to be putting in your body.

As an interesting example, in my 8 years of drug use, I've never used cocaine. Ever. Given that Australia is an island continent a considerable distance from South America, the streets aren't exactly flooded with it, and what we do get is both low quality (ie. imported around 30 - 60%, from what I remember) and extremely expensive - the average gram on the street will set you back $400AUD (about $300USD right now). Now all of our drugs are relatively expensive due to this Island Continent problem (although we're better off than places like New Zealand, Alaska and most of Scandinavia), but paying $400 (when the average income is A$75,603) for what will be, if you're lucky, 20% coke, is insanity. Obviously people do it, but it's primarily two demographics - people connected to importers who have access before it goes from the importers to the bikies to the dealers, getting cut each time, or a small niche of well off bankers, actors, "local celebrities" and the like (and the dealers who sell it to them) who do it primarily as an image thing, and just care that they can be seen emerging from the bathroom with a little bit of white powder theyaccidentallyforgot to wipe away from their nose at whatever club or party or magazine launch party they're at. If it actually keeps them awake to drink more overpriced champagne, they won't complain, but it's 90% an image thing, the actual high is secondary. It's also pretty much nonexistent outside of Sydney and Melbourne, with a bit making it's way north to the Gold Coast and Qld, since those are the places where the finance industry/celebrity culture/shipping lanes collide (heroin is also rare outside of Sydney and Melbourne, although that's mostly due to the shipping lane thing - apparently there's a fair bit in Perth which is brought back via. the Army bases located in Western Australia, but that might just be hearsay, so don't quote me on that).

The result of this (as well as being located just south of the Golden Triangle, which realized about 20 years ago that they could make a lot more money if they put industrial size meth labs next to their poppy fields) is that meth is the go-to stimulant in Aus, and not just white trash coke like it is in the US. It's actually fairly expensive ($300 will get you half a gram, it's generally sold in points, bags of 100mg, for $70), but it's also reasonable to very high quality due to the sheer quantity which goes around, so people figure they can buy a $400 gram of coke and snort it over 3 or 4 hours, or buy a $70 point of meth which will keep them going 12 - 24 hours, depending on the quality.

It's primarily a middle class drug, but it goes across the entire spectrum of society - it's massive in the IT industry for the long hours of being able to focus on coding, of course the entertainment and hospitality industries, in general it gets a lot of use just as a utilitarian drug to keep people awake and going. It's also a party drug - more or less any nightclub will have a resident dealer and people snorting/smoking in the parking lot (especially since the MDMA drought of '09 - '12, MDMA is back, but so many people got hooked on meth in the process that it's really dug in (and nearly killed the club scene in a lot of ways, people just stayed in their cars to smoke half the night, then stayed home to smoke, then stayed home to shoot up, and off they went), as well a lot of house parties and festivals. And of course it's incredibly addictive shit (especially since smoking is the most popular ROA - pipes are passed around at parties the same way a mirror loaded with coke might be at a party in the US, but smoking is intensely more addictive, and unlike coke you don't have to cook it into freebase to smoke), so a lot of these people end up using more and more, becoming full timers, spending all their money on it, resorting to crime, falling apart physically and psychologically, etc etc. It's not pretty, I've seen it happen to a shitload of people I had fun with back in the day and it sucks because the shit is everywhere and there's no pharmaceutical option for treatment like there is with opiates.

Anyway back to coke, here's an interesting article Vice did about the coke in London:London, This Is What's Actually in Your Cocaine | VICE | United Kingdom

tldr: apparently it's mostly shit, just like Australia (although they don't get overcharged as much).

Opiates and junkies really disturb and sicken me. The way it ruins lives, what it turns people into, what it puts family/loved ones through.

However it does fascinate me in a way as well. I've worked with and known my fair share of users of various severity. I don't hate junkies as a person, I guess I just hate the addiction and everything that revolves around it. Obviously legalization would be the best thing for overall harm reduction but good luck seeing that in the US during our lifetimes.

Thanks for the posts Azrayne, best new thread in a while. /popcorn
Yeah no doubt it's fucked up in a lot of ways. It's kind of like that one crazy girl you dated who was amazing in bed and really awesome when she's chilled out, but would go completely batshit over nothing at all and have crazy mood swings every other day, constant breakups and get-togethers. A wild fucked up love/hate relationship that just isn't sustainable, but you still find yourself drunk dialing her at 3am. A lot of people have that kind of freaked out out fascination with it even from an outsiders point of view (junkie lit/films are pretty much their own genre).

I'm actually pretty optimistic about drug law reform. When I first started getting high the idea of even weed being legal anywhere in the first world was ludicrous - now you guys have 2 (3?) states where it's not just decriminalized or wink wink nudge "medical," (although I am interested in the medical research going into is, especially with cancer and pain management, but there are so many fields where it has huge potential) but actually straight up legally for sale, for the first time in almost exactly 100 years. Your President and your Drug Czar actually coming out and saying that drugs need to be a health issue and not a law enforcement issue. Just the other day Nevada announced they wanted to try and pass a pilot program for heroin maintenance. Shit is really starting to snowball - of course there's a huge amount of money and industry and lobbying behind maintaining the status quo, which makes these changes even more amazing. It's an interesting time for drug policy.

Glad people are finding this stuff interesting.

Man Azrayne.. we woulda been good rl friends back in the day.. I always felt like I was one of the few sane users that I knew. A friend of mine was huge into bluelight for years through high school and beyond (if you ever heard stories of the florida party that got busted, he was there). We'd test our MDMA during our rave years in high school, and avoid taking them more often then every 3-4 weeks as it took that long for your body to replenish the seratonin.

Never felt like an 'addict', just an informed recreational user. Tried lsd, shrooms, K, benzos, coke, weed, etc.. never a problem until I tried opiates. The physical withdrawl symptoms really got me. The worst part was, I didn't like to take very much, I never wanted to be 'high' and nodding out, but I'd rather be high then in withdrawl. So, if the only thing available was something super strong, that's what I took. I liked the small euphoric feeling as it was hitting you. I'd take small doses, but more often, just to prevent it from peaking. If my friends were snorting 30mg roxies, I was breaking it into quarters or halves instead.
The worst part? To this day, I still think I'm a better person when I take a small amount of opiates. I have energy, I'm outgoing, funnier, motivated, friendly, etc.. Non-biased 3rd parties that had no idea I was taking opiates have verified it even.
The problem is, if I don't have access to a steady supply of lower potency opiates, I eventually am in a situation where I have to take something stronger and quickly build up a higher tolerance again.

So, a few years after being clean, I was involved in a car accident and started having actual pain. But, I didn't really want to get back on the rollercoaster of normal opiates between being high or in slight withdrawl, even if I had found a doctor to prescribe it, so after jumping through a bunch of hoops I now take suboxone as a potentially permanent pain medication basically. I've found it's really the best fit for me, as it's very difficult to actually get high on it, and also lasts extremely long. When I first saw this doctor, he treated me like any other addict coming in, but after awhile he realized my situation is quite different then most and now he sees me on different days then the normal suboxone patients.
I really hope that in a few years we'll see buphrenorphine being prescribed as an actual pain medication for some people with mild pain rather then percocet/vicodin/etc.. I think it'll prevent a lot more accidental addictions. It's much easier to taper off and quite since the effects are milder and longer lasting. There's no extreme 'drop' when it stops working that makes you want to take more. I've forgotten to even take a dose for 6+ hours, for example.
If only the regulatory committees in charge would pull their heads out of their collective ass about the drug. There's more restrictions and procedures for being prescribed it then their is all the hardcore opiates like morphine, oxycodone and such that are effectively heroin. It's less damaging, but yet because it's 'only' prescribed for addicts, you pay out the nose for it and have to see the doctor every X weeks.

I also agree that in my experience, the majority of problems with drug users stems from the fact that it's illegal. That day/week their normal hookup is out, they spend all their time looking for a hookup (rather then doing productive things) and then that person takes advantage of the situation and charges out of the ass (causing the addict more economic problems and into more desperate actions). Yes, there's plenty of people that would still abuse it if it was legal, but there's also a lot of people I met who are pretty responsible at the times they have a steady, easy and cheap hookup for their fixes.
Yeah man you sound like most of the guys I've hung out with. There seems to be a very cyclical pattern to a lot of drug use - start out with weed and booze, experiment with MDMA/acid/K/etc. At this point most people either get hardcore into partying with uppers, or skip straight to downers. The upper crowd burn out after a while, and swap to downers too eventually, just takes them a bit longer. Then you decide being an addict sucks, get treatment, finally get clean after a few years of back and forwards, and you're maybe back to occasionally drinking/smoking weed. Obviously not everyone does it like that and it depends on a lot of factors, but it's common enough that a lot of people I know have seen the same pattern.

You're right about opiates making you feel more functional, especially at first, and especially oxy, which has that energizing feel to it. It's a pill which makes you better at what you do, feel amazing, kills pain - who wouldn't want that? It's only when dependence and tolerance develop that shit goes out the window.

I'm on suboxone as well, the system is different here, less frustrating in ways, more in some. I tried a physio when my back first got sore, then a pain management doctor (took me two years to get a referral because I was young and male and nothing showed up on the MRI), by which point I'd already gone from eating low dose codeine pills from the chemist, to extracting big doses from those pills - at the time you could get boxes of 100x12.8mg of codeine with 200mg of ibuprofen for $14, a 20 minute CWE would give enough codeine for 2 or 3 decent highs if your tolerance is low/moderate, I actually had this massive graph of 25 or so pharmacies in close range which I'd cycle through to make sure I didn't hit each one more than every 2 weeks or so, although one or two obviously didn't give a fuck. Ironically the closest and so the one I hit up the most is now the pharmacy where I go to pick up my suboxone twice a week - to eating/snorting oxys (hah, I can remember the taste of that drip just thinking about those days) and chewing the occasional fent patch, to shooting oxys and morphine (and dabbled with the more obscure ones, but those were the mainstays), but I went in completely honest about my drug use, expecting he'd have some kind of non-opiate way of managing pain we could try out. It became pretty fucking obvious he didn't, I even had to suggest the one medication we did try (neurontin), so that was a waste (dude was also a douchebag, but that's another story). He suggested suboxone, but I blew it off at the time. It was only later when I couldn't keep up with the whole thing that I decided to tried subs - only to discover the clinics all had maxed waiting lists (a blessing in disguise as it turns out, I've heard nothing but horror stories from those clinics since) and no doctors were willing to bother going through the 8 hour or whatever training course to prescribe to a junkie.

Luckily the shrink I'd started seeing when I started having anxiety issues from the meth (poor woman had never dealt with a drug addict before, so the whole thing was new to her, but she's the only doctor other than my dentist who isn't a dick about the drug thing) was willing to do the training, and now I get a script from her. But I still had to go to the Chemist every day for 2 months to pick up my dose in the morning, then gradually over the course of 18 months they'd give me more doses and I'd go in less frequently, till I got down to twice a week. It's a stupid system for something like suboxone, I mean even in the US you guys can just get it a month at a time like a normal medication, on the flip side you guys pay a shitload for medications, especially if your insurance fucks you around, it's much simpler here (I pay a straight $5/dose, which adds up and doesn't really make sense as a system, but beats what I've heard from people in the States). It didn't fully help my back pain, but combined with a shitload of paracetemol/ibuprofen, occasional muscle relaxants and a bunch of other random treatments and lifestyle changes, the pain is down from a 5 - 7 to a 1 - 2, and I'm working on slowly tapering off it (managed 24 - 16mg really easily at 1mg/week, but hit a wall at 16 where even dropping 1/2mg makes me feel crap for days, so I guess it's gonna be a long term process).

Did you talk to Rav, Az?
Haha, no never, but I followed that whole drama when it exploded. Fucking hilarious.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Jesus. I started with ecstasy when I was 18. Before I had ever had alcohol. Before marijuana. Six times in six months back in 2000. I started feeling "dumber" and didn't enjoy that very much. But I will say the pressed pills of that day were INTENSE. Nothing like the stuff I played with in clubs between '06-'09, or the shit they're pressing today. If someone was randy enough to take two pills, you'd see them rolling around on the ground, just completely whacked out of their minds. That very nearly happened to me two of the times - my legs would give out, and any stimulation would cause orgasmic loss of motor control. The last time I took a pill in 2000, a Mitsubishi, it lasted for about 30 minutes, then I went into a crazy depressive state and I felt angry, disassociated. Didn't touch the stuff against for several years.

Smoked weed for the first time when I was 21. I didn't get "high", but I did get the munchies like a motherfucker. Ate two large bags of Doritos. I've pretty much been a consistent smoker since then, though with a couple six month gaps where everything I would get would make me allergic instead of high. Still my drug of choice, since it seems to offset the anxiety effects from my ecstasy consumption. Though I miss when I had the confidence to consume it, be bloodshot eyed in public and not give two fucks. Now I get hyper paranoid I'm going to run into someone.

Cocaine, xanax, valium, were like brothers. Back in '06, I had a six month stint where you wouldn't find me without a bag of yay in my pocket. At first it was a weekend thing, then a daily thing, then it was like smoking cigarettes - morning bump, morning break, lunch, afternoon break, after work, then a couple in the evening. I started smoking Pall Malls for the gap in the filter. Straight addicted. I knew it. And it was starting to show when I would go to family events on a Sunday after a night of binging, looking like worn out dumpster trash. I managed not to lose my job, but I certainly wasn't fostering any relationships that didn't have anything to do with doing more cocaine. It's very accurate the variability of the stuff you find. I knew when I found "good" stuff. Shitty stuff you were re-upping every 5-10 minutes, while the better stuff would ratchet you up for a good 30 minutes and every additional bump didn't feel like chasing the dragon -- it actually affected you. It made clubbing fun, and your ability to consume alcohol skyrockets. Which means your hangover+withdrawal the next day was going to be intense. Unless you had more cocaine. Or a xanax/valium to bring you down and knock you out. It was a very effective means of avoiding the withdrawal symptoms. The last time I did coke, it was a three day bender. I didn't sleep for four days, and by the end, I was so dopamine deprived I would have been OK with dying. I couldn't sleep, couldn't feel, couldn't think. It felt like I was an empty husk. I endured by chain smoking through three packs of cigarettes... My sinuses are still fucked to this day from that little stint. I still get bloody noses, scabs, and there's definite scarring.

Mushrooms are amazing. I noticed the stems would give me a body high, while the caps were fully visual. I had some amazing experiences, minus the 20 minutes where you feel like you're poisoned (because you are). I would do mushrooms again if they weren't so hard to come by. The people I used to do them with are now a bunch of whippet heads and fuck that nonsense. 2ci (2,5-dimethoxy-4-iodophenethylamine) was like mushrooms on steroids without the happy, giggly parts. Just a straight mind fuck, and it lasted about an hour too long. Though when it ended, there was no hangover or recovery like cocaine or meth. I just drove home and went to bed.

I've done meth twice, once as a dare (powder), once thinking it was cocaine (crystal). Fun, lovely, a lot like ecstasy, but fuck that stuff. The hangover is brutal!

Dabbled in various pills, but they all tend to fuck up my intestines. Such as your various codeines (percocet, hydrocodone, etc). Probably why I never touched heroin.

Promethazine is awesome.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
Your psychiatrist had never treated a drug addict? I literally have the exact opposite problem in my practice. Is Australia real life?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Your psychiatrist had never treated a drug addict? I literally have the exact opposite problem in my practice. Is Australia real life?
I guess he meant an opiate addict, since he described meth as being the really big AUS drug.

Mushrooms are amazing. I noticed the stems would give me a body high, while the caps were fully visual. I had some amazing experiences, minus the 20 minutes where you feel like you're poisoned (because you are). I would do mushrooms again if they weren't so hard to come by. The people I used to do them with are now a bunch of whippet heads and fuck that nonsense. 2ci (2,5-dimethoxy-4-iodophenethylamine) was like mushrooms on steroids without the happy, giggly parts. Just a straight mind fuck, and it lasted about an hour too long. Though when it ended, there was no hangover or recovery like cocaine or meth. I just drove home and went to bed.
If you have your own place, and can keep your mouth shut, Mushrooms are easy(ish) to grow, with a very low risk. You can get spore packs from various places (the Netherlands) and can get a large supply from one growth cycle. You dry then out and then store them. When you are ready to do some grams, you grind them down and put them in some OJ for a nice controlled trip. Shroomery.org has all the info on it.