Azrayne's drug geek thread

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
So do you have constipation issues with narcotic drugs? I've never done heroin but I've had plenty of morphine, dilaudid, and various narcotic pills and I may as well have a brick in my bowels. That shit just shuts me down. I can not even imagine being an addict with that stuff. I'd never shit again in my life.
I'll stick to weed I think. I've actually been using it to treat depression and insomnia with astoundingly good results. Just a very small amount before I go to bed. It's been a little over a month and I feel like a new man. Hell my wife thinks she's married to someone different now. The difference is night and day. I'm glad I live in a state I can acquire legally and have home delivery at that. Hopefully the rest of the country will catch up soon.
wink.png

edit: Prior to this treatment yes I had tried many prescription drugs. Ambien, Zoloft, Paxil...the standard shit. Awful side effects. Ambien is the fucking worst ever ugh. I had horrible memory loss on that shit. Even if I went straight to bed there were many times I'd wake up, eat a bunch of shit, go back to bed, and then wonder where the fuck all the food went in the morning because I couldn't remember eating it. I don't worry about munchies when I go straight to bed after enjoying some pot. lol

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Jesus. I started with ecstasy when I was 18. Before I had ever had alcohol. Before marijuana. Six times in six months back in 2000. I started feeling "dumber" and didn't enjoy that very much. But I will say the pressed pills of that day were INTENSE. Nothing like the stuff I played with in clubs between '06-'09, or the shit they're pressing today. If someone was randy enough to take two pills, you'd see them rolling around on the ground, just completely whacked out of their minds. That very nearly happened to me two of the times - my legs would give out, and any stimulation would cause orgasmic loss of motor control. The last time I took a pill in 2000, a Mitsubishi, it lasted for about 30 minutes, then I went into a crazy depressive state and I felt angry, disassociated. Didn't touch the stuff against for several years.

Smoked weed for the first time when I was 21. I didn't get "high", but I did get the munchies like a motherfucker. Ate two large bags of Doritos. I've pretty much been a consistent smoker since then, though with a couple six month gaps where everything I would get would make me allergic instead of high. Still my drug of choice, since it seems to offset the anxiety effects from my ecstasy consumption. Though I miss when I had the confidence to consume it, be bloodshot eyed in public and not give two fucks. Now I get hyper paranoid I'm going to run into someone.

Cocaine, xanax, valium, were like brothers. Back in '06, I had a six month stint where you wouldn't find me without a bag of yay in my pocket. At first it was a weekend thing, then a daily thing, then it was like smoking cigarettes - morning bump, morning break, lunch, afternoon break, after work, then a couple in the evening. I started smoking Pall Malls for the gap in the filter. Straight addicted. I knew it. And it was starting to show when I would go to family events on a Sunday after a night of binging, looking like worn out dumpster trash. I managed not to lose my job, but I certainly wasn't fostering any relationships that didn't have anything to do with doing more cocaine. It's very accurate the variability of the stuff you find. I knew when I found "good" stuff. Shitty stuff you were re-upping every 5-10 minutes, while the better stuff would ratchet you up for a good 30 minutes and every additional bump didn't feel like chasing the dragon -- it actually affected you. It made clubbing fun, and your ability to consume alcohol skyrockets. Which means your hangover+withdrawal the next day was going to be intense. Unless you had more cocaine. Or a xanax/valium to bring you down and knock you out. It was a very effective means of avoiding the withdrawal symptoms. The last time I did coke, it was a three day bender. I didn't sleep for four days, and by the end, I was so dopamine deprived I would have been OK with dying. I couldn't sleep, couldn't feel, couldn't think. It felt like I was an empty husk. I endured by chain smoking through three packs of cigarettes... My sinuses are still fucked to this day from that little stint. I still get bloody noses, scabs, and there's definite scarring.

Mushrooms are amazing. I noticed the stems would give me a body high, while the caps were fully visual. I had some amazing experiences, minus the 20 minutes where you feel like you're poisoned (because you are). I would do mushrooms again if they weren't so hard to come by. The people I used to do them with are now a bunch of whippet heads and fuck that nonsense. 2ci (2,5-dimethoxy-4-iodophenethylamine) was like mushrooms on steroids without the happy, giggly parts. Just a straight mind fuck, and it lasted about an hour too long. Though when it ended, there was no hangover or recovery like cocaine or meth. I just drove home and went to bed.

I've done meth twice, once as a dare (powder), once thinking it was cocaine (crystal). Fun, lovely, a lot like ecstasy, but fuck that stuff. The hangover is brutal!

Dabbled in various pills, but they all tend to fuck up my intestines. Such as your various codeines (percocet, hydrocodone, etc). Probably why I never touched heroin.

Promethazine is awesome.
Yeah that's pretty much upper addiction. Feels like a great pick me up for a while, all the parties are great, then suddenly you're binging and broke and your brain feels like it's been scoured out with wire mesh.

The MDMA thing - it can get really brutal with the mood swings both during and after (there's a reason they call it suicide Tuesday), especially if you use it frequently. I went through a phase where I'd get the most fucked up come-ups when the pills kicked in, would start shaking, stomach would sink and I'd just hate the world for 10 minutes or so, but I'd sit down outside the club, sip some water, have a smoke and by the time I stood back up I was suddenly in full swing, loving the world, unable to decide between hugging all my friends or rocking out to the music or just sitting on the couch chewing my mouth away. I remember when I tried 4-mmc (mephedrone) for the first time - it was brand new at the time, the whole concept of Research Chemicals was just taking off, and a friend gave me some caps with a really high dose randomly. I'd already smoked some meth so I had a buzz going, and I took one cap and gave another to a mate, thinking they'd just be like those lame "herbal ecstasy" pills headshops sell. Man was I wrong. It hit me like a truck 20 minutes later and for about an hour I couldn't move. Eyes wobbling so bad I couldn't use my phone, just sitting splayed back in my mates car outside the club, rubbing the soft fuzzy seat cover completely and utterly munted. This went on for about an hour, then I went cleared up enough to go back inside and alternated between non-stop dancing to 180bpm dutch hardcore and talking shit at a million miles a second. About 3 & 1/2 hours after taking the cap I just dropped back down to normal again almost in an instant, but it was an amazing experience. Very similar to the old pills they used to make where they'd throw in 10 or 20mg of meth with the dose of MDMA so you wouldn't get the munted couchlock effect (although the combination is seriously bad for your brain, anything which releases dopamine combined with MDMA makes it substantially more neurotoxic - the way I remember it being explained to me was that the depleted serotonin receptors would take in the dopamine molecules instead and be damaged by the process, I don't know how accurate that is, it's been a while since I did any major research on party drugs, but the comedown from those pills was always especially brutal, on top of which the meth means you can't sleep for hours, whereas you can crash easily after a clean MDMA high).

We took some of the 4mmc to a big festival interstate a few weeks later, mixed up with some GHB, sitting in the middle of a 5k crowd jammed into this concert venue (when I wasn't outside chainsmoking). Amazing night - at least until my mate's GF sooked out and half the group left early (in fairness she was a tiny thing to begin with - but even then she only dosed 1/3 of a cap, so I dunno, some chicks in particular don't seem to handle their drugs well). Me and another stuck around for most of the last set (which is usually the best), then caught up with them at a hotel room after a long, sketchy, confusing walk through a city we didn't know very well. Then we grabbed a couple grams of K from my bag, got a cab to my mates apartment and snorted K till midday or so (one of my mates spent half the morning hiding in the cupboard, we had to pass the plate to him behind the mirror, while me and another got it into our heads to try walking down the spiral staircase backwards until we holed out on the downstairs couches while someone was mixing on the decks). Then cabbed back to the hotel for a few hours of bad sleep and jumped on a plane. Great weekend, (airports while you're coming down and still have a bit of K floating around your head are not fun). It's the times like that I really miss, but there's not really any going back. Even if I went and hit up gigs again with a huge drug stash in my pocket, it wouldn't be the same - I tried for a while when I first went on suboxone. Can't cross the same river twice and all that...

I did take some pills in 2013 and have a really good night, but that was because a lot of the old crowd came out as much as the pills (although being so long since I'd had MDMA, it was an amazing high). Reconnected with some people I hadn't seen in ages, saw a DJ I'd been wanting to catch for years. But the idea isn't really appealing, even if I had friends who'd be up for it these days, it would be weird partying at a club where half the crowd are munted teenagers. ugh.

About meth - the MDMA-esque feeling fades very quickly. You really only get it the first 3 or 4 times, then it just becomes a typical egotistical, maniacal, fiendish stimulant high. This is part of why it really grabs people with the addiction, they think they've found something they can take in place of MDMA, then it turns into a regular upper, then a daily pick me up, and so on. So watch out for that. Time doesn't seem to make a difference, I've taken breaks of years and still never gotten that feeling from the first few highs back.

Sounds like you're like me in being sensitive to the side effects of opiates - probably better that way, given your experience with coke and benzos. Opiates are an acquired taste for a lot of people, and you're honestly better off not acquiring it. Although I'm confused about why you like promethazine - it's just an antihistamine. I always hated the stuff - had to take low doses so I wouldn't throw up on opiates, but too much would make me feel zombified or just knock me out.

As for mushies - it's never an issue here, as they pop up all over the place at the end of every winter. Can't give the things away. But as someone else mentioned you can set up a kit and grow them in a dark cupboard if you want to go to the effort.

Your psychiatrist had never treated a drug addict? I literally have the exact opposite problem in my practice. Is Australia real life?
I guess he meant an opiate addict, since he described meth as being the really big AUS drug.
Nope, no drug addicts at all. I mean I'm sure she had patients who smoked a lot of weed or whatever, but her focus was depression and anxiety disorders. She was recommended by a family member, which is the only reason I gave her a shot, but the discussion in which the recommendation was made was one in which the subject of drugs was very specifically not mentioned (my family are basically good people, god knows they put up with my shit and I'd probably still be out there going at it like a lot of my old friends, or worse, if they hadn't had my back, but they're really repressed when it comes to actually "talking" about problems, so although what was going on was really obvious, it was only ever very briefly mentioned in short, awkward conversations).

So do you have constipation issues with narcotic drugs? I've never done heroin but I've had plenty of morphine, dilaudid, and various narcotic pills and I may as well have a brick in my bowels. That shit just shuts me down. I can not even imagine being an addict with that stuff. I'd never shit again in my life.
Yeah I do. At first it wasn't a big issue, then when it started happening if I hadn't crapped in a few days I would grit my teeth in the morning and hold out off my first shot until I got sick enough to hit the bathroom. The combined relief of emptying your bowels for the first time in 5 days then running to your room and shoving a nice dose of oxy into your veins is... unique. It stopped for a while when I went on suboxone, then it started up again last year, so now I take a laxative powder when I need to and it's not a huge deal. My gut grumbles for half an hour or so afterwards, then everything pours out in a kind of sludge and I'm good for a few days. It's annoying, and a major motivator to get off suboxone, but it's also just something I deal with.

They say you know you're a junkie when you feel perfectly normal having conversations which revolve around who has the best veins and the worst constipation...

I'll stick to weed I think. I've actually been using it to treat depression and insomnia with astoundingly good results. Just a very small amount before I go to bed. It's been a little over a month and I feel like a new man. Hell my wife thinks she's married to someone different now. The difference is night and day. I'm glad I live in a state I can acquire legally and have home delivery at that. Hopefully the rest of the country will catch up soon.
wink.png

edit: Prior to this treatment yes I had tried many prescription drugs. Ambien, Zoloft, Paxil...the standard shit. Awful side effects. Ambien is the fucking worst ever ugh. I had horrible memory loss on that shit. Even if I went straight to bed there were many times I'd wake up, eat a bunch of shit, go back to bed, and then wonder where the fuck all the food went in the morning because I couldn't remember eating it. I don't worry about munchies when I go straight to bed after enjoying some pot. lol
Sounds like you've got something which works for you. If it's not broken...

Never tried ambien, but I've heard horror stories both personally and in the media. Blackout binge eating, getting up and driving while asleep, crazy shit. Most psychiatric drugs are at least as fucked up as "street" drugs (aka. anything which actually makes you feel good). Already mentioned my experience with seroquel (which idiot doctors hand out like candy off label for sleep because "it's not addictive like benzos," never mind the absurd side effects of giving a potent antipsychotic medication to every random patient who can't drop off to sleep at night), my shrink had me try SSRI's a few times, but they always left me feeling like I had a chunk of metal in my stomach and a vice squeezing my head after every dose at night, then buzzing around like I was crashing off a bad pill during the day. Awful shit, and that was on half a pill, I never managed to even get up to a full dose the side effects were so awful. I'm leaning towards the side of the debate which claims they're mostly a scam, personally, but I do know people who's seemingly improved after taking them (although that might just be a combo of placebo and the therapy).

Funnily, the best sleeping pill I've tried is a herbal one a local shop sells which contains hops, blue lotus, celandine and skulcap. One of these will have me out cold, and usually I only need half. Absolutely no hangover, but they put you out for a while and the time between when you dose them and when you actually pass out is pretty uncomfortable, so I don't use them regularly.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The MDMA thing - it can get really brutal with the mood swings both during and after (there's a reason they call it suicide Tuesday), especially if you use it frequently. I went through a phase where I'd get the most fucked up come-ups when the pills kicked in, would start shaking, stomach would sink and I'd just hate the world for 10 minutes or so, but I'd sit down outside the club, sip some water, have a smoke and by the time I stood back up I was suddenly in full swing, loving the world, unable to decide between hugging all my friends or rocking out to the music or just sitting on the couch chewing my mouth away. I remember when I tried 4-mmc (mephedrone) for the first time - it was brand new at the time, the whole concept of Research Chemicals was just taking off, and a friend gave me some caps with a really high dose randomly. I'd already smoked some meth so I had a buzz going, and I took one cap and gave another to a mate, thinking they'd just be like those lame "herbal ecstasy" pills headshops sell. Man was I wrong. It hit me like a truck 20 minutes later and for about an hour I couldn't move. Eyes wobbling so bad I couldn't use my phone, just sitting splayed back in my mates car outside the club, rubbing the soft fuzzy seat cover completely and utterly munted. This went on for about an hour, then I went cleared up enough to go back inside and alternated between non-stop dancing to 180bpm dutch hardcore and talking shit at a million miles a second. About 3 & 1/2 hours after taking the cap I just dropped back down to normal again almost in an instant, but it was an amazing experience. Very similar to the old pills they used to make where they'd throw in 10 or 20mg of meth with the dose of MDMA so you wouldn't get the munted couchlock effect (although the combination is seriously bad for your brain, anything which releases dopamine combined with MDMA makes it substantially more neurotoxic - the way I remember it being explained to me was that the depleted serotonin receptors would take in the dopamine molecules instead and be damaged by the process, I don't know how accurate that is, it's been a while since I did any major research on party drugs, but the comedown from those pills was always especially brutal, on top of which the meth means you can't sleep for hours, whereas you can crash easily after a clean MDMA high).

I did take some pills in 2013 and have a really good night, but that was because a lot of the old crowd came out as much as the pills (although being so long since I'd had MDMA, it was an amazing high). Reconnected with some people I hadn't seen in ages, saw a DJ I'd been wanting to catch for years. But the idea isn't really appealing, even if I had friends who'd be up for it these days, it would be weird partying at a club where half the crowd are munted teenagers. ugh.

Sounds like you're like me in being sensitive to the side effects of opiates - probably better that way, given your experience with coke and benzos. Opiates are an acquired taste for a lot of people, and you're honestly better off not acquiring it. Although I'm confused about why you like promethazine - it's just an antihistamine. I always hated the stuff - had to take low doses so I wouldn't throw up on opiates, but too much would make me feel zombified or just knock me out.

They say you know you're a junkie when you feel perfectly normal having conversations which revolve around who has the best veins and the worst constipation...
That was my experience with MDMA (or whatever it might've been) a couple years ago. Clean up, clean down. Stuff from fifteen years ago had an awkward 24 hour recovery period, but the intensity was 10 fold. And honestly, it's difficult to even go to DJ events at clubs now. Feels like I'm surrounded by toddlers until I get enough booze in me to quell the jadedness. I did partake at a large festival a few years ago, and that was interesting, but the substance was incredibly weak -- like 30 minutes of happy feelings, and not much more.

Exactly the point with promethazine (+codeine). It slows everything down. My mind tends to run at 200%, so anything that can relax me is appreciated.

I had to take pills after I'd shattered a couple bones in my body, and the brick in my gut almost wasn't worth not feeling the stabbing pain. Speaking of broken bones, they gave me a dilaudid injection in the ER, 10 seconds later I'm spinning -- they gave me something for the nausea, which instantly made me have to take a shit. But after that I felt fucking fantastic. Oh, and I know it's terribly bad for your kidneys, but on a couple separate occasions, taking a hydro and drinking a 40 was a nice experience. Zero fucks.

As far as things for sleep - Nuero Sleep, a drink that comes in an orange bottle at the grocery or gas station. Melatonin, L-theanine, magnesium, and 5-HTP; very much encourages sleep. Half a bottle is usually enough. Consuming the whole bottle leads to dragging ass the next day. And melatonin is definitely not good for encouraging good sleeping patterns if taken regularly. L-theanine and magnesium are fine, however. Add L-tryptophan to further the effects.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can you give a layman's run down on the MDMA neurotoxicity issue? What sort of effects are noticed in users who have done too much too often for too long and in the wrong combinations? That's a topic I was unfamiliar with and it seems pretty complicated on the actual research side of things.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Can you give a layman's run down on the MDMA neurotoxicity issue? What sort of effects are noticed in users who have done too much too often for too long and in the wrong combinations? That's a topic I was unfamiliar with and it seems pretty complicated on the actual research side of things.
It takes about a month to generate the serotonin your brain dumps, so there's a loss in emotional quota for a period after consumption (after the high). The up has a down cost. Taken too often, or too frequently, and your receptors effectively become damaged (from the serotonin flooding which causes the receptors to retract, and subsequent lack of serotonin), and aren't as capable of serotonin uptake. This can have lifelong implications, like lack of emotion, or emotional response. Anxiety is a huge one, because if there's no "happiness", it's a dull, panic state. Not sure how to best describe that last part, but that's how it feels. Everyone I knew, knew to take it only once a month. Longer periods between (6+ weeks) to experience similar highs.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Did you hold jobs through all these heavy party years Az?
I did. An addict can be pretty proficient at locking down a job when it means they get their fix. As Az stated earlier, life becomes binary. Having a job means more drugs.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was wondering because he mentioned being a weekend warrior too and the comedowns from MDMA and "suicide Tuesday" and earlier doing heroin all weekend then needing to get through Sunday before he could switch back to suboxone. Just seems coming down off binges like that would make work seem impossible.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Well, if you have a drug you need to take every day, you take it at work as well, just less of it so no one knows. I regularly snorted things (never shot up anything, luckily) in the bathroom at various jobs for years. Yes, being in withdrawl/coming down when at work is hell. Tended to call in sick if it was really bad. Plus, when I was between jobs, I tended to be a 'middle man' dealer for other friends. I'd have the hookup, and they'd spot me a few pills as a courier fee, basically.

Azrayne

acidfly summed it up pretty well -

It takes about a month to generate the serotonin your brain dumps, so there's a loss in emotional quota for a period after consumption (after the high). The up has a down cost. Taken too often, or too frequently, and your receptors effectively become damaged (from the serotonin flooding which causes the receptors to retract, and subsequent lack of serotonin), and aren't as capable of serotonin uptake. This can have lifelong implications, like lack of emotion, or emotional response. Anxiety is a huge one, because if there's no "happiness", it's a dull, panic state. Not sure how to best describe that last part, but that's how it feels. Everyone I knew, knew to take it only once a month. Longer periods between (6+ weeks) to experience similar highs.
If you want my massive rambling version instead -most stimulants work by either releasing, or inhibiting the reuptake of, 3 chemicals in your brain: serotonin, dopamine and epinephrine/adrenaline (and drugs like MDMA which aren't really stimulants in the traditional sense but have the same mode of action - here in Aus they're all categorized under ATS: Amphetamine Type Stimulants, although they sometimes include coke in this category, which has a similar effect but works but inhibiting reuptake, not stimulating release).

Serotonin is your basic mood regulator. You know when you're having just a good day, everything is going well, you're happy and content, and all this flows into putting you into a good mood where you feel happy about your life, you feel close to the people around you, and just generally feel contented and good with yourself? That's serotonin at work, which is why so many antidepressant drugs are drugs which are supposed to make you happier by increasing your levels of serotonin (also why you can't get high on MDMA when you're on these SSRI's). Psychedelics also act on serotonin, but they don't directly release it - I'm a bit iffy on the specific mechanic of it since I've always preferred dissociatives.

Dopamine is the "reward" chemical which gets a lot of talk (and is wrongly attributed to being the chemical released by opiates, which function by releasing endorphines - literally "endogenous morphine," there is some secondary dopamine release because anything which feels good, especially anything tied into a repetitive cycle of behavior, is gonna release dopamine, but dopamine isn't directly released by opioids that I know of, and isn't the primary cause of the high). This is when you pull something off - you finish something you trained really hard for and you kick ass and win and everyone is cheering, you go up to that hot girl at the bar and she's really into you and you hook up, or you go to work and finish some major project and it does really well and you get a ton of praise from everyone and a raise from your boss. You feel great, on top of the world, you're the fucking man, like you can take on the universe. That's dopamine. But because it's the chemical your brain pumps out as a reward for doing things you're supposed to do (even just eating, drinking, sex, exercise, etc), you're naturally designed to crave it, so drugs like meth and coke which increase it's levels in a big burst become really addictive - your brain becomes programmed to think that snorting that white powder or hitting that glass pipe is something which it's supposed to do to feel good - it's kind of fucked up because even though I was far more addicted to opiates than meth and given a choice would spend a day high on heroin over meth any day, it's meth that I mostly dream about at night and wake up sweaty and heart pounding, your whole mesolimbic pathway - that reward system - just gets hijacked by the drug).

Adrenaline I figure you know, so I'm not gonna go into it, but the degree to which the drug increases it is responsible for the peripheral nervous system effects - the sweating, shakiness, pounding heart, the physically "amped up" side of the effects, and the edgy anxiety side of the high.

Your serotonin receptors are also really sensitive compared to the dopamine receptors (the main ones involved in coke, amphetamine, and meth - although meth releases slightly more serotonin at first, which is why it feels so amazing and somewhat unique the first few times and probably plays a role in the neurotoxicity and addictiveness), and your serotonin doesn't replenish quickly the way dopamine/adrenaline do.

Basically the ratio at which these receptors are affected are what determines the drug's effect. So something like MDMA (high serotonin, low dopamine and adrenaline) will make you feel amazing and loved up, music feels awesome, just touch and sensation feels awesome, you're emotionally open, talkative, everyone feels like your new best friend (it's sometimes classes as an empathogenic drug). It can be a very strong emotional bonding/cleansing experience in the right context (which is why they're experimenting with using it in marriage counseling and PTSD therapy - it opens you up and connects you to other people), but it can also just result in you having deep and meaningful conversations with someone you met 5 minutes ago on the dancefloor and will never see again. But it's not very stimulating and energetic, often it takes a conscious effort to get up and dance for extended periods of time - although it feels amazing when you do - you just want to sit there and feel amazing. But without the huge dopamine hit, it isn't very addictive, and without the huge adrenaline release, it doesn't get you really amped up (which is why a lot of ecstasy pill makers include a bit of meth, or caffeine or some other stimulant), and you can sleep more or less directly after it wears off.

Then you've got something like cocaine, which is in many ways an opposite (low serotonin, high dopamine, moderate adrenaline). You get the egotistical, manic, 'top of the world' high (which is why the stereotype of the douchy cokehead exists). Because it releases more adrenaline, you get more of the straight stimulant effects - energetic, can't sleep, bouncing around, twitchy, heart rate and blood pressure go up, and so on.

Meth is similar to coke, except it also has a bit of a serotonergic effect (moderate serotonin, high dopamine, moderate - but lower than regular amphetamine sulphate - adrenaline), which is why the first few times you use it you get a good dose of that magnanimous, open, glowing feeling the serotonin gives you. But because the serotonin is quickly depleted and the receptors are sensitive, this doesn't last long, and after a few times it turns into the aforementioned regular stimulant high. There's also a direct correlation between how you dose the drug and how addictive it is - this is because the faster the drug kicks in, the stronger the association your mesolimbic pathway, the reward system dopamine acts on, builds with that method of dosing. If you suck on a pipe and you're suddenly feeling amazing even while you're still pulling in the vapor, of course then that's a stronger association than snorting a line and slowly feeling the high kick in over 2 or 3 minutes, which of course is still a much stronger association than eating a pill and then having the high kick in 20 or 30 minutes later. And of course pressing a plunger on a syringe which pumps the whole dose into your bloodstream at once is the ultimate instant gratification cause the whole thing whacks (heh - I originally typed "smacks," realized it might seem like I was making a pun, and replaced it with another unintentional pun) you in the gut at once while you're pulling the needle out of your arm.

Anyway the reason I'm off on this tangent is this association between ROA and addiction rate is a huge part of the problem with meth in Australia. Unlike coke, which cannot be taken orally and has to be cooked into crack through junkie science to smoke, meth can be eaten, snorted, smoked and injected (also plugged aka. up the poophole, but that's not a popular option for meth - although surprisingly popular for MDMA), each experience subsequently stronger and more addictive. So it's easy to start out taking a dab of gas/speed (cheap, shitty, damp powder meth, often racemic instead of purely dextrorary, which is sold for about 1/3 the price of regular crystallized meth) at a festival, or from a mate at work, for an energy boost, then stepping up to snorting it in the bathroom with your pills at a club instead, then you're in the carpark or at a house party and someone offers you a pipe and it gets you a faster, stronger, smoother high for less money, so next time you hit up your dealer you ask for shard/shabs/ice (crystal meth) instead.

Then after a while smoking you've stopped going out to parties because that's a waste of money you could spend on more meth, and you've got a tolerance, and the pipe isn't doing it for you, and you can't get the same rush you used to no matter how huge a toke you take, and you start wondering whether needles are that scary after all. So there's a huge spread from functional, casual use to frequent, recreational use to constant, addictive use, just as there's a huge spread of the drug across the socio-economic spectrum and geography of the country at the moment. The media are losing their shit because the city markets have peaked for a while now, so there's allegedly, can never tell with the media, a huge surge of rural meth from all the spillover, bikies taking out what they couldn't sell in the city, etc. - where prices are actually falling for the first time in years due to oversaturation, which is making it hard for the low level dealers. Unlike the heroin problem we had in the 80's and 90's, there's no strict "they're the junkies we gotta deal with," no "society v. the druggies," because the same kids who'd "never smoke ice" are taking dabs of powder meth on the weekend (I mentioned my highschool dealer who sold ice as MDMA - he also used to mix it in with the bags of pills he sold - I had no idea until I bought some myself for the first time and was like "hey I know that smell") and just slowly get pulled in by the gravitational effect of it all, that hijacking of the dopamine system. It's pretty much the ultimate drug to ruin a whole bunch of lives with.

So ok after that massive tangent about Australia's meth problem and how stimulants work, back to the actual question you asked about MDMA neurotoxicity.

As far as actual effects, the first quick point to make is that it's hard to say precisely, because a lot of what is sold as MDMA is either adulterated with other drugs, or just not MDMA at all. Before research chemicals became available, one of the famous pill pressers - Carl Williams, they made a TV series about the dude - used to press pills with meth and ketamine in them, figuring a lot of people wouldn't know/care about the difference. And he got rich, so obviously a lot of them didn't (although I know some people who used to buy them intentionally for the ketamine content - K doesn't metabolize well orally, so each individual pill would have needed a huge dose to vaguely simulate the weird stimulated-sedation thing MDMA does, but crush and snort them, and you've got yourself some cheap K with a bit of speed thrown in). And of course anyone who takes MDMA probably has a history of using other drugs as well, even if it's just weed and booze, it's enough to make precise studies difficult.

These days it's even more random, with all the new RC's out there (some of which aren't actually neurotoxic - such as 4mmc aka. mephedrone, although it's hell for your circulation system - even worse than coke, funnily, when it was legal in the UK for a year or so and everyone took it instead of MDMA/coke, the number of deaths from these drugs went down by 30% or so because people weren't getting toxic pills and mephedrone doesn't have the same propensity to trigger random strokes/heart attacks as cocaine). That said, generally speaking, the effects take place on both a cognitive and emotional level. The cognitive effects aren't as noticeable, as apparently the brain has an easier time healing around the damage and forming new pathways, but they've done studies testing people who used to take MDMA frequently in their youth but have since stopped for several years, and found that they scored lower on a bunch of things I don't remember (I could try find the actual studies, but if you just type in "MDMA neurotoxic" or similar in pubmed you can find summaries of a lot of studies). Memory was a big one, and problem solving, iirc, but the difference was statistically significant but not exactly crippling.

The emotional stuff is a lot more insidious. Like I mentioned before, a ton of people I used to party, especially those who took pills way more often than I did (I made at least a solid effort to spread it out to once a month) are now emotionally damaged in some way, on anti-depressants and tranquilizers (including yours truly), a lot of anxiety and depression. Even the ones who haven't been diagnosed (that I know of) I've seen the changes in over the years, they just lose some of their spark and enthusiasm for life, Acidfly summed it up pretty well:

like lack of emotion, or emotional response. Anxiety is a huge one, because if there's no "happiness", it's a dull, panic state.
They walk around like they're just living life by rote, not really feeling anything about anything. Flat. The worst cases, the ones who'd eat pills every week or two for years on end, just end up kind of deadeyed. Uncomfortable to be around. A lot of them don't do much but go to their deadend job, come home, smoke weed and drink. No ambition, no passion, no connection to anything. It's really fucked up to see.

The reason this happens with MDMA more than most other drugs is that, as has been mentioned, the serotonin receptors are really sensitive, and serotonin takes a while to replenish (which is why you can't binge on MDMA, and taking it two night in a row will make you suicidally depressed). Dopamine is produced fast enough that you can keep it pumping as long as you have more coke/meth/whatever, and the dopamine receptors are hardier, although not immune, meth use is neurotoxic to the dopamine receptors as well, although the effects tend to not be as severe unless you go absurdly hard, for years on end. the mental health effects on the other hand, tend to be more dramatic, depending on lifestyle - lack of sleep/good food is a huge contribution to a lot of meth addicts flipping out, those who keep a nutritious diet, drink plenty of water and don't skip multiple nights of sleep in a row for extended periods tend to not be the ones who go psychotic and paranoid, even if they're using daily, although it can still happen). Then there's the

There are a lot of plans and theories for avoiding the neurotoxic effects of MDMA out there (although many of them are just focused around not losing the effects of the high, instead of preserving long term mental health, and few of them make any difference, some are counterproductive - I experimented with a lot of them back in the day). People talk about pre-loading with various supplements (some specifically made for that purpose and sold online/at head shops) to make the high better, or post-loading to make the comedown easier/abate the neurotoxicity, and all sorts of crazy spacing out schedules. Generally it's agreed once a month is the maximum if you wanna stay safe and keep enjoying the drug, once every 2 months is better, and sticking to 2 - 4 times a year is ideal. Of course this is usually a case of "do as I say, not as I do," which is common in harm reduction circles - it's easy to talk about moderation and safety, not so easy to stick to it in the thick of the moment, and I sometimes worry that people use the fact that they follow some basic HR tenets to justify other risky behavior to themselves - but it's just a hunch. I do know that one of the unintended side effects of the internet harm reduction scene is it becomes a place where you hear about all these cool new drugs you would probably never have known about otherwise - especially big problem now that new Research Chemicals are coming out every week. Harm reduction websites often walk a fine line between providing a space for people to help eachother use these drugs safely and providing people a space in which they end up advertising or reviewing them. But overall I think the benefits outweigh the suspected risks.

But when it comes to MDMA safety, the basics are best. Buy your drugs beforehand, test them with a kit beforehand to make sure they're actually MDMA. Don't take them if they're contaminated with meth/amphetamine (it'll show up on the test kit), as that will enhance the neurotoxicity and the comedown specifically. Start small with each new batch - pill potency varies absurdly, now more than ever. There are pills sold in Europe with up to 270mg of MDMA in them (the recommended dose for an adult male is 80 - 120mg), but also pills sold with 20 - 30mg. You can see how that could be a problem. And capsules/powder has god knows what purity. Best way is to eat a half, maximum (1/4 for first timers, really small chicks and untested pills), wait until you come up on it, then if it's been an hour or so and you're not quite where you want to be, gauge the effects and snort a bit more, as that will kick in faster to top up your high. You can always take more, but you can't untake ending up in a coma because you decided to YOLO it and double dropped 2x 250mg pills. Stay hydrated (but don't overdrink water - a bottle/hour if dancing, half a bottle if not, hyponatremia is an ugly way to die, and a few people got hit with it in the 90's because the extent of harm reduction was "drink water so you don't overheat," and so water became some kind of MDMA panacea for idiot teenage girls). If someone feels a bit unwell, get them some fresh air. If some fresh air and calm and a few sips of water don't settle things down, then seek medical attention. Better that they're embarrassed than dead. Personally, I'd say if you like your brain, maximum of 4 times a year and 6 week break between each is a good limit. There are always more pills and parties, there aren't always more braincells.

I was wondering because he mentioned being a weekend warrior too and the comedowns from MDMA and "suicide Tuesday" and earlier doing heroin all weekend then needing to get through Sunday before he could switch back to suboxone. Just seems coming down off binges like that would make work seem impossible.
Short answer:

Having a job means more drugs.
Long answer: On and off. For the first 6ish months after I first tried and fell in love with MDMA I was still in highschool, living off WoW accounts (not a full time business, although I got an impressive amount for my main pre-BC when I quit the game for the first time, but enough to scrape together cash for a couple pills here and there). Then I spent a year studying and working a shitty fast food job. I put my degree on hold after a year (celebrated by candyflipping at a rave), during which I traded in my fast food job for a sales job. Up to this point I'd usually kept by partying to a max of a single night on the weekend, occasionally a back to back.

That changed when I started sales. It was way better money, but the hours were intense and the commission system meant there was a lot of stress, so on the day and a half I had off as my weekend, I would get stuck into it. And then I'd need a morning pick me up on Monday, which was either whatever was left of my stash or an insane amount of caffeine. A ton of my co-workers also partied heavily (and all of them lived on energy drinks), although we mostly traded stories on Monday morning more than actually getting high together, except for the occasional line at work to keep going or joint afterwards, since we all hung out in different scenes - one amazingly hot girl was a meth addict with a dealer boyfriend in jail, fresh out of what I presume was only her first stint in rehab, my team leader and a bunch of the others would eat pills and drink a ton at mainstream electro clubs, and we had a few gay guys come and go. I'm pretty sure my GF was the only person there not getting fucked up, and that's cause I kept her away from it as much as I could, she was messed up enough and would have gone downhill like a fucking boulder pushed off a cliff - but I was 19 and she was fun to hang out with (when we weren't fighting or breaking up) and amazing in bed (her being a squirter and me being unable to cum because I was on meth ruined a few mattresses), so it was a relationship built mostly on weeknights and Sunday afternoons spent in bed or watching movies (having a cute naked girl with you in bed eases the comedown considerably), occasionally we'd go straight from work to a movie or a dinner date, but that's about it.

After that I was unemployed for 9 months because my health went to shit. I got hit with glandular fever and it wiped me out for 9 months. Literally asleep 14+ hours a day, every day (part of it was probably just recovering from the months of a lifestyle fueled by fast food, caffeine and meth, in hindsight). This is when I first got into opiates, because either as a result of the virus (apparently pain after viruses is a thing that happens, something about nerve? fuck if I know) or of being in bed 14+ hours a day for months on end, my back started killing me. You know the way your bones ache when you have a really bad flu or whatever? I had that during the acute phase of the virus, and it's like it faded from the rest of the body but just piled up and amplified in my upper back. So I started taking a lot of pills, at first just non-narcotic painkillers, then low dose OTC codeine, then high dose codeine extracted from the pills, which started about 3 months into this phase and was where the opiate thing kicked off. When you're awake only 10 hours a day and you spend it feeling like your back has gravel lodged between the joints and muscles, you'll take whatever relief you can get. If that relief also allows you to catch a buzz, that's good to (I remember actually writing about my experiments with the codeine extractions in the drug thread back on FOH).

Eventually my energy levels came back and I went and got a job at a sandwich place down the road. It was a pretty shitty job, but it paid ok and was within walking distance. Hunching over making sandwiches for hours a week did't do my back any wonders though, and I'd frequently stop off at one of the chemists to grab a pack of codeine pills. One dose to chill out when I got home, watch a movie or do some gaming, then redose and go to bed. Also around this time that I found harder opiates. I'd been poking around my old contacts trying to find something ever since I'd started working again, but it took a month or so for a friend to come through with a fentanyl patch, an oc20 and 10mg of morphine. I tried the fentanyl patch (a small strip cut off and applied to the gums), but took a bit too much and it just made me really sick (and like I've said, Fentanyl isn't too euphoric to begin with). It was that weekend that I ate the oc20 and the 10mg of morphine in one go and holy shit I was in love. I'm not going to wax poetic about the opiate high here, but going from codeine to oxy/morphine was kind of like going from getting a toothy BJ from the chubby chick in your English class to mind blowing sex with your hot celebrity of choice (Alison Brie for me, thanks). I mean relatively speaking, they're similar experiences (a woman stimulating your genitals, or a drug stimulating your opioid receptors), but it was just a whole other level of pleasure. If MDMA was the "holy shit are the other ones this good?" then the oxy/morphine combo was "holy shit I want to feel like this for literally the rest of my life."

Anyway I stuck it out with this job, and went back to study the next year. This was in the middle of the MDMA drought, and all the ketamine flowing into my city had been cut off, so after the brief summer where Mephedrone was freely available, the only party drug left was meth. So I was studying part time, going out most weekends smoking meth and working 25 - 30 hours to fund it all (often keeping myself going with leftovers from my weekend stash - I know pharmaceutical amphetamines are popular for study in the US, but meth does the trick just as well, and my grades were a lot better this time around... first semester anyway).

Of course something had to give, and I started to wig out. Combined with some drama involving money and missing drugs and bikies, sleep deprivation and the amount of pressure I was under from my combined work/study schedule, I started getting paranoid and edgy, terrible comedowns, losing a lot of sleep even when sober, when I went out I spent as much time in the carpark with the pipe as did in the club (I wasn't the only one, the MDMA drought created a lot of meth addicts - people are always going to want more than booze to keep them dancing all night).

For a while I handled this with alcohol and my new BFF, oxycontin, but eventually something just snapped. Every time I smoked meth my chest would squeeze and my heart would pound away like it was trying to explode out of my ribcage. There were also some more subtle weirdness that manifested at the time which I only recognized in hindsight. I'd be paranoid that customers who lingered in the store too long were actually bikies here to get money out of me, I'd sometimes find myself in lectures confused about whether it was my first (that is, the first year which took place 3 years earlier) or second year of Uni, I'd get panic attacks (although I didn't recognize them as such, I just figured my heart was giving out under all the meth and caffeine - the store gave us 50c cups of coffee) and weird periods of dissociation, which is really unpleasant when it's not drug induced.

After a stupid 4 day binge I gave up on meth for the most part and swapped to oxy fulltime. It was about 50/50 at that stage anyway, even on the weekends often I'd start mixing the oxy with the meth as soon as we left the actual club (which felt amazing and really cushioned the crash) - one of my dealers was a professional photographer who covered most of the gigs I attended, and most of my party friends weren't into opiates, so I didn't have to share. I still used to get stupid when I drank too much and run to the closest dealer occasionally, but it always ended badly and after a few months I mostly gave up on the prospect and it became a drug I'd use once every month or three. Barring a brief stage after I got onto suboxone, I've used it less and less over the years (before 2 weeks ago, I had gone over 2 years without it).

Oxy felt just as good as meth (and no comedown!), got rid of the knots in my shoulderblades and didn't fuck with my head (which mostly straightened out, I never went psychotic or anything, thank God, seen enough of that in other people) or put the same strain on my body, while still giving me a motivating buzz at the right dose which kept me going through work - if not study. By second semester 2010 I was neglecting study for work, where I made the money to buy oxy, although I didn't actually develop a habit for another 3 or 4 months. The first time I noticed getting sick (other than a bit of discomfort when I went through a phase of taking the codeine extractions 3 times a day for a month) was after a 5 day binge. Went to an interstate festival with 20 or 30 oc80's, since the prospect of dealing with all that tweaker bullshit didn't seem like it would make for a fun weekend with friends I don't see often. Started snorting oxy in the bathroom at the airport before our flight and didn't stop until 2 days after I got home (although I did manage another class act, getting kicked out of a festival an hour before the end after vomiting on a tree from a combo of oxy and GHB (G on an empty stomach has without fail made me throw up every time), but we had a brilliant weekend just chilling in our hotel room or wandering the city and the harbor, all completely out of it on oxy. One of the best times before it went shit. Some of the others were taking an obscure psychedelic - 2CT7 I think? - and ended up ordering the same movie 3 times on the hotel room TV, and another mate made a ghetto-crackpipe out of a pen and a wine bottle lid, and was smoking MDPV out of it (a dopamine reuptake inhibitor, kinda like coke, was very popular in Europe for a while).

Anyway After 5 days of heavy consumption, I went to work and noticed I felt like ass. No Trainspotting type shit, but I was aching in everywhere instead of just my shoulderblades, getting hit by cold shivering and depressed as fuck. I ate some codeine when I got home and felt better, repeated the same process the next day, then the day after I woke up to a message from a friend saying he had 5 fentanyl patches he was looking to sell. Making sandwiches all day paled in appeal to enough of even my least favorite opioid to keep me nodding for a week or two, so that was that.

Since then my only gainful employment was two months stacking shelves an an upmarket fresh food store (conveniently within walking distance of a close friend who was also a heavy user). The first month went surprisingly fine (extra money meant worst case scenario I could stay well with codeine if I had a shift, although keeping me well is all it did, stupid tolerance), despite longer and more frequent bathroom trips than most employees require (and once having to cut off a conversation with the manager to run out the back door and throw up because I'd forgotten to take my phenergan, but I managed to talk my way out of that one). Unfortunately my month there was a training period for the new store they were opening in another suburb, and the woman they chose to manage there was far more switched on to my droopy eyes, tiny pupils and excess bathroom trips, and I got fired. Can't blame her really, I was hardly employer of the year (although I got no complaints at the first store, luckily the uniform involved long sleeves) but that was that.

I went onto suboxone a month or two later, and then went back to Uni, which worked for a semester, then I started skipping suboxone to get high (that particular weekend you're mentioning happened during the mid-semester break here - iirc. I went Tues - Fri getting high, got ripped off with the H on Saturday then spent Sunday waiting out the 24 hours before I could take my suboxone again) then put my degree back on hold so I could sort myself out, which kind of worked. I finally stopped using opiates, but I spent most of that year eating benzos (especially xanax) like candy and about 4 months injecting ketamine and MXE. I finally got sick of that (MXE comedowns are almost as bad as meth, and like meth, it does weird, weird things to your head - I can handle being a junkie, don't think I could handle being psychotic, I might not like reality, going off how much time I spent trying to escape it, but I do like being able to make reasonably logical sense of it) about 7 months ago. And since then I've been sober (discounting social drinking and that one bong), other than an indiscretion at a party a few weeks ago involving some GHB and meth.

Jesus this is turning a bit more autobiographical than I intended. Let me know if it's TMI and I'll reign in my rambling and sidetracks for shorter and more concise answers.

Azrayne

missed this question:

You mentioned using micron filters rather than cotton the way they do in all of the movies/tv shows. What kind did you use? In a previous job I made use of some 13mm .08 ?m filters which had to be drawn on a vacuum to pass anything through. The whole setup seemed like it would be wasteful in a drug use application though.
People call them wheel filters, they look like this:

220424.jpg

except the ones we got were different colors depending on their size (eg. I used the 0.22 micron filters, which were blue). They were handed out free at the needle exchange (although I've heard they since started charging $1/each when their funding was cut, which is crappy, but not really their fault) along with a ton of other great shit for getting high safely. I would get a syringe with a LUER-lock which allows you to screw the filter onto the end. I'd still put a bit of cotton in the shot if I was shooting pills, because it stopped the micron filter getting clogged up with the wax and binders from the pills (a lot of which didn't dissolve). So instead of attacking a needle to the barrel, I'd attach the filter and suck the shot up through that. I'd usually do a small second wash to ensure I got all of the active ingredient (luckily they stocked 3ml and 5ml barrels - even 20ml for the people who inject their methadone doses - 1ml syringes are too small for higher dose pills), then remove the filter and screw in a needle, then go through the normal injection process. It took a bit longer than just a cotton filter, but not much, and it's worth it to not have my body full of wax and insoluble pill binders. They also remove bacteria, which is nice considering the hygiene of some of my sources/injecting locales. I did shoot up pills without micron filters a few times when I was desperate and the exchange was closed, but I could count the times on one hand.

With powders I was less fussy. On the odd occasion it was something gross looking like that bad "heroin" my "friend" got me, I'd use one, but if it was just regular H (and the heroin I got was almost all from a great source, so it was very clean - of course not totally pure, but high quality and at least not cut up with 3 different kinds of random crap from the corner store, since my source was hooked up with some guys a step or two above the asian kids who sell it on the street corners over on the East Coast) or clean crystalline looking ketamine/MXE, then I'd use them if I had them on hand, but not go out of my way to stock up (partially because I was just being lazy, partially because I felt bad taking stuff from the exchange which wasn't strictly necessary when I knew they weren't exactly well funded).

But shooting pills? Absolutely essential. People do some really nasty shit to their body shooting pills without micron filters, and I wanted to get high, not die or lose a limb.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Azrayne my only experience with drugs is in a surgical setting, the couple of times I've been to surgery the anesthesiologist would give me a shot of versed about 5-7 minutes before they wheel me into the operating room, and that shit would just lay my ass out and make me not be concerned about a thing. Often I don't even remember the actual general anesthetic I just remember going into the operating room. How does that compare to the drugs you're talking about?

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I used to write long diatribes like you're doing. Honestly haven't since before the cocaine addiction, and never really recovered or had the desire or focus to do so after. But you are reminding me about a lot of my experiences.

Such as laying in bed with an ex after a night of ecstasy, getting an erection every 30 minutes, lasting long enough to give her an orgasm -- I think we clocked over 14 orgasms that day. It's damn near impossible to have an orgasm as a male while high on ecstasy or cocaine (or meth). Sex on mushrooms is pretty amazing, except when your partner's face starts to look demonic, and closing your eyes doesn't make it any better. They talk about kaleidoscopic vision, which is exactly what you see when you close your eyes.

Or the time me and three girls sat in a circle, passing around the yayo like a bong, until one of the chicks started going off on some existential tangent that made zero fucking sense.

Or the time I nearly suffered water poisoning because I downed something like 6 liters of water in thirty minutes; which, btw, MDMA basically stunts your ability to urinate, compounding the issue. That was probably the most physically painful thing I've experienced in my life, entirely amplified by the drug.

This also reminds me of the thoughts you can get while you're a "consumer". You think you know dark thoughts, but you don't. Not like this. The reality of running your car into things. Hurting people. Not giving a fuck. Being ok with other questionable behavior (messing around with girls too young, but hey, you're 17 and they're 14.... which is actually legal where I'm from, btw). Theft. Ruining other people's relationships by getting their girl messed up and fooling around. At parties. In front of everyone. I certainly didn't make friends with people while I was on cocaine (*edit: OH, except for people who wanted cocaine, they'd practically trade their woman for a few bumps), and I wasn't exactly a model citizen to the friends I did have, either. Just generally being a dick, because fuck it. It also showed me a lot about other people and how they act when you act that way. What you could actually get away with. Girls are totally ok with you getting with them if you're upfront and direct enough.

Azrayne

Versed is midazolam yeah? So it's a benzo, in the same class as xanax, valium etc. From what I remember reading it's one of the more hypnotic ones, the ones they prescribe to knock people out like nitrazepam or temazepam, not the ones like clonazepam or lorazepam which people take during the day for the anxiety relief/muscle relaxation/anti-seizure effect they provide (which tend to be the desirable ones).

Benzos on the whole tend to not be euphoric in the warm glowy 'oh god I feel amazing" way, even the best are just a kind of chilled out sensation. The most "recreational" is xanax, which I do like, but that's still not really a high, just a deep state of relaxation that kicks in fast. Midazolam is unusual among the benzos in that you can inject it (I thought about buying some to try that purely for novelty value but figured the chance I'd just knock myself out was too high to waste the money) so it'd kick in faster, but I'm still pretty sure the effect wouldn't be anything close to opiates or meth. It just doesn't act on the right part of the brain. The amnesia you describe is pretty typical of benzos.

So yeah, it's in a different ballpark really. Opiates are a warm and fuzzy calm which comes on hard and just overrides anything bad, physical or mental, meth is a driving, manic buzz which runs through you like electricity. Benzos are more of a cold and heavy sedation. An subtraction of feelings, not an addition of them.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Trazadone was the last thing new that I tried. It was a lot like xanax, except I felt on the edge of falling asleep, except I didn't. It's a mood stabilizer, and for that it worked well (the next day). Amazing sleep aid. Seemed a little too heavy for consistent use, but apparently you develop a tolerance and it does what it's supposed to do - stabilize your mood.

Adderall is another fun RX. Great for studying, writing, cleaning, staying up all night, drinking more, getting work done. Without all the detrimental after effects like speed. Definitely builds a tolerance like the above mentioned substance, since it's for ADHD. If you don't have ADHD, it's a pretty awesome stimulant. Snorting it is pretty painful, though, since it was hard to powderize (especially the red circles, the orange footballs were easier). That was the one thing that was nice about meth or cocaine, it went up the nose easily. Crystal meth hurt like a bitch, though.

I only smoked weed, tobacco, hash, opium, shisha, salvia. I was ok inhaling cocaine. Never touched a needle. And I knew lots of folks big on plugging their ecstasy, but I could never bring myself to stick my finger that far up my own ass...

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
30 years of keeping drugs in check (easier to list off what I haven't done). Alcohol did me in.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did you know how dangerous opiate addiction was when you started down that path? Or did you not care, or was it a youthful "won't happen to me" sort of invincibility?

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
30 years of keeping drugs in check (easier to list off what I haven't done). Alcohol did me in.
Ugh. Alcohol has been one of the most expensive addictions I've had. It's always been in the background, but the last few years has come to be my predominant addiction. More than video games, and that makes me sad.

Did you know how dangerous opiate addiction was when you started down that path? Or did you not care, or was it a youthful "won't happen to me" sort of invincibility?
That's why I stayed away from needles. Especially when I realized how addicted I had become to coke, it made me, for the first time, realize how addictive personality I am. But that last brutal weekend and recovery was enough to ensure I never touched it again. Here I am, seven years later...

Xevy

Log Wizard
This thread, the weight lifting thread, and J49's thread all fascinate me. It's like looking into a red pill/blue pill world. (And I don't mean the fucking neckbeard/sissy club of MRA)

I don't do drugs, don't drink, and don't whore around. Luckily a lot of you guys do, and I can safely glean life lessons from your experiences. Respekt.