Babylon 5

Sterling

El Presidente
BSG started out real well, but it definitely declined around New Caprica. There was still some good episodes/moments after that but it wasn't as consistently as good as it was before then.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I'll give BSG's ending credit for one thing. It was 100 times better than the ending of the original BSG, which was called Galactica 1980.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I am up to season 3 of the rewatch of B5- VERY watchable. Excellent because of the actors, the characters, the internal and external consistency overall and it's vision of the future. Flawless? No, of course not! Dated? Of course it is, but how couldn't it be? Amazing that it had 22 episodes (more or less) per season (although it suffers a little from that; too much content at times. Didn't need all that filler). As I posted earlier-- I would rather watch dated, cheesy smart sci fi than glitzy, expensive, BRAINLESS crap like "Altered Carbon." It does hold up because it is a smart, well thought out narrative. I wish other shows like "X-Files" had that quality of writing and didn't just make up it's mythology as it went along.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I am up to season 3 of the rewatch of B5- VERY watchable. Excellent because of the actors, the characters, the internal and external consistency overall and it's vision of the future. Flawless? No, of course not! Dated? Of course it is, but how couldn't it be? Amazing that it had 22 episodes (more or less) per season (although it suffers a little from that; too much content at times. Didn't need all that filler). As I posted earlier-- I would rather watch dated, cheesy smart sci fi than glitzy, expensive, BRAINLESS crap like "Altered Carbon." It does hold up because it is a smart, well thought out narrative. I wish other shows like "X-Files" had that quality of writing and didn't just make up it's mythology as it went along.

Dichen Lachman was in Altered Carbon, your point is invalid.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
What's great about B5 is that you had a writer who planned the story from start to finish. Unlike most televisions series today where they start with a premise and just wing it from there (I'm looking at you, LOST).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
That is one of the best things about b5 ...one writer basically. he wrote the whole series premise and synopsis and timeline and went from there. the only compromise happened when he sort of rushed umm season 4's finale since he thought the series was going to be cancelled

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Dichen Lachman was in Altered Carbon, your point is invalid.

Martha Higareda!!! Way better... Dichen Lachman IS the alien-human hybrid from X-files.

5p8ejmqphby4.jpg

201212.jpg
20196.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
That is one of the best things about b5 ...one writer basically. he wrote the whole series premise and synopsis and timeline and went from there

I always thought the best thing about it was that that 1 writer engaged directly with the fans while the show was being made. He had a usenet group where he answered your questions about every episode. It was moderated but you only got nuked if you tried to give him story ideas or used foul language.

• 3Like

Rime

<Donor>
Altered Carbon was good until they shit all over the books to shoehorn stuff in.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Altered Carbon was good until they shit all over the books to shoehorn stuff in.
Didn't read the books, but the show was pretty good until they went deep on the sister stuff then it really nosedived for me.

• 5Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

spronk

FPS noob
the books are REALLY fun, the show is interesting in a "this is some cool sci fi shit going on yo" way but yeah it nosedives quite a bit after episode 5 or 6. Its been renewed for season 2. It was one of the most expensive shows Netflix made and its kinda hard to see where all that money went.

On the plus side a ton of hot chicks get SUPER naked a lot, including Dichen Lachman who is like mega naked for a good 5 minutes but in many ways its off putting like the Seinfeld episode, you see some unsexy angles and she looks super bony

• 1Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Seinfeld was the original knees to sharp boy.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I tried watching B5 for the first time, last month, and got through the first 2 episodes before stopping. I couldn't help but compare it with ST:TNG, where the CGI just looked terrible next to the Trek practical effects (ship models).

Since this thread got bumped (with all the people gushing about it) I decided to go back and power through some more episodes. I guess I eventually got used to the CGI, as by season 2, it didn't bother me, and I think it must have really improved by the end of season 4 (where I am now).

My biggest complaint is the cheesy TV fighting, but I have hard time with that cheese in any show I watch. Although I feel like, in order to add action, and knowing the CGI was shit (and/or expensive), they added extra fighting to the show.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
OMG-- good naked and bad naked... So true.

Look, "Altered Carbon" sucked, but there are some beautiful people in it. But Dichen Lachman not only is "bad naked," but her nude scene is really fucking disturbing for so many reasons; not the least of which is the entire concept of her stored clones all coming to life the way they did, the number of them, the ridiculousness of their tactics, as well as the handgun with 100 rounds was all so dumb and inconsistent. SOOOOOOOO stupid!!! But that scene is AC in a crucible.

By the way, hot and dead isn't hot. DL is really is one weird looking woman. Naked, she looks anorexic and flat as a board. Martha Higareda, on the other hand, was "good naked." Man that woman is one full-figured perfect petite cutie. Okay, the face isn't a 10; but damn she is cute in and out of her outfits!

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
you white ppl are crazy, that Dichen Lachman chick is just a skinny asian that's not ugly, and thats being flattering.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Siliconemelons

Finished my watch thru of DS9...

Spoilers:

The end was rushed.. And hollywood-ed

I get that everything is meant to wrap up in happy trek terms and magic black man is a god etc..

But one thing that they could have changed easy was to have Odo and Kira show up and the entire founders / great link were already all dead. And then Odo has to go out and find that one changeling that found him and then goes out to find the other "children" shot out...also bc he infected him and he will die also...so...that would be way better than... yeah odo says f-u all who the dominion killed (and will continue to) I am saving the founders... also section 31 would not have allowed him to do that as his intentions were known etc.

Other than that...not bad...oh and they should have also ended showing that there was a copy of the pa-wraith book

• 1Picard