Babylon 5

spronk

FPS noob
the funny thing is i never knew any of that shit before the last few posts and doubt i would have given a single fuck either way when i watched the show in the early 2000s, but nowadays its definitely a "SO STRONG, SO BRAVE" or "goddamn it, fuck this shit" kinda thing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
99% of the watchers never knew about this so you're arguing fanfic over a detail the studio nixed before the first episode.

That's like accepting all of JK Rowling's retcons as fact AND swearing they reshot all of the movies to include the changes.

• 1Solidarity

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I was active on that usenet board where JMS posted and so knew that transformation bit a long time ago. I just thought It was meant to reinforce the dramatic nature of the cocoon transformation other than 'congrats : you can have hair now and less makeup stuff to do each day'. Ultimately it wasn't needed.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
99% of the watchers never knew about this so you're arguing fanfic over a detail the studio nixed before the first episode.

not fanfic. It came from the creator while he was still creating it. If the studio was giving him shit, I bet he just avoided pronouns for him altogether. I bet it was the rah rah strong wimmin movement of a few years ago that made him retcon that and now he's kicking himself that he didn't stay on the tranny wagon the whole way.

• 1Picard

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I was gonna ask if this was worth watching, but it sounds like it is For a long time I had two shows left on my unwatched sci fi shows list: Deep Space Nine and Battlestar (2000's one). I'm most of the way done with DS9. Should I replace Battlestar with Babylon 5? Keep in mind that I watched the first season of Battlestar and REALLY liked it, so that'd be a much quicker watch (3 seasons) than B5 (5).

ShakyJake

<Donor>
B5 is my favorite sci-fi series of all time. But keep in mind the CGI will look pretty dated. Though season 3+ still looks decent imo.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I was gonna ask if this was worth watching, but it sounds like it is For a long time I had two shows left on my unwatched sci fi shows list: Deep Space Nine and Battlestar (2000's one). I'm most of the way done with DS9. Should I replace Battlestar with Babylon 5? Keep in mind that I watched the first season of Battlestar and REALLY liked it, so that'd be a much quicker watch (3 seasons) than B5 (5).
Watch battlestar seasons 1-3. Hard delete after that. Pretty much all of Babylon 5 is worth watching. Sending you my regrets.

Dune is my favorite sci fi of all time though, but not the watchable versions. Have to go back to the raw text to have your mind blown away. God emperor of the universe is the best written character ever.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Caliane

B5 is a heck of alot more soap opera then modern shows. Most of it, is not like modern stuff which has a more set narrative start to finish. Way more episodic drama then what you might expect these days.

PS. Jadzia Dax predates B5 by a month. deep space 9 beat b5 to a trans character even if Delann WAS.

lexx was 97.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Watch battlestar seasons 1-3. Hard delete after that. Pretty much all of Babylon 5 is worth watching. Sending you my regrets.

Dune is my favorite sci fi of all time though, but not the watchable versions. Have to go back to the raw text to have your mind blown away. God emperor of the universe is the best written character ever.
Second this. There are no words in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of Men to adequately describe how badly Season 4 ruins the series. I've never even gone back for a re-watch.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
BSG's tagline was "and they have a plan" but by season 4 it was clear both the cylons and writers did not have one. Then they made a spinoff movie to show how retarded the cylons were behind the scenes.

According to series creator Ronald D. Moore, the Cylons never had a plan; he explained during a Battlestar Galactica reunion panel at ATX Television Festival in 2017 that the line was added in because co-executive producer David Eick thought it sounded cool. Moore added, "For the next 14 years of my life people have asked me ‘What was the plan?’ There was no plan"

ShakyJake

<Donor>
For me, Sheridan going to Z'ha'dum was one of the most epic moments in sci-fi television. And one hell of a cliffhanger.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I just recently picked up...

20220915_144832.jpg

20220915_144828.jpg

20220915_144815.jpg

Well damn

• 4Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
did they model Londo Mollari mannerisms, character and speaking style on a sleazy Italian?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Anyone know if the audiobook is any decent? I have a ton of Audible credits.
I second regime. Audiobooks are great. On my second read through it shocked me just how much I had missed on what was going on.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>

Honestly, if you're going to dump one, it needs to be DS9. The other 2 are so much better.

And don't forget caprica while you're on the BSG kick. It's a prequel that shows how the cylons happened. It was fairly short lived so worth the time investment.

There are no words in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of Men to adequately describe how badly Season 4 ruins the series.

Meh. All scifi winds up ruining itself if allowed to run long enough. B5 nearly did too. While the last season (or was it 2) were rough, I thought the payoff at the end was fun. Better than what they did with the original series.