Babylon 5

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
G'kar and Londo continue to be two of my favorite characters in fiction.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

Yeah the prime version looks decent.

The lost tales in HD is so nice to see b5 crisp clear and yuuge

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

One of the best shot and emotional scenes in the entire series - but one of many awesome scenes throughout the series.

I would love a remake of B5 but gkar and londo must be the same actors... sadly gkar is dead :(

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Still remember the first Con I went to, Walter Koenig was sitting at an empty booth. First experience of being star struck. Walked up, just asked if I could shake his hand, which he did openly and willingly, and for his age, still a strong grip. I'm still confused how he was sitting there alone, garnishing zero attention. What the fuck, man. Though this was just before the comic con boom, I think around 2011. Thinking back, wishing I had had the money to get him to sign his psi corps photo, or taken a fuckin selfie...alas. Memory is worth more, imo.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Koenig I give props for not just being a one trick StarTrek pony - his work on B5 was very different than trek and he is awesome at being Bester.

• 2Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>

One of the best shot and emotional scenes in the entire series - but one of many awesome scenes throughout the series.

I would love a remake of B5 but gkar and londo must be the same actors... sadly gkar is dead :(
FYI that's my video upload. ;)

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I still have all the original DVD seasons for it, surprised there isn't rips of those out there.
Me too. I recall a disc being borked. Got one replaced. Still borked. Does that ring a bell to you? Think it was S4 something.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Me too. I recall a disc being borked. Got one replaced. Still borked. Does that ring a bell to you? Think it was S4 something.
My discs are fine, I did rewatch it in years past and do not recall any such issues even after all that time. Although, it wouldn't surprise me if a batch got borked they used to do some awful stamp methods for DVDs that far back.

• 2Like

Siliconemelons

Going to have to find the movies and the lost tales download - I don't think they are on amazon.

I guess the lost tales are not HD... but the new visuals are so much more clean and crisp than the orig that they look HD lol

• 2Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Babylon 5 is a perfect example of why you should use practical effects (in this case models) . The massive amounts of CGI are an enormous barrier to being remastered. Combine that with the original film probably being lost in a flood and SD is the best we will ever get. If I was Jeff Bezos rich getting Babylon 5 brought to HD would be one of my pet projects.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

Yeah, essentially all CG scenes and many, many internal matte and CG back shots must be redone manually.

And didn't during the stuff about The Lost Tales say they even lost the CG stuff from the orig CG firm and remade every CG model... if that stuff still exists it could be used to remake the scenes.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Yeah and I think all the CGI was rendered in 4:3 aspect so they couldn't even do a widescreen version.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Actually, you can look it up on the B5 reddit, or JMS twitter. All CGI was transferred to 16:9 film, for archiving. though the cgi files have been lost. the show can be remastered in HD directly from the film.

• 2Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The article I read about why there was no remastering is the CGI all has to be re-rendered for HD. Which they estimated would cost something like 25 million a season to remaster. Since the fan base is much smaller than Star Trek it would never happen basically. I sure hope it is wrong though.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

If it's all on physical 16:9 film can't it be scanned in HD+ ? Isn't film technically almost any rez it's the scan?

I am sure transferring it now is much cheaper than it was even just a few years ago.

• 1Like