Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Caliane

I think the actual rule is one of the spells has to be a cantrip? There are bonus action cantrips, I think if you use a bonus cantrip you can still cast a normal action spell of any level.

I always house-ruled this to be "you can't use more than your highest available spell level in total spell slots per round." Meaning if you're level 9 with access to L5 spells, you could cast a L2 bonus action spell and a L3 spell as your regular action. Upcasting counts against it, so if you use Fireball as the L3 in that example, it can't be upcasted to a L4 or L5 slot. Similarly, if you cast a Magic Missile but using a L5 slot, the only other thing you would be able to cast is a cantrip (L0).

Bonus Action​

A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. You must use a bonus action on your turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven’t already taken a bonus action this turn. You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

doesnt matter if the Bonus action is a cantrip or not. its the action that must be a cantrip if you cast a spell as a BA. yes, its something house ruled often. many people think its too restrictive/confusing.
(this does not apply to reactions)

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Some serious hardcore D&D nerds in here with good min/maxer info. I just wanted to roleplay a Drow Rogue and go around purifying the sycophants of their globohomo agenda.

• 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I’ll play a min/max evil build solo probably, but wait a few weeks after release so my original play through with friends doesn’t get any spoilers. I gotta imagine paladin / lock or paladin / sorc probably can go solo or duo.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Monk might also be a good solo choice, as well as cleric if you can make a good battle cleric here with buffs and heals, maybe some CC, but primarily melee damage.

Burns

There is no Hexblade in the game and the house rules weapon bond isn't until level 3 lock, so Hexadin isn't going to be as OP as reported by PnP people.

Sorcadin doesn't have the best option (Clockwork soul), at least according to RPGbot.

Bardadin looks to have the right sub-classes in game for the PnP builds though.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Depending on how they implement crossbow mastery and itemization you can do some pretty dumb shit with valor bards and range attacks.

5E clerics are pretty much tank-mages too, even without sketchy powergamer builds. They have some pretty sick cantrips, including aoe.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is tabletop really a good build source here? They're adapting 5e, not copying it from what I understand, and itemization is going to be a lot more powerful which will likely be build enabling / meta defining. Melee tends to scale best with items in my experience in crpgs. Plus tadpole powers and the possibility of other unique systems like that later in the game. Unless there's something like merged spellbook from WotR, I dont see casters being OP.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
It's been a long time since I looked at 5e but for some reason I remember base fighter specialized in longbow could fucking tear things apart because of damage bonus, attacks of opportunity, and feats.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Monk might also be a good solo choice, as well as cleric if you can make a good battle cleric here with buffs and heals, maybe some CC, but primarily melee damage.
Unless they screwed with the good stuff level wise, you're probably better off playing something else. You get the best things for the class past 12, which apparently is the max level.

Monk

I'm not thinking about the specialty schools, but all the core cool monk skills are much higher level. They're not bad, but just so many of the other classes are much better.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I mean really. Just play what you want. It should all be viable short of Unfair/Tactician where you have to make certain decisions to not gimp yourself.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
BG had Barbarians though.

The story I was told was that the first Baldurs Gate started development before the Complete Barbarians Handbook was released in 1995 (that is what added Barbs to 2e). By the time the game came out (1998) Barbarians were in 2e but still not part of the core game per se.

2nd edition was a mess. Less of a mess than AD&D / D&D and all that confusion between the two, but nevertheless a mess.

• 1Like

Caliane

Is tabletop really a good build source here? They're adapting 5e, not copying it from what I understand, and itemization is going to be a lot more powerful which will likely be build enabling / meta defining. Melee tends to scale best with items in my experience in crpgs. Plus tadpole powers and the possibility of other unique systems like that later in the game. Unless there's something like merged spellbook from WotR, I dont see casters being OP.
It's been a long time since I looked at 5e but for some reason I remember base fighter specialized in longbow could fucking tear things apart because of damage bonus, attacks of opportunity, and feats.
yeah, these are both very good points. level 12 cap, raw fighter is likely going to be much stronger then any caster. basic ass longbow fighter would be a machine.

tadpoles, and what items are in the game will effect best choices as well. And just in general, how class abilities, feats, and spells are translated into the game.

• 1Like

Burns

Until we get the full release and it's been played through to the endgame, the PnP is all we have to go on. Since EA was just the first chapter with a level 4 cap(?), it's not really a good judge of how classes will ultimately play out.

Using PnP as a guide can at least give you an idea of what a class will be able to do, up to level 12, to help people already have an idea when the game is released, and not spend hours on indecision sitting in character creation.

The respec option should alleviate some trepidation on picking a class, but you will always been locked into the same race.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Yes, as someone who has only ever played that one adventure and forever DM'd everything else, I agree.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Depending on how they implement crossbow mastery and itemization you can do some pretty dumb shit with valor bards and range attacks.

5E clerics are pretty much tank-mages too, even without sketchy powergamer builds. They have some pretty sick cantrips, including aoe.
Drow Handcrossbow Sword Bard hmmmmmmm!?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So for the last 20 years of replaying BG1/2, I've always used a level uncapper as part of a huge number of changes to the game (along with a ton of difficulty and content mods...). With how much content BG3 alleges I wonder how much time will be spent at the level cap, which can get kinda stale. What are the odds that this uncap mod or one like it will be non-terrible?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

Tempest cleric will probably be crazy strong.