Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Now I'm hoping they didn't gimp the UI too much to account for the console/stadia shit. Anyone have experience with DoS2's console versions?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I fully expect some old characters will make an appearance. But not as party members. It depends on what the actual cannon ending from BGII they end up using is. To make narratives easier I suspect that they will just say that the Bhaalspawn disappeared to his eternal realm and hasn't been heard from since. Or something like that.

It will not be about the bhaalspawn story at all. That arc ended 16 years ago. Since we have Mindflayers we can probably expect an excursion into the Underdark too! My favorite!

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Some of y'all that remember the monster manual a little better than I do, was that a mind flayer?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It will not be about the bhaalspawn story at all. That arc ended 16 years ago. Since we have Mindflayers we can probably expect an excursion into the Underdark too! My favorite!

This wouldn't surprise me, but the teaser makes it look like a Mindflayer fleet straight out of Spelljammer has arrived above the city, so the threat might just be from above rather than below. Or maybe both.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This wouldn't surprise me, but the teaser makes it look like a Mindflayer fleet straight out of Spelljammer has arrived above the city, so the threat might just be from above rather than below. Or maybe both.

Spelljammer is usually weird as fuck. I'm down. Sailing the Astral Sea huh?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Some of y'all that remember the monster manual a little better than I do, was that a mind flayer?

They literally eat minds and mind control people and usually work in the shadows like master spies. In normal D&D there aren't many of them, but they're actually a galaxy spanning empire when you bring in Spelljammer stuff.

Think of what a Lovecraftian humanoid would be like and you're not far off.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

You can read about them here:

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah and they reproduce via injecting larvae into your skull that eat your brain and turn your body into another illithid. They feed on sentient brains. They are far more awesome than the Intellect Devourers in Pathfinder.

They don't use magic at all but use Psionic powers. They're probably the most hated race in Forgotten Realms. Everyone hates them. Back in BGII they were an incredibly annoying enemy to fight. I remember the secret base in BGII that had a bunch of vampire illithids. Talk about rage inducing enemies.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
  • 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It is set 100 years after BGII.

I didn't really follow the happenings of FR with all the revamps, is that how much time has passed since the time of troubles? Anything important to know about the city that happened in that period?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

This is a clever tie in btw. Because this was setup in BGII even if you didn't interact with it. The secret illithid stronghold in the Athkatla Sewer is one of the easiest things to miss in the game even though getting the key to it was quite natural just playing through. You needed incredibly high perception AND to return to a location you already visited and cleared out to find the entrance.

The only hint you get is that the key smells like the sewer and whatever other dialogue might vaguely hint at it.

I also hope they explore the idea of The Adversary to Illithid. Which is also mentioned a lot in BGII.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I didn't really follow the happenings of FR with all the revamps, is that how much time has passed since the time of troubles? Anything important to know about the city that happened in that period?
I'm not familiar with a lot of the details, but since the 4th edition ruleset changed so many things mechanically from previous editions, they decided to reflect that narratively with a 100-year time jump, during which a bunch of apocalyptic stuff happened--the goddess of magic is killed, magic goes all fucky (explaining why it's not Vancian in 4E) a bunch of the "and then they showed up and saved the day" characters (Elminster, etc) got merced in the process, bits of other worlds got transposed (explaining where new races came from), and so on and so forth. Not sure how much of that carried over to 5E, but it seems the time jump at least stuck.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Yah, well, we've heard that before.

But, again, it is Larian Studios. Maybe it'll stick.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If this is in Stadia's lineup its not exclusive to Stadia's streaming model right? Because that would be pants on head retarded.